Get more fruit!!

Options
10 easy tricks to boost your fruit intake

According to MyPyramid.gov, women should aim for at least two cups of fruit per day; more if they're physically active. Here are some suggestions to help you boost your fruit intake to healthier levels and you might just lose a few pounds along the way.

We know you'd rather order the cheesecake, but we've come up with a fair compromise. Many restaurants serve fruit dishes with a tasty indulgence like a sugar cookie, a scoop of sorbet or a selection of cheeses on the side. Opt for that.
Feast away on apple slices throughout the day, and you'll be less tempted to hit up the vending machine to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Are late-night ice cream cravings your diet downfall? Snack on frozen grapes instead. They're sweet, crunchy and cold and they'll make you forget about that pint of Ben & Jerry's in your freezer.
When eating at fast-food chains, order a fruit cup instead of fries.

Doughnuts and bagels may be the usual morning snack at work, but wow your colleagues with a parfait of frozen berries, yogurt and low-fat granola.
If you usually eat chips with your lunchtime sandwich, try eating grapefruit instead. Peel and section a grapefruit in the morning before you go to work, and toss it in a plastic zipper bag.
Jazz up your breakfast by tossing a handful of berries on cold cereal or adding sliced peaches to oatmeal.

Need to whip up a tasty dinner party dish? Try making a fruity dessert. Slice strawberries and mix with raspberries and blueberries. Top with a quick syrup: Simmer 1/2 cup water with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon amaretto until reduced to 1/4 cup. Cool and pour over the fruit for an out-of-this-world finale.

Appetizers can be a dieter's downfall, packed with calories and loaded with fat. Amaze your friends with a delicious, colorful and low-calorie fruit kabob appetizer. Cut a variety of fruit to skewer on a bamboo stick, including red and green grapes, pineapple chunks, strawberries, sliced bananas, cubed pears…the sky is the limit! If preparing in advance, drizzle the fruit with lemon juice to prevent the bananas and pears from turning brown.
Keep a bowl of fresh fruit on your kitchen counter. You're more likely to grab an apple, tangerine or peach if it's in sight.

Reviewed By: Susan Janoff, MS RD LD/N

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    10 easy tricks to boost your fruit intake

According to MyPyramid.gov, women should aim for at least two cups of fruit per day; more if they're physically active. Here are some suggestions to help you boost your fruit intake to healthier levels and you might just lose a few pounds along the way.

We know you'd rather order the cheesecake, but we've come up with a fair compromise. Many restaurants serve fruit dishes with a tasty indulgence like a sugar cookie, a scoop of sorbet or a selection of cheeses on the side. Opt for that.
    Feast away on apple slices throughout the day, and you'll be less tempted to hit up the vending machine to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Are late-night ice cream cravings your diet downfall? Snack on frozen grapes instead. They're sweet, crunchy and cold and they'll make you forget about that pint of Ben & Jerry's in your freezer.
    When eating at fast-food chains, order a fruit cup instead of fries.

Doughnuts and bagels may be the usual morning snack at work, but wow your colleagues with a parfait of frozen berries, yogurt and low-fat granola.
    If you usually eat chips with your lunchtime sandwich, try eating grapefruit instead. Peel and section a grapefruit in the morning before you go to work, and toss it in a plastic zipper bag.
    Jazz up your breakfast by tossing a handful of berries on cold cereal or adding sliced peaches to oatmeal.

Need to whip up a tasty dinner party dish? Try making a fruity dessert. Slice strawberries and mix with raspberries and blueberries. Top with a quick syrup: Simmer 1/2 cup water with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon amaretto until reduced to 1/4 cup. Cool and pour over the fruit for an out-of-this-world finale.

Appetizers can be a dieter's downfall, packed with calories and loaded with fat. Amaze your friends with a delicious, colorful and low-calorie fruit kabob appetizer. Cut a variety of fruit to skewer on a bamboo stick, including red and green grapes, pineapple chunks, strawberries, sliced bananas, cubed pears…the sky is the limit! If preparing in advance, drizzle the fruit with lemon juice to prevent the bananas and pears from turning brown.
    Keep a bowl of fresh fruit on your kitchen counter. You're more likely to grab an apple, tangerine or peach if it's in sight.

Reviewed By: Susan Janoff, MS RD LD/N
  • eammarx
    eammarx Posts: 56
    Options
    Great suggestions! I was just thinking last night about how I have almost no fruit in my house. I haven't eaten fuit in days. I craved, craved, craved a juicy plum, peach or grape after my work out last night. So I need to go to the store and stock up. Apple slices sound soooo good right now.
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm pretty much in love with all types of fruit. It's so easy to just throw a big red apple or banana in your purse for emergency situations. (I have low blood sugar, so I always have to have something with me!) Also, Larabars are basically the BEST THINGS EVER! I love when I find a snack bar with ingredients that you can read in 5 seconds and actually understand what they are! Look for them in your nutrition aisle at your grocery store; they're excellent. My favorite things to eat fruit with are...

natural vanilla yogurt with raspberries, peaches, blackberries, or strawberries (if you put the fruit in and then smash it up a little bit it acts as a natural sweetener for unsweetened yogurt)

oatmeal

salads (try: cranberry apple walnut, or strawberries and almonds)

mixed fruit chopped up with some fat free cool whip on top is yummy :smile:

and anytime during the day when you need a little boost, a medium sized apple has tons of energy in it, and you'll feel good eating it!!