Some advice needed please

Options
I have one stone to lose and am looking to build up my general level of fitness and stamina. Getting fit is more of a goal for me than losing weight as I am not particularly overweight, just very unfit!

I have started doing the elliptical cross trainer for 20 mins at a time at levels 1 and 2, which I wil do about 4 days a week (will build up my time slowly on this). I have this equipment in my garage.

Also I do a hatha yoga class (beginners level) for 1.5 hours once a week.

Could anyone recommend any other excercises I should do?

What would be the best overall activity to build my stamina - swimming? sit ups? hand weights? running?

I don't belong to a gym so would probably excercise at home apart from the swimming.

Thanks.
Debbie

Replies

• lovechocolate
    Options
    I have one stone to lose and am looking to build up my general level of fitness and stamina. Getting fit is more of a goal for me than losing weight as I am not particularly overweight, just very unfit!

I have started doing the elliptical cross trainer for 20 mins at a time at levels 1 and 2, which I wil do about 4 days a week (will build up my time slowly on this). I have this equipment in my garage.

What would be the best overall activity to build my stamina - swimming? sit ups? hand weights? running?

I don't belong to a gym so would probably excercise at home apart from the swimming.

Thanks.
    Debbie
  • lisabeavers
    Options
    for stamina, id say cardio -- and lots of it. try interval training on your elliptical, but also get out and walk and run and swim and do all things cardio. To build muscle, try strength training. Yoga is great -- it will help with muscle, and reduce stress and increase flexibility.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I decided that I am going to run a 5K, and I am following a couch-to-5K plan that was designed by Kaiser Permanente to help increase fitness and stamina without injuring oneself. In the beginning, you walk briskly. Then you walk for 3 minutes and run(jog) for one minute. (total time spent exercising increases too, from 15 min. in the begining to 30 min.) then you walk for 2 minutes and run for one. Then you walk for one, run for one. Then you walk for one, run for two, etc. keep increasing the amount of time spent running and decreasing the time spent walking until you can run for 15 minutes. You run on Mon, rest Tuesday. Run Wed., 30 min. of cardio Thurs. Rest Fri. Run Sat, walk 30 min. Sunday. The rest is just as important as the running, because that's when your body repairs itself and recuperates for the next run. You can't run every day, and you shouldn't try. I had a tough time in the beginning, but now I can run a whole mile without stopping (about 13-15 minutes). And I feel so much fitter thanwhen I started.

Good luck!
  • redsrandomthoughts
    Options
    The biggest loser has some great cardio exercise videos if thats what you are into. My friend Christina came over just this morning and she works out on the elpitcals for an hour everyday. She said she can tell she got a better workout from the Biggest Loser Boot Camp then she did when she works out on the elpitcals for an hour but it was all packed into 30 minutes. Mind you we did the warm up the first phase and the cool down. There are 3 phases on the dvd plus the warm up and cool down. You work every part of your body with this video. You can use weights or not use weights. I know it kicks my *kitten* when I do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options

Thanks.
    Debbie
    Your elliptical I run 45 min it's hard but it's worth it also I do pilates the more muscle built the higher the metabolism which means the more calories burned doing something to nothing. I do 45 min pilates and 45 min on my elliptical everyday. I might drop the pilates to 30 min but I always always run for that 45 at least sometimes I add another 30 min o n there later lots of running.
  • Christianmom
    Christianmom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Before my knee surgery, I used to run 3 miles about 5-6 times a week. It was great, my asthma was better and my migraines were lessened. I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted. I also take Tae Kwon Do which is great for building strength, confidence, and stamina. Especially the sparring portion. If you get the right instructors they will work you hard and you will see improvements and you may really enjoy it. It's good for the mind, body, and spirit.
    I'm at a Green Belt level, but messed up my shoulder doing lawnwork this summer, so I had a rotator repaired. Now I'm back on the treadmill trying to get myself back into shape after letting myself go for about 5 years (except for my TKD). At nearly 52, I don't know if I'll ever make it to BlackBelt, but I am really motivated to keep moving through the ranks.