Confused

Options
Help!

So I've been using myfitnesspal with varied consistency over the past few months, but after being told by the doctor to get my health in check I thought I should probably be more serious about it. (I use the excuse that a lot of the foods I have aren't on there, but they are, or at least a slight variation of it).

I was recently diagnosed with a medical condition that makes me insulin resistant (not diabetic), but was told any weight loss will be slow for me, and most with my condition respond better to a low carb diet than any other option.

SO - as of 2 weeks ago, I started working out daily (I alternate between running 3 times/wk, workout videos 2-3 times/wk and yoga 1-2 times/wk), and eating heatlhy for the most part. I stopped eating white carbs, and haven't had pasta, potatoes or rice. The only thing is a bit of rye or a whole wheat roti here and there.

I am trying to reduce my carb intake but I noticed that when I log on myfitnesspal a lot of other things (fruit, carrots, beans) are still quite high on their carb content. So although I have a 30/40/60 plan for my carb/fat/protein I'm usually always way below protein, over carbs and generally too low on net calories.

Not too shockingly, in 2 weeks I haven't really noticed a difference. I do eat breakfast/lunch/dinner consistently, however I haven't really snacked (will be adding a protein shake and/or nuts or something to snack on twice a day and bring up calories).

I have a question though, for those who are slow on weight loss, or need to cut carbs - do you watch carbs in everything you eat and keep under that level, OR do you just avoid white carbs all together (as I have). I really miss fruit & fibre cereal, or muesli with yoghurt/milk, or porridge.

And honestly, since I've gone to such minimal carbs, my running has become awful, my legs ache to run - which was never a problem before. When you're low carb, what do you eat to maintain the ability to run? Or should it just all come from fruit/veg/beans?

Also, I know, I know they say that if you eat under your calorie goals you will not lose weight - but the concept of snacking just seems crazy to me (however, maybe because I used to snack on chocolate bars and chips).

And cheat meals or cheat days? I can't imagine I could go on forever without another piece of cake or muffin in my life - I can avoid all other white carbs easily (I don't like white bread, enjoy whole wheat pasta and brown rice in general more than white - even though I've had neither in a while), however - I LOVE baking goodies and want to indulge occasionally.

Sorry - I'm just so confused - any advice/direction would help! I used to be a skinny mini - but in 3 yrs I've put on 2.5 stone and many inches. I couldn't care less about the scale, as long as I lose the inches!

Thank you!
- M

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistant huh? You wouldn't have PCOS by any chance? If so there are loads of us here on MFP. Add me if you're looking for friends, I'm happy to help out!
  • MKB83
    MKB83 Posts: 31
    Options
    Yep!
    PCOS - most people I speak to haven't a clue what I'm talking about - so I just started saying insulin resistant and it seems to make more sense.

Still totally confused, though! :smile:
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It sounds very scary when you know nothing about it, but don't worry there are so many of us on MFP you'll have a strong support network in no time.

Where are you? I'm in the UK
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm not neccessarily doing a low carb diet, but I've been trying to reduce carbs and increase protien to maintain muscle while doing insanity. I've noticed similar things that you have mentioned. It is very hard to hit protien count and stay below carbs. I try to eat food and avoid bread in general. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I changed my breakfast from bagel (tons of carbs) to 3 boiled egg whites and 1 boiled egg with yolk. My carb count dropped dramatically from that alone. Also, I am trying to eat more salads with chicken and tuna fish (no bread) to increase protien while keeping carbs low. These are just a few ideas. Sorry if it's not much help.

As for the snacking thing; I've been researching and see tons of information about changing/increasing metabolism. All of the research mentions eating more than the normal three times a day. Preferably six times. So snacks are good and eating too little will put your body in starvation mode which will make you store fat easier. Some forums have suggested that people increase thier caloric intake to loose weight. Sounds ridiculous right? But it makes a little sense. Our bodies are very complex and will change accordingly. If we eat too little, as I've said, you will store fat. If you eat enough and frequently, your body knows energy is coming in and will not have to store as much fat.

Carbs are a great energy source and cutting them will definitely make it harder to run and other things. As long as you are getting your nutrients, I wouldn't worried about the decreased performance in runnning. Just keep pushing hard and trying to improve it again. You are no longer working off the excess carbs that you used to give your body, but rather the energy you have already stored (fat).

Anyway, goodluck and I really hope this helps. I'm new to the dieting thing so I wouldn't take my words for gold, but it is based off things I've been finding in researching how to get some decent results.