Looking for a healthy pumpkin soup recipe

Options
What is YOUR version?? I love this in the fall!
:love:

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin SOUP...ommagod. Sounds delish!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I"ve been making this Thai Pumpkin Soup from Cooking Light for years. It 's bookmarked and dog-eared and stained in my copy of the purple CL compilation cookbook from about 1999. Delicious, light, and easy:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=48701

edit:

Thai-Style Pumpkin Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 7 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main dish Soup / Chili
    Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

29 ounces fat-free chicken broth -- low sodium, 2 cans
    15 ounces canned pumpkin
    12 ounces mango juice
    1/4 cup peanut butter -- reduced fat
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 1/2 tablespoons green onion -- minced
    1 teaspoon grated ginger root
    1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 garlic clove -- crushed
    chopped cilantro -- optional

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

Combine 1 cup pumpkin mixture and peanut butter and blend until smooth (I just stirred it up, no need to use a blender)

Return mixture to pan. Stir in vinegar through garlic and cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Serving size 1 cup - garnish with cilantro if desired.

Description:
    "a savory peanut soup with a hint of ginger and pupmkin"
    Cuisine:
    "Thai"
    Source:
    "Cooking Light Complete Cookbook"
    Copyright:
    "� Copyright Southern Progress Corporation, 2000. All rights reserved. Privacy policy"
    Yield:
    "7 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 105 Calories; 5g Fat (34.6% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 294mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Tasty - mostly tasted like peanuts with a hint of pumpkin and ginger. Creamy and smooth.

enjoy!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I use the Country Living Pumpkin Chicken Chowder version. You can add the corn or not, all optional, but I LOVE it!

http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/pumpkin-chicken-chowder-3417

A dollop of sour cream and some fresh jalapenos on top for garnish.

I also use jarred prepared roasted red peppers because it's a LOT of work to roast and peel them yourself...
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    When a recipe calls for cream use canned evaporated 2% milk undilluted. So if it calls for 1c. cream use 1c. 2% evaporated milk.
    The only way you would notice the difference is if you had a bowl of the original recipe right next to the new version.
  • cacraft
    Options
    When a recipe calls for cream use canned evaporated 2% milk undilluted. So if it calls for 1c. cream use 1c. 2% evaporated milk.
    The only way you would notice the difference is if you had a bowl of the original recipe right next to the new version.

Great tip - thanks!
  • missjessica83
    Options
    I like to roast mine in cubes first (dry roast or with a spray of 1cal to stop it sticking) with crushed dried garlic and herbs, little seasoning and roast till really squishy and a little coloured then use chicken or veg stock or bouillon and top up with boiling water till veg covered, simmer gently till all mushed up, mash with potato masher to break up and blitz adding more water until consistency is as you like it (i like mine real thick )i do this with sweet potato and butternut squash too :)
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Butternut or Pumpkin Soup

1 onion chopped
    1 or 2 carrots chopped
    1 or 2 medium diced potatoes
    2 cups diced butternut squash or pumpkin, roasted ahead of time
    2 cloves garlic
    2 T. olive oil
    1 t. dried thyme
    1 t. dried oregano
    1/2 t. dried rosemary
    approx 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    Salt and fresh ground pepper

Saute onion, carrots, garlic in the oil. Add herbs, stock, squash and potatoes. Simmer until all vegs are soft. Puree. Add a little milk or cream if desired.

Sooooo good.
  • brl77
    Options
    I make an awesome butternut squash soup that pumpkin can be a great substitute!

Ingredients
    1 (2 to 3 pound) butternut squash, peeled and seeded
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    6 cups chicken stock
    Nutmeg
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
    Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. In large pot melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Place in a blender and puree. Return to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Serve.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I made Pumpkin with Ham soup ...and it was delish. There are some recipes on Cooks.com. I kind of winged mine,

sauteed onion and garlic in a little bit of butter(or evoo) poured in 1 box of chicken stock, 1 cup of pumpkin, and chunks of ham! It was simple and really good. Can adapt it fairly easily with seasonings.
  • missysmission777
    missysmission777 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This I will try...... I love soups anykind of soup...... this sounds yummy... thanks for sharing your recipe....
  • nveer
    nveer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love all theswe recipes. Wish the servings and calories were listed with them. Anyone?