boss

Options
ratkaj
ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
So here is some background info. My boss used to be in HR but switched a few years ago to be a graphic designer (which is what I am). Now she is an art director and is also my boss. I took this job last May and everything was good for a while but in the last few months she has been very cold to me and sort of catty. She has had a history of being sort of difficult and inappropriate (swearing in the office, picking fights with people, being combative, general cattyness). She blows stuff out of proportion and if she is mad at you she won't talk to you for days....

So, I haven't been very happy here and I started to look for a new job. I was offered a job with a growing firm in the area so I gave my notice at my current job. My boss was out of town for 3 days so I went to the creative director (her boss) and gave her my letter of resignation. Then called my boss on the phone and let her know what is going on. My thought was that I was giving them the most notice that I could and was being respectful of their time.

Yesterday, my boss comes into the office and as very short with me all day (I figured she was upset with me for leaving). At the end of the day she comes into my cubical and says "just for future reference, going to _____ to resign was uncool. You know you can call me when I'm on a photoshoot that's what you should have done." I responded "well you were out of the office, and I wanted to turn in my letter to someone who was here so I could give you enough notice."

Am I crazy or was she really unprofessional? The person that I turned my letter into was the same person that wrote my offer letter and did my job negotiation. Was I wrong?

Replies

• HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shes got something stuck up her *kitten*! I would have told her, there is no future reference because I wont be here much longer and I dont appreciate your tone. Maybe no one stands up to her and thats why she gets away with her antics. I know alot of people like that, they walk over those who will let them. You did the right thing and her opinion doesnt mean sqaut! Just bask in the fact that your moving on to bigger and better things but dont put up with any of her BS before you leave.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Unprofessional and she needs to take that big huge stick out of her *kitten*. I hate people like this. Just because they are miserable and unprofessional doesn't mean they have to spew their *kitten* everywhere.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    No, you were not wrong. You did what you had to do. you did call her so what is she complaining about?! Shesh! I'm glad you got a new job!!
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    First off, graphic designers, yeayuh! *fistbump*

Secondly, no, I don't think you were wrong at all. If someone's acting like that then obviously they have some kind of issue with themselves and they have to belittle others to make them feel important. Everything she observes is threatening to her because she is insecure. She probably feels the need to control things and people because it validates her self-importance, since she cant find it internaly on her own. Ignore it, you'll be out of there soon and at a better job.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    No, what you did was fine. She's pissed - it happens. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the next few days she just tells you to not come back - expect it to happen. Sometimes people just can't handle when one of their staff leaves. Remember, most people never quit a job, they quit a boss. ;) Good luck with your new adventure!
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Sounds like a micromanager with control issues...

Good luck with the new job!
  • danstvguy
    Options
    Actually I'd agree with your boss. I think it would have been correct to wait and present it to her personally. It might have even been her "mea culpa" moment.
  • ratkaj
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I just needed to make sure I wasn't way off here. She made me feel like crap last night and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Thanks!!
  • ratkaj
    Options
    Actually I'd agree with your boss. I think it would have been correct to wait and present it to her personally. It might have even been her "mea culpa" moment.

I was going to wait but if I did it would have been less than 2 weeks but by doing it Monday it was 2weeks and 2 days notice...
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    LOL - with people like that I can think of far less professional ways of leaving :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If you've made the firm decision that you are leaving, you are professionally obligated (not legally) to turn in a written notice of resignation for your personnel file 2 weeks before you plan to leave. You are NOT obligated to wait until your boss is available. So if your boss isn't around to give it to, then you give it someone else. You still called to tell your boss, which is more than I would have done for a boss like that. If you are still unsure what you want to do and you want to try to work things out before quitting, then you can wait for the boss.

At my first job out of college, I had been with the company for 2.5 years, and I had been thinking about leaving for about 6 months. One day, my boss did something that was just unacceptable to me, and I went home that day and sent out resumes. I got a phone call the next day from one of the companies I applied to and set up an interview. Two days after the interview, I was offered the job. I accepted it and wrote my letter of resignation. I kept waiting for literally ANY opportunity to hand deliver it to my boss, even though I didn't feel he deserved that level of respect after what he did, but he was simply never in the office, so I e-mailed him the letter and gave a copy to the HR manager for my file.

When he finally came back to the office a week later, he came in and talked to me, and we seemed to be leaving things on good terms. He made arrangements for me to train my replacement, and I thought everything was fine. Then one day, he comes in (a week before I was scheduled to leave for good) and tells me to pack up my personal things and get out. I was only too happy to leave, but the whole situation was just weird. Bosses like that simply don't deserve much professional courtesy.