Dance Dance Revolution

Options
Something for the kids to try, or an ambitious adult - Dance Dance Revolution. The game is available for Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation 1 and 2 (no 3 yet i dont think), the Wii, and you can get Stepmania for the computer for free, you just need a converter for the game pad to attach it to a USB port.

The game also requires a dance pad, which you can either buy as a bundle with the game, buy a bormal pad seperately for about US $20, a foam pad for maybe $50, or a metal pad, which is about $100 and up.

The premise of the game is that arrows for left, right, up, and down go up the screen, and when they reach the top, you step on the corresponding spot on the gamepad, which is under your feet.

There's all the technical stuffs The game comes with a built-in calorie counter after you enter your weight, which is great. You can dance a song and see how much you burn per song. You can even enter how many cals you want to burn per session and it counts down for you in the later games. You can really get a great workout in once you get going, even if you are a beginner, it makes you step and jump like you are walking, except you're playing a game :smile:

I personally play a little lower than my top level, so I can marathon-play for about half an hour to an hour. I try and start with a harder song to get my heart rate up, and then play average songs to keep it up. Sweating bullets is an understatement, definitely have a towel and a glass of water handy. The songs have different level difficulties, currently I'm playing the 5-7 level for a while, and that is the best workout ever for me. I hate going to the gym because I find it incredibly boring, but this is a game :heart: There's also tons of articles out there, and some news stories even, of how much this works.

Replies

• NickyJones
    NickyJones Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Something for the kids to try, or an ambitious adult - Dance Dance Revolution. The game is available for Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation 1 and 2 (no 3 yet i dont think), the Wii, and you can get Stepmania for the computer for free, you just need a converter for the game pad to attach it to a USB port.

The game also requires a dance pad, which you can either buy as a bundle with the game, buy a bormal pad seperately for about US $20, a foam pad for maybe $50, or a metal pad, which is about $100 and up.

The premise of the game is that arrows for left, right, up, and down go up the screen, and when they reach the top, you step on the corresponding spot on the gamepad, which is under your feet.

There's all the technical stuffs The game comes with a built-in calorie counter after you enter your weight, which is great. You can dance a song and see how much you burn per song. You can even enter how many cals you want to burn per session and it counts down for you in the later games. You can really get a great workout in once you get going, even if you are a beginner, it makes you step and jump like you are walking, except you're playing a game :smile:

I personally play a little lower than my top level, so I can marathon-play for about half an hour to an hour. I try and start with a harder song to get my heart rate up, and then play average songs to keep it up. Sweating bullets is an understatement, definitely have a towel and a glass of water handy. The songs have different level difficulties, currently I'm playing the 5-7 level for a while, and that is the best workout ever for me. I hate going to the gym because I find it incredibly boring, but this is a game :heart: There's also tons of articles out there, and some news stories even, of how much this works.
  • furrflys
    Options
    good to know!!
    Thanks
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It is truly a fun and addictive game. When my roommate in college had it, I'd play for 2 hours or more, with breaks for rest, of course. I play on the hardest songs, due to a lot of practice (as in...I had too much time on my hands), and after 3 or 4, I'm pretty much done....well, until I take a rest and someone else plays one song. :laugh:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I need to drag mine out of the closet. I forgot about it. It is fun but I never did the workout ones. I only did the easy ones, guess it's time to change that!! Thanks for the reminder.

Memaw
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I bought the Dancing with the stars version and found it really, REALLY hard to do. ): I suck at coordination
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Its good!!

Another one we just got for the Wii was Active Life Outdoor Challenge- same concept with the mat and all...but you are in outdoor challenges. Haven played it much, but what I did play, it was FUN!!ANother great and really fun way to get your heart pumping.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    Love, love, love DDR!

I'm not sure if the other game systems have the "friendship" mode, but it is super fun to play with someone else. My daughter and I play on the wii and laughed, danced, and laughed some more. She doesn't like to run or ride bikes, so I compromised and I'm glad I did.