HELP! I can't tame the beast within!

Options
Hi all. I am new to this website and have recently decided to get my weight under control and lead an overall healthier lifestyle. I have being doing WW since June and have lost 11 lbs and just started doing a BootCamp at my gym for the next 6 weeks to help jumpstart my weight loss. With working out 4-5/ week I don't want to undo all that good by eating poorly. So I am trying my hardest to count calories and keep it under 1500/day to start. However, by lunchtime/ mid afternoon I have become very, very grumpy and all I can think about is junk food. Once I finally breakdown and have some chocolate (M&Ms, or some other sort of candy) I feel SOO much better and can continue on my day eating healthy. I have been doing really well otherwise- it's just this chocolate/ candy binge I cannot get control of!!! (and I have tried filling up on healthy foods- no good- I still intensely crave the junk)

Help!! Is the grumpiness my body physically craving the junk food? (that's what it feels like) If so, what have other people down to get control of this? Any good low calorie chocolate foods/ baked goods I can make in the meantime to slowly wean myself off this? I want to go cold turkey, but I really don't think I have the strength to nor do I want to be snapping at my one year old :(

Any advice, help, tips is so greatly appreciated.

Replies

• EmmaK47
    Options
    Hi all. I am new to this website and have recently decided to get my weight under control and lead an overall healthier lifestyle. I have being doing WW since June and have lost 11 lbs and just started doing a BootCamp at my gym for the next 6 weeks to help jumpstart my weight loss. With working out 4-5/ week I don't want to undo all that good by eating poorly. So I am trying my hardest to count calories and keep it under 1500/day to start. However, by lunchtime/ mid afternoon I have become very, very grumpy and all I can think about is junk food. Once I finally breakdown and have some chocolate (M&Ms, or some other sort of candy) I feel SOO much better and can continue on my day eating healthy. I have been doing really well otherwise- it's just this chocolate/ candy binge I cannot get control of!!! (and I have tried filling up on healthy foods- no good- I still intensely crave the junk)

Help!! Is the grumpiness my body physically craving the junk food? (that's what it feels like) If so, what have other people down to get control of this? Any good low calorie chocolate foods/ baked goods I can make in the meantime to slowly wean myself off this? I want to go cold turkey, but I really don't think I have the strength to nor do I want to be snapping at my one year old :(

Any advice, help, tips is so greatly appreciated.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Why not try limiting your chocolate intake? You can still have it, just in moderation. :flowerforyou: Instead of having five fist-full's of M&Ms, try having one serving (not sure what that is, sorry, lol). Instead of having a Hershey's bar, try a 60-calorie Hershey Stick (they're yummy!). Instead of having 10 Oreos, have two (80 calories). And, opt for dark chocolate, too. :smile: It's much better for you!
  • furrflys
    Options
    with me I think of these cravings as I would any other addiction be it smoking or what ever. The food isn't physically making me feel better. It's just soothing the savage beast in my head.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    There used to be a thread on chocolate cravings, (I stink at thread searches :embarassed: ) but maybe try a 100 calorie chocolate pudding snack or some sugar-free hot chocolate.

I also like the chocolate chip/peanut butter rice cakes. :smile:
  • kjbenton
    Options
    I dont have any advice...but I wanted you to know that I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I am having such a rough time. I have been dieting for 3 days now and all I can think about is FOOD...anything! haha. I'm so hungry!!! I swear I might be going insane.
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    you WILL go through a withdrawal period when you're cutting out certain things - your body will fuss and whine at you for a few days and then you'll get over that hump!....i always get mean and grumpy when i want something from my naughty list (like candy or a cupcake) however, the feeling that i have AFTER eating that garbage is WAY worse....i get so mad at myself and so sad...i'd rather be in control than feel like a weakling who can't even say no to a tiny little candy...grrrrr bad candy!!!!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    You are probably addicted to the refined sugar and the fast food. What worked for me on the fast food was to quit cold turkey. Now I only have it occationally. I don't eat very much sugar now either. When I have a really bad craving I grab a 100 calorie snack pack, the oreo one is very chocolatey also Special K chocolatey crisps are really good to help chocolate cravings.
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    You should try the smart ones frozen dessert treats. I love chocolate and I will eat one of those and that will usually do the trick. There around 150-170 in calories and taste sooo good!!:wink: But it will usaually keep my junk food cravings away. Hope it will help.
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    I know how you feel. As soon as I say the word diet, I can't stop thinking about food. But you'll get past it. Some days are just worst than others.!! Best of luck!!:wink:
  • EmmaK47
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their tips! I really appreciate the support and help! I actually bought a bag of Hershey's Kisses today on the advice of my WW leader. I can have 4 for 100 calories. It might do the trick if I stagger them throughout the day. Thanks again!
  • FoxyLoxy
    FoxyLoxy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this - I thought it was just me! I have been mean! :embarassed: I know from my job what the signs of withdrawal are but it didn't click that I had an addiction myself until I read some of the replies on this thread - it was a real eye opener! Yikes. Now I'm more determined than ever to kick my sugar habit. Thanks for posting - good luck :flowerforyou: