Holy cow ...Holy Basil!

Options
For all of my MFP supplement junkie friends (you know who you are). I have discovered (la la laaaah) this new supplement and I am loving it! My health food store counselor friend recommended it for me because I am surrounded by a lot of physical stressors (loud noises, extreme temperatures, etc) and this herb harmonizes your adrenal gland/cortisol output situation produces a calming affect without any side effects. Anyway, I am bringing it up here, because I have found this true for me personally. AND for whatever reason, it is easier to stick to my eating plan!!! Yippee!

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love the spice Basil....I sprinkle it on just about everything I eat.... :flowerforyou:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea there were supplements.
    I drink Tulsi tea, and have tried to grow it without much luck - Florida humidity. :( I probably don't drink it often enough for any added benefits but it's nice to know there are some.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am confused. Is it just basil? Fresh, dried or holy? Would you please be more specific?
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't really do supplements but I use a lot of herbs when cooking. I grow a bunch in my yard and use them fresh during the warmer months. At the end of the season I dry them and use them all throughout the winter.

Basil is one of the herbs that I use a lot. I also use a lot of parsley. Both are so delish!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Ocimum tenuiflorum
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tulsi

Ocimum tenuiflorum (also tulsi, tulasī, or Holy Basil [in Indian languages -> Kannada: ತುಳಸಿ, Telugu: తులసి, Tamil: துளசி, Hindi: तुलसी , Marathi: तुळस ]) is an aromatic plant in the family Lamiaceae which is native throughout the Old World tropics and widespread as a cultivated plant and an escaped weed.[1] It is an erect, much branched subshrub 30–60 cm tall with hairy stems and simple opposite green leaves that are strongly scented. Leaves have petioles, and are ovate, up to 5 cm long, usually slightly toothed. Flowers are purplish in elongate racemes in close whorls.[2] There are two main morphotypes cultivated in India—green-leaved (Sri or Lakshmi tulsi) and purple-leaved (Krishna tulsi).[3]

Tulsi is cultivated for religious and medicinal purposes, and for its essential oil. It is widely known across South Asia as a medicinal plant and an herbal tea, commonly used in Ayurveda, and has an important role within the Vaishnavite tradition of Hinduism, in which devotees perform worship involving tulsi plants or leaves.

There is also a variety of Ocimum tenuiflorum which is used in Thai cuisine, and is referred to as Thai holy basil, or kraphao (กะเพรา)[4]—not be confused with Thai basil, which is a variety of Ocimum basilicum.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I grow basil in my herb garden and throw a handful in just about everything.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    The supplement form I buy has a blend of three types of processing of the leaf extract. A total of 675mg for two soft gels. Send me a note if you would like the brand name. I have tried one other brand and it was not as potent, but did the trick. You just have to take more.

It is different (as posted) than regular basil. I did see where you can buy the seeds on the internet (florida) and I was going to try it. I grow regular basil in my garden here.

I was just looking up how much to take. The bottle says 2 soft gels are a serving. But is that once a day or more?
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one other side effect I think is related to this is that I cannot stand the taste of diet soda anymore! Weird!
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Nice of you to share...Thank you!! I am going to try this.. :drinker: