Excessive consumption may cause laxative effects!!

Options
As someone who has an incredibly sweet tooth I'm finding it difficult to give up my sweets. I recently rediscovered Sula sugar free fruit drops and was delighted to find sugar free Werthers too. I am aware of the warning on the pack about excessive consumption causing laxative effects but what exactly IS excessive?
During my 10 hour shift at work I probably get through about 1 sweet per hour (only 8 cals each). Would this be classed as excessive? Without giving TMI I so far haven't noticed any laxative effects :laugh:
I think the warning is a bit vague, maybe if they were to put on the box what they thought an acceptable amount would be I wouldn't be so confused! I really want another one today but am scared incase that's the one that draws me into the excessive category! lol

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't actually allowing yourself a small amount of real sugar be more satisfying?
  • Susanxxxx
    Susanxxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I could have four or five without any effects, any more and the warning comes in for me :) Everybody reacts differant to these.
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you don't notice any side effects, then I think it's okay. I steer clear of maltitol because it makes me bloated and gives me stomach cramps. I'd notice side effects after eating just one of those.

Why not stick to real food?
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I think the too much amount would differ. but do take the warning serious lol

years ago when i was adkinsing i discovered their and another (better) brand of sugar free chocolate.

I over did it. not a good thing.

only two days ago , after 10 years, have i gotten the guts to try the dove sugar free, one of the benefits of

choosing it over regular chocolate i dont have to worry about over indulging. I KNOW i wont
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't actually allowing yourself a small amount of real sugar be more satisfying?
    :sad: Wouldn't actually answering her question (if you have any such knowledge to give) be more helpful than criticizing her? She has made her choice as to what food she wants to consume, for reasons that are her own and not for the rest of us to get down on her about. What she wants is advice regarding that food, not regarding the choice in the first place. I agree that she should eat "real" food instead, but I choose not to jump on her about that. I hope she will eventually come to this conclusion on her own, via her own experimentation. Perhaps a better approach would be to nicely state that your OPINION is that "real" food would be better, but then follow up with at least something addressing her actual query.

To answer the question of the OP, I would say you have to eat the candy and discover what your own body's limits are....or maybe call the manufacturer and ask? I really don't know, but I would guess that this is one of those cases where it would have to be in incredible, laboratory-induced amounts to see such effects.
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You're probably fine- they put that on the package for legal purposes.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I agree. And artificial sweeteners can actually increase your sugar cravings, not help them. Giving up all things that turn into glucose in my body (anything grain or sugar related) and no more milk has helped my sugar cravings. It's still an ongoing battle but each month the cravings lessen a bit more. (And so do my PMS cravings)

My taste buds have changed. Now I find berries (low in sugar) very sweet and even my Lindt 85% dark chocolate is sweet to me (4 squares have 5g of sugar). I tried soda last night for the first time in months and months and I felt like I was drinking syrup. Blech!!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    and far less frightening and unpredictable?:laugh:
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't actually answering her question (if you have any such knowledge to give) be more helpful than criticizing her? She has made her choice as to what food she wants to consume, for reasons that are her own and not for the rest of us to get down on her about. What she wants is advice regarding that food, not regarding the choice in the first place.

To answer the question of the OP, I would say you have to eat the candy and discover what your own body's limits are....or maybe call the manufacturer and ask? I really don't know, but I would guess that this is one of those cases where it would have to be in incredible, laboratory-induced amounts to see such effects.

• Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    good gawd I can't quote for nothing today...skip it:laugh:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    :sad: Wouldn't actually answering her question (if you have any such knowledge to give) be more helpful than criticizing her? She has made her choice as to what food she wants to consume, for reasons that are her own and not for the rest of us to get down on her about. What she wants is advice regarding that food, not regarding the choice in the first place. I agree that she should eat "real" food instead, but I choose not to jump on her about that. I hope she will eventually come to this conclusion on her own, via her own experimentation. Perhaps a better approach would be to nicely state that your OPINION is that "real" food would be better, but then follow up with at least something addressing her actual query.

They were offering an alternative to wondering altogether. I don't think anyone "jumped" on her, they merely asked/made a suggestion.

I would suggest eating blueberries/strawberries instead.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    oh ugh. stay away from chemicals.

blessings.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Heh. Poop!
  • Qarol
    Options
    Perhaps a better approach would be to nicely state that your OPINION is that "real" food would be better, but then follow up with at least something addressing her actual query.
    In my opinion, I did that and more. I suggested WHY the real thing is better. It's more satisfying.

I certainly did not criticize her. If the situation were reversed, this type of advice would be most helpful for me. I have no crystal ball to help me determine what kind of advice would be helpful to others. I can only offer advice that *I* would find helpful.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Don't ignore the warning, the potential for 'laxative effect' is real. They just don't give you a 'dose level' because that varies from person to person. Eating one an hour is probably not a big deal, even if you eat 8-10 in a day. Sitting down after dinner and eating 8-10 at the same time may be a different story.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    LOL...years ago, I made the mistake of trying Atkins. I went nuts with some Russell Stover sugar-free candy, and I still remember the cramping and horrible outcome like it was yesterday...not good! Now, i avoid anything that contains "sugar alcohol" (malitol, etc). ughh...

To answer your question though, it doesn't sound like you're bordering excessive with one an hour over 10 hours. I think they mostly mean don't eat the whole box (like I did). :noway: If you start feeling a little gassy, that might be a warning sign...
  • therobinator
    Options
    Perhaps a better approach would be to nicely state that your OPINION is that "real" food would be better, but then follow up with at least something addressing her actual query.
    In my opinion, I did that and more. I suggested WHY the real thing is better. It's more satisfying.

I certainly did not criticize her. If the situation were reversed, this type of advice would be most helpful for me. I have no crystal ball to help me determine what kind of advice would be helpful to others. I can only offer advice that *I* would find helpful.
    But the situation is not reversed. You are not her, nor is she you. Different strokes for different folks. Maybe "real" food isn't more satisfying to her the way it is to you.

It just bugs me when people (not you or anyone else in particular, but all over these boards) ignore OP's questions and go on practically changing the subject. We are here to help one another, and sometimes this isn't the most helpful way to proceed. Right, you don't have a crystal ball -- so take the question that was asked and answer it. If you don't know the answer, you don't have to offer an answer at all, you can just move on. The best way to offer advice that others find helpful is to address their actual question, not different questions that weren't asked.
  • Qarol
    Options
    *shrug* I'm still gonna do what I think is best. I simply disagree.
  • therobinator
    Options
    *shrug* I'm still gonna do what I think is best. I simply disagree.
    And I respect your right to disagree. I was, as you, only stating my opinion all along.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bloody hell I didn't intend on starting an argument! I was merely asking if anyone knew the definition of excessive consumption!

As I explained, I have a sweet tooth and if I were to eat "real" sweets then I would not be able to have as many as I would like to due to the calorie content. I'm not eating them as a replacement for "real" food, just as a daily treat to keep myself going and not going way over my calorie limit!

I work a 10 hour shift each day, I think I'm entitled to treat myself! I was just curious as to know if my up to 10 sweets a day could be classed as excessive or not. Clearly for me it is not having the warned effect so thanks for all the relevant comments and in future I will remind myself to keep my queries to myself!