Future 1st time mommy questions

Options
So i am coming to the end of my first tri-mester and from not being able to keep up my workout routine due to morning sickness, and not staying to the letter on my calories. add this with eating carbs because they keep me from getting sick. I have put on 10lbs. I know this is an unhealthy start. Is there any way to maintain through the 2nd trimester? I am 5'4 184 now and a first time mom.
I am uncomfortable with how the scale seems to be climbing and would like some advice here.

Replies

• tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The hard part is over! Start walking as much as you can and eat what your body tells you to eat. Talk to your doc!
  • M77308
    M77308 Posts: 183
    Options
    I agree, the hard part is over! Count your calories and go for small walks! The walks will not only help keep the weight down, but it'll give you a little boost of energy!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Carbs do help but eat a little every couple hours. i managed to only gain 25lbs my second time (as opposed to the 40 i did with my first!)

also, move move move.. I know it sucks I KNOW!!!! But little things. Take the stairs, park far away from store/work whatever..If you have wii, get the fit fit and just do the step activity on it. it is little but helps!!! Congratualtions girl! Trust me.. you will feel better soon.. then towards the end it gets hard again but its SOOOOOOOOOO worth it! Add me if you would like!
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree, start walking. Any kind of activity will be good for you throughout the pregnancy, and walking has been proven to make delivery easier. Keep up your water intake, and listen to what your body wants.

For nausea - I also had morning sickness. Actually, all day sickness -- for the first 6 months! I found that ginger worked well, and peppermint tea.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think taking up walking is a fantastic idea. It will help you maintain your weight, give you more energy and its just plain good for you!! Good luck!! Have a happy, healthy pregnancy!!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I went for a walk everyday, I was very sick with both my girls, eat healthy when you feel good, and just keep going, push on!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    That is a question for you to talk to your doctor about. I think it is safer to gain less weight when you are overweight to begin with. If you can safely maintain while not losing, you might be ok. The first few months of pregnancy some women acually lose weight due to being sick. Other will gain due to fluid and extra blood. I would try and stay on course and see if you can only gain ten lb for each of the next two trimesters. That would give you a total of 30lbs which is a goal for typical pregant woman.

Best wishes and congrats.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body! It tells you what you need. Caveat: Don't listen when it asks for chocolate. It's lying!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! I ate a lot of bagels, saltines, mini PB cups and full sugar gingerale when I was PG. Like PP said - it will get easier now! The 2 trimester is (usually) great b/c the morning sickness (usually) goes away - so you can eat better. And you can do some walking again.
  • christyc730
    christyc730 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm mom of four. Please don't worry too much about weight gain during pregnancy. As long as you are eating healthily and exercising (and honestly, I never did anything more than light walking while pregnant), the weight doesn't really matter. The goal is a healthy baby.

I firmly believe that our bodies are programmed to gain a certain amount of weight during pregnancy. I ate whatever I wanted with my first two pregnancies and then ate extremely well and stayed active during my last two and gained the same amount all four times.

So going forward, make healthy eating choices. Exercise as you can. Don't get too worked up if the scale keeps going up. A friend turned and faced out when they weighed her during her pregnancies so she didn't even worry about her weight.
  • Tabs_A
    Tabs_A Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm near the end of my first trimester too! I have gained almost 8-10lbs too, I had to eat in order to not be sick, anytime the nausea kicked in I had to snack. I was also on vacation so that didnt help.But since I have been home I have been eating better and getting a little exercise (not as much as I would wish to, but I'm just too darn tired) and my weight has been holding fairly steady for the last few weeks!
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm mom of four. Please don't worry too much about weight gain during pregnancy. As long as you are eating healthily and exercising (and honestly, I never did anything more than light walking while pregnant), the weight doesn't really matter. The goal is a healthy baby.

I firmly believe that our bodies are programmed to gain a certain amount of weight during pregnancy. I ate whatever I wanted with my first two pregnancies and then ate extremely well and stayed active during my last two and gained the same amount all four times.

So going forward, make healthy eating choices. Exercise as you can. Don't get too worked up if the scale keeps going up. A friend turned and faced out when they weighed her during her pregnancies so she didn't even worry about her weight.

This. I have 3. I got extremely ill with all 3...the last 2 I was medicated so i could eat...and I ate very well...healthy choices and still gained a good amount. Focus on healthy options and enjoy a walk a few times a week. I like the idea of facing out when being weighed...i could never do it...but kudos to her.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That was ME in my pregnancy. I gained I think 13 lbs just in the 1st trimester! It was for the same exact reason. The carbs and having something in my stomach constantly helped, barely, with the nauseau. Trust me after the 1st trimester the weight gain slows down because you won't be dealing with that anymore. Of course every pregnancy is different but that was my experience.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I gained 70 with my first ( I went on bed rest at 22 weeks) she was a 9 lb baby and 18 with my second. my son (2nd) was 10 lbs. I just ate several small meals and kept moving as well as I could. The first one I went with the I am eating for two approach. yeah, not so much! LOL good luck!!!
  • abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice. I just bought a treadmill before i found out i was pregnant so I use that and I will be working on walking more. I have been fighting my weight, like everyone else, for as long as i can remember so I dread the throught of gaining.

As of now everything is going great and healthy!
  • craizydaizy
    craizydaizy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right about the walking! With my 3rd pregnancy, I walked at least 30 mins every day. It made such a difference in the delivery room! With my morning sickness, I ate a plain ole dill pickle and it would help. I can't give you much advice about what to eat, since I was on a diabetic diet..but maybe watching the carbs would help.
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also believe that our bodies are programmed to gain a certain amount. I ate really healthy during my pregnancy AND exercised until about 9 months when I couldn't go more than 20 mins without having to pee and my hips/feet hurt all of the time. Unfortunately, I still gained almost 60(!) pounds. Note: I started at slightly above a healthy weight so it wasn't like my body didn't have enough fat reservoirs!. The doctors kept fussing at me every time, and I broke down crying more than once in the dr office. It put way more stress on myself than I should have let them. I was a first time mom and didn't know any better though!

I lost about about 50 pounds of it literally without even trying at all after my baby was born. It just melted off within the first 4-5 weeks after he was born. The last 10 pounds+ have been harder though :P That is my own fault and I am getting back on the wagon of weight loss now that he is older and I have a new job.

In the end, I think that all you can do is make healthy choices like lean proteins and lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains, and cut out the sweets and sodium. Also don't kid yourself, you don't need to "eat for 2", and you want to keep exercising as best you can to make labor and delivery go easier.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    you know what.....I gained 80 pounds with each of my children, and each time I lost it all within 4 months! I was horribly sick, I had an IV in my arm for the entire third trimester of both pregnancies, I was sick from conception to delivery, which prevented me from doing pretty much everything. my husband jokes that I'm allergic to babies =) I say listen to your body (no I"m not suggesting you eat everything in sight and gain 80 pounds) your goal is to have a healthy baby! congrats!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I finally discovered (2nd pregnacy) that drinking a TON of water really helped with so many of my pregnancy side effects. I had to get to 10 or more glasses a day and then finally . . . morning sickness gone, constipation gone, weight gain not as much, skin clearing up. And yes, I was constantly in the bathroom but well worth it.

Best exercise when pregnant is swimming! Join your local YMCA and enjoy feeling warm and light in the pool. Lots of back pain relief and great way to safely burn calories!!!

More stretch mark prevention cream for you. EVERYWHERE. Buy the good stuff or at least get coco butter.

Congratulations!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this! I am also a Mom of four, and while I am not advising you to do what I did, I just want you to know I gained anywhere from 60-70 lbs with each and every child- AND lost every single stinking pound afterwards. Was it fun? no- did I regret putting so much on because I felt so gross after teh baby was born? yup. But, I had fun while I was pregnant and enjoyed the ride- and my main goal was for the babies to be healthy.

Listen to your body. Feed it when it's hungry- stop when it's full- it doesnt' mean you have to eat chocolate milkshakes once a week like I did- eat healthy to maintain a good healthy gain- but above all- listen to your body.