Salads

Options
I want to eat more salad during a week so last night I went out and bought basic salad ingredients. I just ate my first salad. It was horrible! Does anyone have any good salad recipes?

Replies

• SweatinSammie
    Options
    an awful salad? No way!

strawberries
    walnuts
    romaine
    goat cheese
    balsamic vinagrette!

OR

Raisins
    sunflower seeds
    lettuce
    tomato
    vinegar
    oil
    parmesan

Just experiment! add anything and everything - just be careful with the dressings... as they can be loaded with calories and sodium
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I like

butter head lettuce,
    sweet vidalia onion
    corn
    black beans
    tuna
    avocado
    little shredded cheese
    tomatoes or pico de gallo
    and newmans balsamic vinaigrette

I only use a little dressing because I find most people dump on too much and it covered and soggy and you can't taste anything else..........gross, also don't use fat free dressing, low fat tastes way better and the fat helps you absorb the nutrients in the salad
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My lunch salad today is:

Spinach
    Dried Cranberries
    Feta Cheese
    Sunflower Seeds
    Chopped Turkey Breast
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My lunch salad today is:

Spinach
    Dried Cranberries
    Feta Cheese
    Sunflower Seeds
    Chopped Turkey Breast
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 salads a day, pretty much every day since January. My normal go-to salad is as follows.
    Flat Leaf/baby spinach or romaine
    mushrooms
    onion
    mexican hot sauce -- I eat a lot of this...
    fat free ranch dressing

I often add in either fat free cottage cheese, tuna, or some kind of beans (black beans, chickpeas, etc)

I also made a really great salad you may like....
    baby spinach
    peas
    turkey bacon
    hard boiled egg
    green onion
    honey mustard dressing
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Baby Spinach
    Red Onions
    Grape Halves
    Mandarin Orange Sections
    Almonds
    --sometimes I use the Raspberry Walbut Vinegrette from Wishbone, but the salad by itself is pretty sweet and moist, so it doesn't even really need it

Another quick and easy way to do salads is to b the Fresh Express Salad Kits. I'll often just throw one of those together for a meal!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It would help to know what you thought was terrible (what part did you hate). I'm not a big green salad eater. I like them okay, but they are a lot of trouble to make and don't keep well because the greens wilt. I love pasta and bean salads though.

For pasta salad - use whole grain pasta and chop whatever veggies you have on hand into bite size pieces. Add a can of rinsed beans and/or some low fat cheese for protein and you have a complete meal. Top with your favorite vinagrette.

For bean salad - use rinsed beans of your choice (any are good, mix 'em up for variety) Chop onions or scallions, peppers (sweet and hot if you like hot), celery, and seeded tomato and mix. Dressing: mustard (dijon, brown, whole grain, whatever your like), olive oil, black pepper, couple shakes of hot sauce, dried basil, finely chopped garlic, vinegar (again, red wine or apple cider work well). Put all in a jar, shake and pour over the salad.

Either of these will keep in the fridge for days and are so yummy.
  • stoofers
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! These sound way way WAY better than the salad I made today. I'll definitely try them out!
  • stoofers
    Options
    It would help to know what you thought was terrible (what part did you hate). I'm not a big green salad eater. I like them okay, but they are a lot of trouble to make and don't keep well because the greens wilt. I love pasta and bean salads though.

I made a simple salad out of veggies I like. Carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach and romaine lettuce. I drizzled olive oil and 2 different kinds of vinegar on it. And it took me about 40 minutes to eat a plate. I thought it would be ok because it had so many things I like but I found it didn't taste like anything at all. I really struggled to eat the carrots and normally I like carrots.
  • Deadbeat13
    Options
    my favorite salad is a rice salad.
    Steamed Rice,
    Mixed vegies,
    bacon,
    and sweet chilli sauce to mix.

I also just had a asian noodle salad.
    I think it had, capsicum,
    Carrot,
    Thin rice noodles,
    Chicken,
    and it did have a small amount of sauce. idk what.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Mexican Shrimp Cobb Salad
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 6 as main course • Size: little over 2 cups • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 7
    Calories: 288.4 • Fat: 10.6 g • Protein: 28.7 g • Carb: 25.1 g • Fiber: 8.8 g • Sugar: 3 g
    Sodium: 588 mg

For the Shrimp:
    16 oz cooked large shrimp, peeled
    chipotle chili powder to taste
    1 tbsp lime juice
    salt to taste

For the Salad:
    6 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
    15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup grilled corn kernels (I used Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn)
    2 tbsp red onion, divided
    2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
    juice of 1/2 lime
    1 seedless cucumber, diced
    2 cups diced tomatoes
    1 ripe hass avocado, diced
    1 cup reduced fat Sargento Mexican Blend shredded cheese

Directions:

Rinse shrimp and chop into large chunks. Toss shrimp with a little salt, chipotle chili pepper, and fresh lime juice.

Combine drained beans, corn, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste.

In a large glass trifle dish or clear bowl, layer salad ingredients starting with the lettuce, black bean mixture, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, cheese and shrimp on top.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    I love love love this one I do it often..

Shrimp Cobb Salad
    Typical Cobb salads include chicken and hard-cooked eggs; this riff uses shrimp and corn.

YIELD: 4 servings
    TOTAL:20 Minutes
    COURSE: Main Dishes, Salads
    Ingredients

4 slices center-cut bacon
    1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Cooking spray
    1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
    1 (10-ounce) package romaine salad
    2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
    1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)
    1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
    1 ripe peeled avocado, cut into 8 wedges
    Preparation

1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; cut in half crosswise. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Increase heat to medium-high. Sprinkle shrimp with paprika and pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shrimp to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt; toss to coat.

2. While the shrimp cooks, combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, juice, oil, and mustard in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add lettuce; toss to coat.

3. Arrange about 1 1/2 cups lettuce mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with about 6 shrimp, 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup carrot, 1/4 cup corn, 2 avocado wedges, and 2 bacon pieces.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 332
    Fat: 15.2g
    Saturated fat: 2.9g
    Monounsaturated fat: 8g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
    Protein: 30g
    Carbohydrate: 21.8g
    Fiber: 7.5g
    Cholesterol: 181mg
    Iron: 4.3mg
    Sodium: 551mg
    Calcium: 110mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Summer Tomatoes, Roasted Corn, Crab and Avocado Salad
    Servings: 7 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 2 pt • Points+: 3 pt
    Calories: 130.8 • Fat: 6.1 g • Protein: 8.8 g • Carb: 11.7 g • Fiber: 4.0 g • Sugar: 2.6
    Sodium without salt: 263.4 mg

Ingredients:
    12 oz lump crab meat
    1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
    1 hass avocado, diced
    2 hot peppers such as serrano or jalapeños, diced fine (seeds removed for mild)
    1 1/2 cups roasted corn kernels
    1/3 cup chopped red onion
    2 limes, juice of (or more to taste)
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 tbsp chopped cilantro
    salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

In a small bowl combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Let them marinate at least 5 minutes to mellow the flavor of the onion.

In a large bowl combine chopped crab meat, avocado, tomatoes, hot pepper and corn. Combine all the ingredients together, add cilantro and gently toss. Adjust lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Try this one. It's one of my favorites:

salads?hl=Mediterranean+Tuna+Salad%23posts-4521948">http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/336526-salads?hl=Mediterranean+Tuna+Salad#posts-4521948
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Bangin Good Shrimp
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1/4th or recipe • Old Points: 5 pt • Points+: 5 pt
    Calories: 215.7 • Fat: 7.6 g • Protein: 23.8 g • Carb: 11.9 g • Fiber: 1.0 g • Sugar: 6.3 g
    Sodium 443.9 mg

5 tbsp light mayonnaise
    3 tbsp Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
    1 tsp Sriracha (to taste)

Shrimp:
    1 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined (weight after peeled)
    2 tsp cornstarch
    1 tsp canola oil
    3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
    1 cup shredded purple cabbage
    4 tbsp scallions, chopped

In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, Thai sweet chili sauce and Sriracha. Set aside.
    Combine lettuce and cabbage and divide between four plates. Set aside.

Coat shrimp with cornstarch, mixing well with your hands.

Heat a large skillet or wok on high heat, when hot add oil. When oil is hot add the shrimp to hot pan and cook tossing a few times until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and combine with the sauce coating well.

Place shrimp on lettuce and top with scallions.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Coconut Chicken Salad with Warm Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
    Servings: 3 • Serving Size: salad with 2 chicken tenders • Points: 8 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 397.6 • Fat: 11.0 g • Protein: 26.8 g • Carb: 32.5 g • Fiber: 4.4 g • Sugar: 10

6 (about 12 oz) chicken tenderloins
    6 tbsp shredded coconut
    1/4 cup panko crumbs
    2 tbsp crushed cornflake crumbs
    1/3 cup egg substitute or egg whites
    pinch salt
    olive oil spray
    6 cups mixed baby greens
    3/4 cup shredded carrots
    1 large tomato, sliced
    1 small cucumber, sliced

Vinaigrette
    1 tbsp oil
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp white vinegar (balsamic would work too)
    2 tsp dijon mustard

Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients; set aside.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine coconut flakes, panko, cornflake crumbs and salt in a bowl. Put egg whites or egg beaters in another bowl.

Lightly season chicken with salt. Dip the chicken in the egg, then in the coconut crumb mixture. Place chicken on a cookie sheet lined with parchment for easy cleanup. Lightly spray with olive oil spray and bake for 30 minutes turning halfway, or until chicken is cooked through.

Place 2 cups baby greens on each plate. Divide carrots, cucumber, tomato evenly between each plate. When chicken is ready slice on the diagonal and place on top of greens. Heat dressing in the microwave a few seconds and divide equally between each salad; a little over 1 tbsp each.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Skinny Chicken Waldorf Salad
    Servings: 3 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 223.2 • Fat: 9.8 g • Protein: 18.6 g • Carb: 21.4 g • Fiber: 3.2 g

Ingredients:

7 oz (1 breast) poached chicken breast (recipe follows)
    2 cups fat free chicken broth
    1 medium apple, peeled and cut into small cubes (I used Granny Smith)
    1 cup red seedless grapes, cut in half
    1/2 cup celery, chopped
    1/4 cup light Hellman's mayonnaise
    2 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
    salt and pepper
    2 tbsp pecans or walnuts
    6 cups mixed baby greens like spinach and arugula

Directions:

To poach chicken breast: Cover chicken breast in broth in a small pot, add water if it doesn't cover the chicken. Add salt and pepper, a piece of celery and it's leaves (you could add herbs like parsley, garlic, onion, or whatever you want) and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover tight and let it sit for 15-20 minutes or until thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees. Chicken will be cooked through. Let it cool and cut into small cubes.

Combine mayo, yogurt, salt, pepper and mix well. Add chicken, grapes, apples, celery, and let it chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat it. Mix in pecans right before serving. Serve over baby greens.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    love salads...just depends on salad dressings..I love em all..hehe just try a sampling..google the recipes on allrecipes.com..
  • ElaKuz
    Options
    Salads are the ULTIMATE filling lunch food... you can graze on them if you eat lunch at your desk and it just feels like the most decadent filling meal...

Today i had romaine lettuce with cherry tomates, various peppers olives about a 1/4cup feta cheese, greek dressing and a can of water packed tuna!
    And this will have me full and satisified at the very least until late afternoon!
  • kko64
    kko64 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump