Terry Fox - Are you running this weekend?

Hi Everyone!

I'm running my first 5km this weekend as part of our local Terry Fox Run. I was just a little girl when my family lined up by the road to wave as he ran by but he has been a real inspiration to me ever since. Did you know that his goal was only $1 from each Canadian, which at that time was 1 million people? He actually raised $24 million. And since his death the Terry Fox Run has raised nearly $500 million for cancer research?
If you ever feel to tired to workout, or feel like you can't achieve your goal, here are some numbers to inspire you!

Terry Fox trained for 15 months to prepare for his Marathon of Hope. This was not something he did easily.
Terry Fox ran 42 kilometres every day, regardless of weather, for 143 days!
He ran a total of 5373km from Newfoundland to Thunder Bay Ontario.

now, let's get off our butts!

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 778 Member
    Good luck to you! I could watch the Terry Fox movie over & over again. Such an inspiration! :smile:
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Aw man the CBC Terry Fox movie makes me cry like a fricken baby :(

So proud of him & the legacy he left behind! What a true Canadian Hero :) If you're not familiar with Terry Fox please wiki him.. his story is so very inspirational.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    For those that haven't heard of him...Terry Fox did all that with only 1 leg. The other had been amputated due to a very agressive cancer, which he later died from.

He's an amazing inspiration.

I won't be able to run this weekend - cuz I can't run. But I might do the walk, or at the bare minimum make a donation.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    I'm going to jog/ walk it tomorrow :) can't wait it's my first 5k
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    that's awesome!!! good for you!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    I ended up doing the 10 k !! It was so great can't wait for next year