January Gym Take Over!

Options
Okay, I get the new years resolution thing.

I promise to lose weight every January, too! But I would really prefer if I didn't have to fight for machines in the gym every January when I have been there all year! Okay, inconsistently, but still!

I know which machines I like and I just can't take the influx of people all at one time! :explode:

Anyone else notice this?

Hopefully, you all are more patient that I am! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options

I promise to lose weight every January, too! But I would really prefer if I didn't have to fight for machines in the gym every January when I have been there all year! Okay, inconsistently, but still!

I know which machines I like and I just can't take the influx of people all at one time! :explode:

Anyone else notice this?

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Anyone else notice this?

YES I notice it! Unfortunately, I'm probably LESS patient than you are!! :laugh:
    It bothers me to no end. I wouldn't mind if everyone stuck to it, but 90% of them are there for a couple weeks and then give up. So I have to deal with two weeks of the gym being incredibly packed with people who don't even try to learn to use things correctly or wipe the seats off just so they can pretend to make an attempt at their NY resolutions. I want to say, "HEY, I have been coming to the gym for THREE YEARS and have a GREAT routine that uses THIS machine that you're currently abusing, so unless you are INCREDIBLY serious about this, go find another one!" :tongue:
    But deep down I do hope they stick with it for their own good too. :bigsmile:
  • redsrandomthoughts
    Options
    we have a gym in our apt complex that is now over crowded so I just started doing exercise at home via work out vids. I understand COMPLETELY.... doesnt matter if you were inconsistant your *kitten* was there getting on those machines before the mad rush of resolutioners.

I made a point to not make my resolution about weight just change. I have a lot to change this year. Its coming up on the 2 year anniversary of my sons passing. His birthday oh wow it was a mess of emotion so March 16th 2009 I am going to be able to handle it and eat well and exercise and and and. Change... Just like Obama promises except I've already started.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. :explode:

I keep repeating over and over in my head to maintain patience, since they will all fizzle out within 6 weeks.

I mean, in the month of December, I was almost the only person in my gym at work. Now I can't manage to get a machine when I want it.

Patience is a virtue.... (and not a virtue I currently possess!!:wink: )
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hooo . i can totaly relate..

today i went in for a class i go to every week without booking. today i walk in and got turned down because it was full out !!!!!!!!!!!!! the girl said sorry about 10 times.. because she knows im there all the time ... i booked out for the next 4 weeks..lol (didnt even know you could book..lol)

so i went to the elliptical instead,, but this girl runs on the treadmill nearby with her locker keys pins to her clothes that does ding cling ding cling ding cling ding cling :mad: :explode: .... her the entire time she ran it drove me nuts !!!!
    i put up the sound of my ipod but it just couldnt cover it..
    arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

if she does it again . do you think its ok to tell her nicely ??
    i use the same keys, but i pin them in the inside of my gym pant, so they are not loose...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    hooo . i can totaly relate..

today i went in for a class i go to every week without booking. today i walk in and got turned down because it was full out !!!!!!!!!!!!! the girl said sorry about 10 times.. because she knows im there all the time ... i booked out for the next 4 weeks..lol (didnt even know you could book..lol)

so i went to the elliptical instead,, but this girl runs on the treadmill nearby with her locker keys pins to her clothes that does ding cling ding cling ding cling ding cling :mad: :explode: .... her the entire time she ran it drove me nuts !!!!
    i put up the sound of my ipod but it just couldnt cover it..
    arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

if she does it again . do you think its ok to tell her nicely ??
    i use the same keys, but i pin them in the inside of my gym pant, so they are not loose...
    I say go for it May! I totally hear what you're all saying on this topic! I don't have any problem parking much farther away as I normally don't park close as, well.....it's a gym and I figure unless I'm running late for a class it's not biggee to park clear at the end.

I find that gym ettiquete is lacking and that's probably what bothers me most... mud on the machines, standing almost on top of me waiting for me to get off. COME ON PPL!:laugh: Regular gym goers don't roll that way!!:grumble:

If I knew they were going to stick to it, well, that's one thing, but funny you all started discussing this cause it's exactly how I've been feeling about .....sooooooo many folks that don't treat the equipment well and we'll all be left with the the parts when they get tired of coming in everyday.

I'm all for encouraging fitness but as they say the beginning isn't the hard part it's 3-4 months into when you have to then really begin to push yourself as the habit is becoming more solid and the will to quit is much greater.....so if they stick to it they will hopefully learn how to treat others and the equipment. Not stand hovering dripping sweat on us regulars while waiting or even have gall to ask how much longer we'll be. OMG!!:angry::laugh: \

I just laughed and said 'this is a great machine' isn't it! It's one of my favs'.....well, really what other way can you possibly respond to a silly comment like that. I laugh it off and smile and then finish out my workout .......it's maddening but I'm trying to look ahead when the parking lot clears abit.

This probably sounds insensitive to a new person but it takes being around the gym a year+ for folks to really stick to it and for others (stafff and such) to know you're a regular and not a Jan 1 person.

Here's to great workouts for us all:drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:

FC:heart:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Don't worry by February you'll have your machines back because the January athletes will be back at home on their couches! :laugh:
    Amy
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Don't worry by February you'll have your machines back because the January athletes will be back at home on their couches! :laugh:
    Amy
    :bigsmile: :blushing: :drinker: :wink: :laugh: :tongue:

But hey, I say try a 5am workout....plenty of machines to be had then!! Lots of room to run the track, pools are empty as are all the strength training machines!! WOOOOTT :drinker: WOOOT:drinker: Hey whatever it takes to stay away from someone dripping sweat on you while hovering.:laugh:

Definitely no hovering at 5am!! Only the hard core are there at that hour!:blushing: :wink: :bigsmile:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Amy

But hey, I say try a 5am workout....plenty of machines to be had then!! Lots of room to run the track, pools are empty as are all the strength training machines!! WOOOOTT :drinker: WOOOT:drinker: Hey whatever it takes to stay away from someone dripping sweat on you while hovering.:laugh:

Definitely no hovering at 5am!! Only the hard core are there at that hour!:blushing: :wink: :bigsmile:

Heh, no way! I am more of a one hour before closing kind of girl! Almost as empty then! I don't see 5am unless I stayed up really late! :laugh:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Got a better idea- move to Las Vegas - Las Vegas Athletic Club where I go is 24 hours, prob is even at 5am it's pretty crowded in the Women's center, but no sweating hulking guys on the machines lol!
    Amy
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Im actually pretty impressed with the LA Fitness that Im at. There are only 2 locations in my city and the one I go to just opened up last June. Ive been a member with them for a year, but until recently couldnt get a dr. release to get my butt back in there. The pool is always empty, which is awesome! I love to swim!

I have noticed that the busiest time is between 5-9pm so I try to get there around 3ish so Im leaving when it fills up a bit. But even at its fullest.. its no where near being as crowded as your describing. They have so many treadmills, bikes, ect and they have staff that come through every hour and wipe down the machines so that helps with the sanitary issue. I always wipe mine down, but thats because I sweat like a pig and couldnt, in good consience, let someone else on it without doing it.....that is just gross!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Amy

Heh, no way! I am more of a one hour before closing kind of girl! Almost as empty then! I don't see 5am unless I stayed up really late! :laugh:
    ohhhh you're one of 'those type':bigsmile: :huh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just teasing you...oh heck I've been one to go an hour before closing on Sundays for a spur of the moment workout! Nobody is there but me and the couple of staff ppl ..I love the calmness of the Sunday feel when working out!:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Im actually pretty impressed with the LA Fitness that Im at. There are only 2 locations in my city and the one I go to just opened up last June. Ive been a member with them for a year, but until recently couldnt get a dr. release to get my butt back in there. The pool is always empty, which is awesome! I love to swim!

I have noticed that the busiest time is between 5-9pm so I try to get there around 3ish so Im leaving when it fills up a bit. But even at its fullest.. its no where near being as crowded as your describing. They have so many treadmills, bikes, ect and they have staff that come through every hour and wipe down the machines so that helps with the sanitary issue. I always wipe mine down, but thats because I sweat like a pig and couldnt, in good consience, let someone else on it without doing it.....that is just gross!!
    Yea we have lots of machines and 3 pools (therapy pool..oh so nice for the joints and in the Winter!) and 2 others.. upstairs there is lots of machine but it's more of a fitness Center than a typical gym so they also have lots of other things going on there...it's very popular but it's one of the most interesting fitness places in town, such a varied age group.. which I love! Not to many 20 year old types there...it's a no kid zone so things are pretty calm and peaceful, just the Jan new crowd that show be gone by feb I imagine.

I didn't care for LA fitness, Gold's gym, and that type...I much prefer the feel of this one...it's hospital based (began and owned by it) so it has PT stuff in it if you need that, lots of varied types of classes ...so all in all. Very happy gym indeed!:drinker: :bigsmile:

Glad you like the place you workout....that's so important to keeping it up!:flowerforyou:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Glad you like the place you workout....that's so important to keeping it up!:flowerforyou:

Yeah, very much so for me! The only bummer is that since its still a "new" gym, they dont offer many classes that fit the beginner level during the times I need. I love yoga, but they only have 2 classes per week in the early AM and that wont fit when I want to go. The other location, across town, offers them 3 days a week in the evening so Ive gone to a few. Just cant make it there every other day to do it as much as Id like to. The one closer to me i more convient, so Ive been putting in requests for more classes in the evenings....things like water aerobics, yoga would fit my level right now. Im not coordinated enough or fit enough yet for the harder stuff. In the mean time Im just pluggin away at the treadmill, bikes and laps in the pool :)
  • Rae22
    Rae22 Posts: 10
    Options
    Oh my.. I go to Urban Active and it is SO crowded. People are waiting in line for machines. They even are having more classes than usual to compensate. But no worries... They will be gone by March and we can have free rein of the gym again.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    :laugh: That's why I love being a military wife!!! The military gyms don't get the HUGE crowd of people like the other gyms do! We've seen an increase...but there are always machines open! Then again we have 5 gyms within 3 miles :happy:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Oh my.. I go to Urban Active and it is SO crowded. People are waiting in line for machines. They even are having more classes than usual to compensate. But no worries... They will be gone by March and we can have free rein of the gym again.
    :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    We call them the Thirty Day Wonders at my Health Club! Every Jan 2, we get flooded with peopel that really have no clue what they are doing, and refuse to ask. Plus, they seem to have fixated on the idea that if you just sit, or stand in front of the machine, as if you might actually use it, then you will automagically lose weight! Happily, they re usually gone bu the end of the month... :noway: :grumble:
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    image.jpg
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I haven't made it lately. :( I've been going through some personal struggles where I just can't get up on time in the morning to go. I did get a couple trips in at the beginning of the month, and for the early hour I go before work, it was a little more crowded then normal!

Nothing beats the day in December I went though. I walked through a snow storm to get there. There was 1 person in the main area of the gym, I think there was 1 more in the weight area and I was the ONLY ONE in the women's area of the gym! I was determined to go that day and get a run in! I need that determination back! (Though freezing rain is not one I would walk in today. I would more then likely need skates to get there today!)