Dancing for weight loss...

Options
Hello everybody,

I am new here and I am trying to establish a healthy eating/exercise regime because I am going on holiday at Christmas and I want to look significantly better in a bikini.

I thought about doing one hour of dancing per day (in the evenings) and sticking to a total of 1200 calories per day.

I am rather fussy when it comes to exercise and I find that I have to do something that I enjoy in order to motivate myself to exercise daily.

Has anyone had any success by using dancing to lose weight and if so, how often did you do it and what did you lose?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I used dance central (a dancing game for the Kinect) which was quite effective for toning and some calorie burning. it totally depends on what you mean by dancing honestly. the kind of dancing I might do around the house listening to music won't involve as much kicking, arm lifting/waving, back dips, etc. It would have been fine but not effective. If you are not active at all now you will find ANYTHING you do is super great for at least a month and a half.

Why did you pick 1200 calories a day though? Is that based on something in particular?
    I work out about an hour every day (almost every day) generally either walking with some jogging, just walking, dancing, or some circuit training. I eat 1500-1700 calories a day. if I wasn't exercising I could eat 1200 I guess (but I'd hate it) but unless you are very overweight (lots and lots of fat reserves) or very very sedentary you might find it hard to stick to 1200 so I'd say pick one major change and one minor change - you will find it much easier to stick with it.

So by that I mean - if you are not usually physically active, than adding an hour of exercise per day is a BIG change and then you can make your smaller change a reduced calorie diet.

This is just my suggestion which I use for myself -- too many big changes at once are hard to maintain for many people although lots of people on here have been very successful with a plan like yours. .
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    YES!! I lost almost 25 lbs doing Zumba which is a combination of dance and other aerobics. But in the past I've had great success just cranking up the music and dancing around the house. Dancing is great for burning calories and strengthing your core.