Need A GOOD Oven Fried Chicken Recipe

Options
Matiara
Matiara Posts: 377 Member
I've tried several oven fried chicken recipes (Food Network, magazines, back of boxes) and they're not working out. My chicken never comes out with the golden flaky coating on the recipe pictures. I've been cooking since my mid teens and usually get the hang of recipes quite well, but OFC is not clicking with me.

Of the recipes that I tried, Cooking Light's is the one that tastes the best, but I've only managed to make it right once. The other few tries have been disastrous. The main problem is that in the time it takes the chicken to cook through, the coating burns in some places while still being floury in other spots. Is there something I can do to keep that from happening?

Otherwise, I'll take some recipes that are relatively foolproof if you know of them.

If not, I'll just admit defeat and go to KFC for the real thing when the mood strikes.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    normally i just make an egg wash, dip chicken in to it, dredge in seasoned panko and put in oven @400 for about 20 min

make sure your chicken isn't too too thick, so it will cook all the way through without burning

you can marinate the chicken in yogurt or buttermilk before the whole egg wash, breading part
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Try the french's onion recipe. Very good!
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    SAW SOME GOOD ONES ON FOODNEWTWORK.COM THE OTHER DAY...CHEK EM OUT :)
  • jlm962
    Options
    This is a bit different bit I tried it yesterday and thought it was delicious!! http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Guiltless-Chicken-Parmesan.aspx
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    normally i just make an egg wash, dip chicken in to it, dredge in seasoned panko and put in oven @400 for about 20 min

make sure your chicken isn't too too thick, so it will cook all the way through without burning

you can marinate the chicken in yogurt or buttermilk before the whole egg wash, breading part

I was going to recommend EXACTLY the same thing (it's what I had for dinner on Monday!) Really good with paprika, pepper, a bit of garlic salt and some sage/oregano. I give it a quick blast of pure extra virgin olive oil spray so that it browns a bit. Tasty!

Also, I've made the Guiltless Chicken Parm that jlm962 posted above, and it is DELICIOUS!
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    definately marinate in buttermilk first for at least 30 minutes! And I like to crush some corn flakes for the coating. Dip in a little egg wash, roll in corn flakes, line a pan with foil and spray with pam and bake at 350 degrees until done.
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recently gave me Rocco DiSpirito's cook book 'Now Eat This!' and it included a recipe for fried chicken that sounds awesome! Though I haven't tried it out myself yet but here is the exact recipe online from Rachel Ray's website...
    Only 10.9g of fat and 204 calories!!!
    Here is the link: http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/rocco-dispiritos-flash-fried-finger-lickin-chicken/
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Seriously... nobody complimented you on being hott AND cooking??? Everyone is fired!!! lol
  • DSummersCM
    Options
    I make this for my family all the time and they love it, especially the one with the corn flakes. Good luck!

Oven-Fried Chicken

1/4 Cup Margarin or Butter
    1 Egg
    1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 1/2 to 2 pounds of chicken (I use boneless, skinless chicken breast)

Heat margarine or butter in rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, in 425 oven until melted. Mix flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Coat chicken in egg wash then coat chicken with flour mixture. Place in melted butter in pan. Bake uncovered 30 minutes. (The trick with chicken is to not overcook it. I use a meat thermometer and pull it out when it reaches 160 degrees.) Turn chicken over halfway through cooking, bake until thickets pieces are done..

Crunchy Oven-fried Chicken: Substitute 1 cup cornflake crumbs for the 1/2 cup flour. Dip chicken in 1/4 cup margarin or butter, melted, before coating with crumb mixture. You could also use a beaten egg before the crumb mixture.

I also add a few other spices like some crushed red pepper to add some heat.

Enjoy!
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This South Beach recipe is easy and it satifies me when I crave fried chicken:

Oven-Fried Chicken with Almonds
    Makes 6 servings
    From South Beach Cookbook

1 c. dry whole wheat bread crumbs ¼ c. grated Parmesan
    ¼ c. finely chopped almonds 2 T. chopped parsley
    1 minced garlic clove 1 teas. Lite Salt
    ¼ teas. dried thyme Pinch ground black pepper
    ¼ c. virgin olive oil***
    2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½” thickness and cut into 12 pieces
    ***Or use Pam vegetable spray to coat chicken before dredging in bread crumb mixture to reduce fat calories even more

Preheat oven to 400. In medium bowl combine bread crumbs, cheese, almonds, parsley, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Place oil in shallow dish. Dip chicken pieces first in oil, then dredge in crumb mixture. Place chicken in shallow baking pan. Bake for 25 min., or until juices run clear. Do not turn chicken pieces during cooking. 2 pieces of chicken per serving.

Per 2-piece serving - 244 calories, 11.4 g fat, 1.7 g sat. fat, 1 g poly fat, 5.3 mono fat, 0 trans fat, 58 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 194 mg. potassium, 7.7 g carbs, 1.1 g fiber, 1.2 g sugar, 29.2 g protein, 1% Vitamin A, 0.9% Vitamin C, 5.5% Calcium, 3.2% Iron.
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I totally forgot I posted this because I'm a flake.

I do marinate the chicken in buttermilk for an hour or so, but I think it's the coatings that are doing me in. I'm going to try all of the recipes on this thread in order of recommendation. I am determined to conquer this.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I posted an awesome recipe the other day: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/346188-baked-fried-chicken
  • jules563
    jules563 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump