Should I Do Both?

Options
I just did the first round of the Couch to 5K. I normally ride my bike every night. But now that I'm doing the 5K program 3 nights a week, should I still ride the bike?

Replies

• TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I just did the first round of the Couch to 5K. I normally ride my bike every night. But now that I'm doing the 5K program 3 nights a week, should I still ride the bike?
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I do my run/walk on MWF and walking only on TU THR. Sat & Sun are my off days.
    Maybe you could try something like that.
    And congrats on starting the C25K. I did it last summer and I was 48! I was pretty excited when I knew I could run that far!
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    If you have the energy and will power to do both, then why not? Running and cycling use different muscle groups so cross training will help you reach your goals, as long as you don't push too hard. I am also doing a running program 3 times a week, but also ride my bike daily for 20 minutes or so in the morning to help me wake up. I want to do triathlons this summer so I am also adding swimming 2 times a week as well. If I notice that I am tired or my muscles are fatigued more than usual I will take a few days off of biking or swimming (but never running because I REALLY need to imporve).:laugh:
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    I'm gonna go for it. I feel great. Just worried about my knees!
  • RandJsmomMary
    Options
    yeah I think so your knees will be fine as long as you dont over do it, so just remember that you body gives you wornings so you got to listen and make sure that if at any time you need to stop and take a brether you do so because if not your going to set back
  • teresamc
    Options
    cycling is an excellent cross trainer for running as it is long impact!
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    About 2 minutes into the ride my legs were jello! I could tell it wasn't gonna be a marathon ride. So I upped the resistance as far as I could handle and hauled butt for 10 minutes. Super vigorous indeed. Only problem is.... now how will I ever work off the extra energy rush and get to sleep tonight? :bigsmile: