Sweat is frying my hair!! Help!

Options
I wear my hair in a ponytail when I run, and it is long enough that the ends are on the back of my neck and get sweaty. I've noticed that the ends are now getting very dry/brittle, like I've taken a straightener or other heated device to them (which I don't). I can't shower immediately after as I run during lunchtime at work. Is there a leave in conditioner or something anyone can recommend that might help? Who knew sweat will kill your hair!?

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Put it in a messy bun. Or chop it off. Or use Google.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Sweat is salty. So maybe the salt is drying your ends out .

I use olive oil in myhair once a week , then I shampoo it out . it puts the moisture back into my hair. You may want to try a sulfate free shampoo also.

Hope this helps
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    I find this interesting - I don't have this problem, but I usually pull my hair half way through my pony tail holder so it stays off of my neck.
  • 2myfuture
    2myfuture Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use Garnier Fructis leave in conditoning cream and I love it. It does not leave my hair oily like some do. I love it.
  • hbkanumalla
    hbkanumalla Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Would maybe a dry shampoo help do the trick? It's something you would probably be able to do before going back to work. Most of them seem like a spray into your hair and either leave in or brush out. Hope this helps!
  • Omicron
    Omicron Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Argon oil has made a big difference in my dry, chemically processed and curly hair. Maybe it could work for you too. Sally’s Beauty Supply has a few lines of shampoos, conditioners, and styling creams as well as strait up oil. They are more expensive than your basic shampoo but not terribly so.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Quick fix at work so your hair looks dry and good... talcum powder.. sprinkle a little in your hands are then rub it through your hair...

It dries up all the sweat/grease then you can worry about the condition later....(kerastace do some great products...pricey but give great results)
  • tyedyelady
    Options
    and to me it smells like bananas - i love it too
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Agreed...half a bun is good, any conditioner is good just rubbed in a left or even moisturiser..
  • jroszkowiak
    jroszkowiak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i have/had the exact same problem. i finally went to a real hair dresser and she suggested this

http://www.paulmitchell.com/en-us/Products/PaulMitchell/Strength/Pages/SuperStrongLiquidTreatment.aspx

and to my amazment it works very very well for me.
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Aveda has a really good leave-in detangler called, Damage Remedy. It's great for after swimming if you can't wash your hair right away. Pricey, and usually has to be bought in a salon. But works well.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, so any leave in conditioner is worth a try it sounds. I have dark brown hair, so talcum powder worries me a little, would it absorb all the way or would you still see white, kwim?

I've heard of the showerless shampoos, but haven't really looked into them enough.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Tresemme makes an inexpensive dry shampoo that works well.
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Agreed...half a bun is good, any conditioner is good just rubbed in a left or even moisturiser..

I put moisturizer in my hair when I'm lazy, but I have a pixie cut so it doesn't make much difference what I do to it.
  • myheartinsf1
    Options
    It's hard to tell without seeing your hair! I'm a hairstylist and typically use the extreme line by redken... It's packed with protein so u need to be careful.do not over use this line of haircare and check with a stylist who knows yourhair before using.
    I'm not recommending this to you but I will tell u what I use when my hair gets bad. I'm a blonde now but originally a red head so my hair has been thru it.. Lol I use redken anti snap leav in treatment and the extreme strength building conditioner... When my hair gets too bad I will use the shampoo also. I only wash my hair every other day and always use anti snap after. I use the strength builder 2-3 times a week. I try not to get alot on my scalp or roots because I would have to shampoo more often.
    If u are an everyday washer and have hardwater I would consider getting a shower head filter also. If not leaving your hair wet with hard water can cause damage because the chemicals are active until dry.
    Blow drying too much or too hot can cause a tOn of problems. I blow dry mine on low and do sections to prevent over drying the same area.
    I would be careful with too much of the oils they help but sometimes cause you to have to wash hair more often and that's a big problem in itself.
    The best thing u can do is go see your stylist and she/ he can help u best.
    I'm sorry if this is hard to read I'm on my iPhone. Lol
    Feel free to add me if u have any questions. Good luck;)