Calories in Homemade Chili

Options
How can i figure out the cals in a serving of homemade chili; I plan on making it tomorrow and was not sure how to figure out what a serving is and how to count it once I get a serving.

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Go to Food, Recipes, Add new recipe. You can put in all your ingredients, including how many servings and it will calculate for you.
  • kimberly774
    Options
    cool thanks
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    I added all the ingredients calories together to get total calories. Then I measured how much it made (mine was 10 cups). Then I divided the total calories by 10 cups. So I knew it was around 260 per cup of chili. I love homemade chili!
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Log all the ingredients into the recipe tool (under "Food" tab), and select the amount of servings the recipe makes. The tool will calculate the per serving information based on all the ingredients.
  • Libbster2014
    Libbster2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had to do the same thing with a casserole that I made. I added up all the calories in each ingredient (that can actually be quite scary), then I divided that by how many servings I could get. My casserole ended up with 9 servings with 318 calories and 8 grams of fat per serving. For your Chili, I would put all ingredients in a large measuring bowl or a container that you know how many "cups" it will hold and then divide that up into servings. For example, if you have 2250 calories total in a 8 cup bowl, with 1 cup servings, I would divide 2250 by 8 and total per serving would be 281.25. There is probably an easier way, but I didn't find it when I was preparing my casserole. Good Luck.
  • Libbster2014
    Libbster2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cool, I didn't know you could do that. Haven't "played" with that feature yet.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Yep, use the recipe builder. Also, get a digital kitchen scale. Meaure the whole batch in grams, and look at the total calories in your recipe. Then divide to get calories per gram. (i.e. 2500 grams of chili, total of 3000 calories would be 1.2 calories per gram). Now you when you eat, just put your empty serving bowl on the scale, tare it, and add your chili. You know each gram you put in is worth 1.2 calories. So, if you want 500 calories of chili, just have 416 grams of chili!!! (500/1.2) Simple math, and you eat what you need, not just a guess.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Go to Food, Recipes, Add new recipe. You can put in all your ingredients, including how many servings and it will calculate for you.

I use this function often...its great when it works!
  • kimberly774
    Options
    wow thanks everyone now i know how to do it i always wondered :laugh:
  • nwgreen90
    Options
    I'm not very smart I guess. Where do you find this food thing your talking about? It's it an app
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm not very smart I guess. Where do you find this food thing your talking about? It's it an app

Click on FOOD menu.....underneath there is a Recipe tab