It Doesn't Take Much...

suemar74
suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
I was doing some math. I think this is right...

In the course of five years, I gained about 40 pounds. In those five years, I was pretty sedentary...desk job, no exercise, yadda, yadda...so I burned about 1600-1650 on an average sedentary day.

So 40 pounds x 3,500 calories (a pound) = me eating an extra 140,000 calories over what I burned.

Divide the 140,000 by five years = 28,000 extra calories a year. Divide that by 365 days in a year, and you get about 77 extra calories a day.

I only ate 77 calories more than I burned on an average day, and I got to a point where I rode the line that divides me from being overweight and being obese.

That's not a lot of food on a daily basis, but it ends up being a lot of extra weight.

I need to keep that in mind. I need to stay diligent, and stay on track, because now I know...it doesn't take much.

Replies

• Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Wow that for sure puts it into perspective for me since in a year I've gained 40 , thanks for the eye opening motivation
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    That is seriously interesting maths!
    It's amazing that 77 calories can make so much difference.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    That's a great way to look at it - I never thought of it that way, but it makes you realize that you really do have to be in balance pretty much every day to maintain, and if you do indulge, then you need to compensate by cutting back the next day, or exercising enough to make up the deficit.
  • econn
    econn Posts: 157
    wow that's scary!
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 421 Member
    Never thought to break it down that way. Thanks, it is an eye opener!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    That's a great way to keep it all in perspective!

Conversely, I've seen articles talking about doing things to cut just a few extra calories out of your diet and the fact that doing just those little things, adding up to 50 calories or so per day, can really help to lose 10 pounds or so per year. It's just amazing that something so seemingly insignificant as 50 calories can have such a big impact on us.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    That's a great way to keep it all in perspective!

Conversely, I've seen articles talking about doing things to cut just a few extra calories out of your diet and the fact that doing just those little things, adding up to 50 calories or so per day, can really help to lose 10 pounds or so per year. It's just amazing that something so seemingly insignificant as 50 calories can have such a big impact on us.

That's an excellent flip side to it...and a much more positive aspect, too! lol
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    yes ty - I never could quite grasp those articles about cutting 50 calories here & there. I guess I thought you start each day with a clean slate or something.. now I begin to understand which is why I will be tracking from now on
  • I like your way of thinking. Definitely a great motivator to continue eating in moderation! =)
  • That was really interesting. It really is about making those small healthy changes that make all the difference.
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Yes, thank you for posting this! It really makes me think twice about staying diligent in both food choices AND exercise. What you described is exactly what happened to me.
This discussion has been closed.