Survey

Options

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    if this site has truly honestly made your eating disorder worse, which would be affecting your health, you should delete your account and quit using it immediately. .
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    Yes, and it also made me develop an eating disorder and think only in terms of numbers.

Same here! This site has made my ED soooooooooooooooo much worse.

That's not the sites fault, it's your fault and you each need to seek some serious help.

There is TONS of information on here about healthy eating and healthy weight loss. If all you're taking away from this site is how to count calories and eat less than a lab rat then sorry but you have problems YOU need to go deal with and not just pretend they don't exist or that it'll be ok.
    Its not my fault that i ate healthy and exercised daily and didn't lose weight or weigh what their "you'll weigh this much in 5wks" said? I think not.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    This site forces people to obsess over calories. It's honestly not good.
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    How? eat less exercise more. Don't really need a website to tell ya that.

I'm not quite sure why you're so negative here... This is a site to help inspire us to be the very best we can be. To answer the main question, yes this has helped me lose weight because it keeps me in check as I see how other people struggle and triumph through their weightloss. Please don't respond to posts if you're going to be uninspiring. Thanks.
    MFP helped me lose weight at first. BUT now its all about *kitten* thursday and tits tuesday.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it also made me develop an eating disorder and think only in terms of numbers.

Same here! This site has made my ED soooooooooooooooo much worse.

That's not the sites fault, it's your fault and you each need to seek some serious help.

There is TONS of information on here about healthy eating and healthy weight loss. If all you're taking away from this site is how to count calories and eat less than a lab rat then sorry but you have problems YOU need to go deal with and not just pretend they don't exist or that it'll be ok.
    Its not my fault that i ate healthy and exercised daily and didn't lose weight or weigh what their "you'll weigh this much in 5wks" said? I think not.

no it's your fault for taking an estimate as the gospel truth. that number at the bottom is just an estimated guess. there's no gurantee it's actually true, good god.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    am I misunderstanding this thread? was this a "does this site help you?" thread or was this a "I'm not losing weight, I blame this site, so everyone else should hate it too" thread?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It's nobody's "fault" if they have an eating disorder. It's also not MFP's "fault" for enabling. But let's not blame the people with the illnesses, all right?
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it has, it has helped me lose a LOT of weight. Both the people on it and the calorie-counting options.

This site doesn't 'force' you to do anything. Take some responsibility for your own actions.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If this site negatively affects anyone, they should leave immediately! It is a tool meant for people to lose weight (or gain weight, and if that is your goal, that's awesome too!), and is not designed to help people with eating disorders further their disorders. I can see some people with EDs using the site to help them gain weight. But i would stay off the forums if I was them.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    that's exactly what I would think.....that she'd be happy. But, there's just so much anger spewing out. Oh well, I guess some people just aren't happy. I'm sorry, and I hope you can figure out how to help yourself soon.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Saying MFP makes forces you to obsess over calories is like saying a knife forced you to stab someone or a match forced you to burn down a house. They're all tools. Only you can decide how you use them.

I came into MFP obsessed with counting calories because I had to. If I weren't logging here, I'd be logging with pen and paper. MFP just made it easier, which in turn helped me relax more about it. I could have lost the weight without MFP, but I have no doubt I've done it more quickly and easily with the aid of this site.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yes
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love this site, it's helped me lose weight steadily. Before I never knew what was going in my body, if eating another piece of bread would make me gain weight, if I should just fast that day to make up for bingeing.

I'm also lifting weights now so it helps me track my macros, something I consider more important than calories, and get enough protein. With protein heavy meals I'm never hungry or craving junk food. Love this site :-)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it has, it has helped me lose a LOT of weight. Both the people on it and the calorie-counting options.

This site doesn't 'force' you to do anything. Take some responsibility for your own actions.
    Good points!

What is MFP???? :huh: It's each of us that make up MFP and I for one don't have the power to cause ED's or weight gain or weight loss for others. I'm only responsible for myself and making healthier choices, I only have the power to make changes for my own body and mind.

Some crazy responses on here blaming others for ED symptoms and lack of weight loss. How can other ppl or a site on the Internet have that much power?? They don't!:noway: :smokin:

Saying MFP makes forces you to obsess over calories is like saying a knife forced you to stab someone or a match forced you to burn down a house. They're all tools. Only you can decide how you use them.
    :laugh: :tongue: OMG what a response... cracked me up and really it is so true. So many things get blamed because some simply don't want to take responsibility for their own behavior or are unsure how too. If a site or person is that detrimental to one's healthy I say might be time to check out and check back in with your doctor. :flowerforyou: Lots and lots of help out there for ED's folks and plenty of supportive ppl here that are in recovery that are more than willing to help. I think when someone is still in the blame stage they might not yet be ready for that help. Which is sad, but we find the answer when the time is right.:heart:
    MFP helped me lose weight at first. BUT now its all about *kitten* thursday and tits tuesday.
    I read somewhere, can't recall where that those were canceled, some thread Mike locked earlier mentioned that?

Most definitely!! Before I knew NOTHING about nutrition or how much I should exercise...this site has taught me so much and made it fun for me!!
    8.gif
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Most definitely!! Before I knew NOTHING about nutrition or how much I should exercise...this site has taught me so much and made it fun for me!!
  • ZumbaQueenKelly
    Options

If that's you're attitude about it, then why are you on MFP? I'm not being mean or starting any trouble, I'm just curious.
  • AliDarling
    Options
    thought we wern't supposed to do explaintions. :p knowing how many cals are in what i eat help me. its not just eat less, exercise more. lot of us dont work like that. this has helped me figure out what foods i thought were ok in cals arent. doubt i;d be 20 lbs lighter if i hadnt joined.

as for the ED's, ive had one. i was a teenager when it developed. if the sites giving you a helping guide line of what you can eat (estimate) whats wrong with that? i've never really been able to eat most of mine, but i've never eaten much. the eating less bit was all crap foods even tho i was on my feet most of the time.
  • AliDarling
    Options

If that's you're attitude about it, then why are you on MFP? I'm not being mean or starting any trouble, I'm just curious.

^ this
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hell, yeah! And forgive me if I do a bit of explaining.

First up, it's just a tool. A website can't lose the weight for you, but it can give you the information you need to use your common sense.

I love the database and the graphs (but I'm a geeky nerd...)

I can read, and when it tells me "if every day was like today you'd weigh so much in 5 weeks", I KNOW that's an estimate, not a prediction.

I'm still accountable for what happens to my body, not some pixels on a screen.

I don't go into the chit chat section much, so I don't really notice the *kitten* Thursday type stuff. It's very easy to ignore.

But in the sections on diet and exercise and recipes - the support and advice and suggestions from other users are terrific, really useful and helpful (mostly :wink: ).