After a big workout...

Options
After a big workout do you still eat back those calories? I just burnt about 650 calories at the gym. I've been told by many people that you should eat back your workout calories. I usually only stay at the gym to burn between 250-400 calories, and normally in the morning so I have no trouble fitting those back in. But its 6:45pm and I have about 1100 calories left to eat (although I haven't had dinner) and it just seems like an awful lot to have this late in the day.

Replies

• cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Almond butter. <3

Nutrient-dense, healthy foods are a good way to get those in, if you want to eat them all back. I always do. Some will say "listen to your body," but I, like many others, am on this site because my body and my mind don't really communicate that well. : /

Added: It depends on your macros, too. Try to eat in a way that will be proportionate to the macros you have left. This is what's usually hard for me, though. (So...in other words, my food diary is NOT a good example, haha.)
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I RARELY eat them back. I'd end up WAY to full and it would end up being too expensive because I burn around 1200 cals a day. 3k in one day is a lot of food. I'd end up eating my whole pantry every day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you usually burn 400 in a workout then the assumption would be that you were already planning to eat up to that amount. Meaning you really only have an extra 200 or so calories to eat in addition to your norm. That shouldn't be too difficult. :)
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I usually eat half back, but I pace it throughout the day. Protein shake right after workout, peanut butter sandwich, stuff like that throughout the day. There is no way I could just cram 1000 extra calories at the end of the day,
  • dreanance
    Options
    I just have to say it... the people who eat nut butter by the spoon at the end of the night "just to eat exercise calories" blow my mind.

Personally, I try not to have too huge of a deficit, but not eating back 100-300 calories shouldn't be a big deal. I find on some long workout days I am more hungry, so I eat more right after my workout. If I'm not extra hungry I don't eat. The only time I force myself is if I run for over an hour. I ALWAYS have some protein/carbs right after.
  • stephaniej05
    Options
    Listen to your body.. If you're hungry, eat! In order to loose one pound a week you need a deficit of 3500 calories (500 a day). Whether that comes from exercise or diet it doesn't really matter! Keep in mind that MFP already gives you a calorie deficit based on your goals! Plus, people always tend to over estimate the calories they are burning and under estimating the calories they eat.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't. I feel its counter productive. You are supposed to burn more than you consume.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Based upon both my Dr.'s advice, I only eat an extra 100-200 max calories with a big workout. AND I try to make it protein.