Opinions on WW

Options
i have used weight watchers before with success but this was years ago. Any insight on the new WW programs? I think it helps with the live interaction and actually seeing ppl and their success. Same reason u i love MFP but maybe more personal since its live. Anyway, anyone had success?

Replies

• khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had more success on WW with the older Points programs. When they switched it up to Points Plus, fresh fruit was suddenly "free" and I wound up over eating. I like MFP better as far as keeping me within my boundaries, because otherwise I have no self control.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the new system they use. I was on WW 5 yrs ago, and lost 60 pounds. My problem was maintaining it. I was REALLY bad at that.. I personally prefer MFP over WW, oh and MFP is FREE! :)
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and have been at goal for approximately 11 years now. When the new program came out, I slowly started gaining weight back, not enough to lose my lifetime status, but enough to be very concerned. I have gone back to the previous program Momentum which works well for me. The new points plus program works for many people but not for everyone. Check out the Weight Watcher's website and the community boards there and you will find plenty of insight there on the new program.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers is awesome and the new program is very good. it encourages you to eat your fruits and veggies by calling most 0 points plus value..and encourages lean proteins and good carbs and healthy oils. it is a well rounded program that stresses portion control and has been successful for many for years! I actually do better with weight loss with WW program than MFP..but MFP is hands down better motivation for working out. This is something that even though is a part of WW, is not stressd enough. Do both! That's what I say!
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It may have had to do with geography but I found Weight Watchers to culturally be gender biased. As a man I often felt resentment, disdain, and/or mistrust when I attended meetings and without support it wasn't worth the membership fee.
  • meremo
    meremo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did exactly the same thing. Lost on the old program and couldn't on the new program due to overeating all the free fruits - high calories!! I logged on both sites for 2 weeks and found I was eating 500-600 more calories if I did myy 29 ponts and free foods. :embarassed: ACK! If I stopped at 1200 calories on mfp, I was only at 19 points on www. I dropped www and dedicated to mfp... 7.5 lbs lost in 7 weeks. YAY! oh, i cancelled my www membership....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It may have had to do with geography but I found Weight Watchers to culturally be gender biased. As a man I often felt resentment, disdain, and/or mistrust when I attended meetings and without support it wasn't worth the membership fee.

the online community certainly is. Lots of 'come on girls' threads. All the promotional imagery is very feminised too.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Where I attend meetings we have a few men in the group, and they are treated with the same respect any paying member deserves to receive. I'm sorry you were not treated as well as you should have been. But I see by your impressive weight loss status you are doing very well with out that miserable group of females.
  • mrshickey
    Options
    I found with weightwatchers it was all points points points. so i could basically eat anything as long as it was within my allowance, then i cud stuff myself on as much free fruit as i liked. it may have just been my meeting but we were never encouraged to give consideration as to how the food affects weight loss, ie sodium, sugar or carb content. needless to say i didnt lose much on the new points system. HOWEVER, a few yrs ago i lost over 3 stones with weightwatchers on the old points system, which is proof to me that it can work.

I think- if you are making relativley sensible food choices now, then weightwatchers could work because you wont overdose on fruit or use ure calories badly like i found i did.

OR if you like having targets or goals for your fat/sodium/carbs ect, then MPF may be better for you because there is more accountability for what u put in your mouth.

good luck with your weightloss journey xx

o yh, MFP is free!! always a bonus lol
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Good and bad for me - I lost weight and enjoyed just having to carry around my little calculator and I could do it all no problem. Bad side was, I still got constant cravings which I think is because the 'easiest' way to do it is by using their products - sure they are low in sat fat and cals but looking at the ingredients list they are not natural, or good for you. That said, if it works for you great, it's not going to make you ill and some people have had amazing success :-)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a year, and lost over 100lb. It was a good system. I like the new points system rather less. I didn't buy any of the weightwatchers products though. (I think I might have bought a box of their biscuits once....)

I think as with any weightloss programme, you do have to use your common sense. I guess I taught myself good nutrition. Realistically, my basic eating pattern has always been good - I've always made my own food, I prefer wholefoods, I'm a vegetarian... It's all the other rubbish I ate alongside my basic meals that caused me the problems!

Weightwatchers helped me to make better food choices. I would point things *before* I ate them, and realised that many high point items weren't worth it.

Realistically, calorie counting serves exactly the same purpose. The plus side to calorie counting to me is that it's rather more transparent. No calculations needed to turn things into points.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Never done ww, but considered it - then free fruit and veges put me off, cause how does that work when 1/8 of my calorie count doesn't even count? (Yes I need no encouragement to eat lots of fruit and veges)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member who regained all the weight I had lost. Mainly because it wasn't a lifestyle change, just another diet. I also noticed that they encouraged a lot more processed foods rather than overall healthy eating. I also learned how to "play the game" to cheat.

I tried the Mediterranean Diet and lost some weight, and really fell in love with eating whole foods instead of processed ones.

I switched to Sparkpeople last August, lost 12 lbs in 7 months because I didn't realize that the range of calories allotted assumed that at the high end you had exercised and burned 300-400 calories each day.

I joined here in March and have lost another 17 lbs. I love this site! I'm not in a rush to lose my weight because I want to be able to eat this way for the rest of my life and stay healthy with exercise. I have also found that I can't really tolerate processed foods anymore.