can't exercise

Options
hi guys! I've been sick since Wednesday and haven't been able to exercise at all because the doctors believe I might have mono. I'm waiting for the test results to come back, but until then I can't work out at all in fear of actually having mono and rupturing my spline... yikes. I've gone from doing cardio exercises 6 times a week to not being able to get out of bed :(

I'm still closely watching my diet... I can eat 1,200 calories a day. I'm only 6 pounds away from my goal weight and I don't want to risk being pushed back from that. is it possible to still lose weight with being in bed basically all day, but eating the right amount of calories? thanks!

Replies

• afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    *BUMP*

It's an interesting question. Waiting on responses... I do hope you feel better soon!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Honestly? While you have mono, I probably wouldn't even worry too much about it. Mono can kill your appetite. You might find yourself struggling to eat enough. Eat more when you can. Your body is working overtime to heal.

If you're insistent on monitoring your intake, I would probably increase your cals closer to maintenance until you're well. You'll probably still lose weight anyway just from the illness, and even if you don't, your body needs the extra energy and nutrition to get well. If you're unsure about this advice, ask your doctor about it, and if he tells you otherwise, then listen to him. But I urge you not to restrict your diet too much while you're ill, unless you have your doctor's ok.
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not or you might just stay the same weight. Don't worry about it.
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    Just focus on getting better right now, i think its a good idea to continue to eat right so that at least u wont gain any weight and be sure to drink plenty of water as this helps our body with the healing process.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I think a risk of rupturing your spleen takes more importance than a risk of getting farther than 6lbs from goal.

You are very close, and any weight you gain (it will be minimal, if any) during this down time will easily come off once you are recovered.

Take care of yourself!
  • ConnieSG
    Options
    I believe that you can still lose weight and not exercise. A co-worker of mine has lost about 50 pds watching what she eats. She is on weight watchers and does not exercise at all. I too cannot exercise due to sickness and I was doing cardio 3 times a week and having a personal trainer 2 times a week. I have not been to the gym in over 2 weeks, but I am still losing the weight. I am on 1200 calories a day. I am hoping to be able to go back to the gym within the next month or two because I feel so out of wack not going. I am hoping you don't have mono.
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    Yeah, I would focus on getting better and not so much about the scale. Mono can be very dangerous if you're not careful and, if you HAPPEN to gain weight, you can always work it off when you're healthy. On the other side, you probably won't gain much, if any, due to it making you lose your appetite. Eat as much as you healthfully can because you want to get better!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    hi guys! I've been sick since Wednesday and haven't been able to exercise at all because the doctors believe I might have mono. I'm waiting for the test results to come back, but until then I can't work out at all in fear of actually having mono and rupturing my spline... yikes. I've gone from doing cardio exercises 6 times a week to not being able to get out of bed :(

I'm still closely watching my diet... I can eat 1,200 calories a day. I'm only 6 pounds away from my goal weight and I don't want to risk being pushed back from that. is it possible to still lose weight with being in bed basically all day, but eating the right amount of calories? thanks!

Even if you put up a couple of pounds is not the end of the world, get well first and soon you'll be out there again losing those last few lbs! There's nothing more important then your health so give your body enough time to recover fully.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I had mono a couple years ago. I was blessed with a very mild case. As so happens, It was a week before swimming championships for my team. I took the week off, and not only did I swim in the meet, I swam some of my best times. I also dropped a few lbs in this time frame. While I don't encourage you to push yourself, I wouldn't stress too much either. You're probably going to be spending you time sleeping or wishing you were asleep. Food is probably going to be the last thing on your mind.