Exercise calories???

Options
I just looked over my goal page. I see that it lists my lifestyle as burning 2000 calories a day, but I am supposed to only eat 1200. This is a deficit of 800 calories, which should allow me to lose 2 pounds a week. That's great, but I exercised for 30 minutes today and burned off an extra 421. Should I eat those calories? I don't really want to because I'm not really hungry. I'm thinking about having a protein bar for about 180 calories so I could get some extra protein to build muscle. Any other thoughts?

113736.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just looked over my goal page. I see that it lists my lifestyle as burning 2000 calories a day, but I am supposed to only eat 1200. This is a deficit of 800 calories, which should allow me to lose 2 pounds a week. That's great, but I exercised for 30 minutes today and burned off an extra 421. Should I eat those calories? I don't really want to because I'm not really hungry. I'm thinking about having a protein bar for about 180 calories so I could get some extra protein to build muscle. Any other thoughts?

113736.png
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Yes! As had been said before, in many other posts, eat your exercise calories, all of them! You already have a 800 calorie deficit, if you don't eat your exercise calories that makes your deficit even bigger, and you could actually stop losing and plateau...
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Should I eat those calories?

Yes.

:flowerforyou:
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    Even though it's after 8:00? I just sat down to log calories 15 minutes ago when I got home. Yummmm... these SouthBeachLiving Chocolate Protein Bars are YUMMY! One delicious tiny bite at a time~ 10g of protein each too!

Maybe it's those uneaten exercise calories that made me stop losing weight at a lousy 5 pounds total in three weeks? See below: I have a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG way to go!

113736.png
  • Wch1day
    Options
    I joined the gym at work in November. I am proud to say that I have lost 10 lbs. We are having a contest based on the biggest loser. It starts next week. My problem? Any exercise outside of the fitness room doesn't count. :mad:
    I ride horses. How do you figure the calorie "burn" on that activity? It's not your leisurely tride ride, it's aerobic and I end up sweating and breathing hard. Does anyone else ride Saddleseat?
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Even though it's after 8:00? I just sat down to log calories 15 minutes ago when I got home. Yummmm... these SouthBeachLiving Chocolate Protein Bars are YUMMY! One delicious tiny bite at a time~ 10g of protein each too!

Maybe it's those uneaten exercise calories that made me stop losing weight at a lousy 5 pounds total in three weeks? See below: I have a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG way to go!

113736.png

Do you mean you lost five pounds and then got stuck? That sounds a lot like starvation mode. You need to give your metabolism something to work with. Try changing your goals to one pound a week. I have about the same amount to lose and I have a goal of 1630 a day. I am sure there are other factors in there, too. It does seem low though.

Or do you mean you have lost a total of five pounds in three weeks and started 3 weeks ago? If so... you are right on track! Don't slip below 1200 though and you will need to eat your exercise calories to keep you above.

That being said, anything is okay once in a while... but if you are under 1200 every day, that will catch up with you quickly.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym at work in November. I am proud to say that I have lost 10 lbs. We are having a contest based on the biggest loser. It starts next week. My problem? Any exercise outside of the fitness room doesn't count. :mad:
    I ride horses. How do you figure the calorie "burn" on that activity? It's not your leisurely tride ride, it's aerobic and I end up sweating and breathing hard. Does anyone else ride Saddleseat?

I would google horse back riding calories burned and look it up that way. Of course if you do this each day, and you have your fitness level set at high, MFP may have already considered it.

My friend said she was in the best shape of her life when she rode. Abs of steel baby!
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    I sort of have the same kind of question.... feel kind of silly:blushing: ...there are some days when I'm home and don't do much of anything because of my back problems, but when I go to work I'm doing paperwork, sorting, and feeding papers into a scanner, my arms are constantly moving in mid air in front of me, etc. Some calorie burning websites allow you to figure the calories burned doing similar activities per your weight. Should I add these extra calories on those days, because I'm always still hungry those days and end up going over the calories MFP has figured for me to lose weight (and feeling really guilty too!!!:grumble: ) I don't really exercise right now but some days I'm at work for 7-8 hrs. I never really go over my base calories (what I use wihout the deficite to maintain my weight at a sedentary lifestyle) but I think that might be why I'm struggling to lose... my weight issues arose from not eating (the article on 700 calories a day and not losing really hit home, doc said that was why I gained all this weight in the last 8 years)
  • Pom_love_2
    Options

This lists horseback riding calories and figures it according to your weight.
    http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm

This one lists types of horseback riding...type in "horse" on the right side of the page in the pink box area and a list will appear. :smile:
    http://www.drgily.com/activity-calories-burned.php

P.S. You doing Dressage? (your picture)
  • Hopefullyurs
    Options
    wow I didnt know that. In response to the comment about plateau-ing... just joined....
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    Thank you. Man, I'm stuffed! I had just convinced myself today that I can be happy on only 1200 calories. The cool thing is that I can, but when I need to go out and eat, I will just be sure to exercise. The trouble with that is on the days I go out to eat, there is no time to exercise. Does the exercise have to be in the same day? or maybe within 24 hours?

113736.png