Day 1

Options
It's day one, and I'm already struggling. Just took the kids to church and with the house empty, want to eat everything in sight. I did toss all the holiday leftovers, so there is not a lot to snack on. Hopefully, just by writing this I'll find some inner strength.

Replies

• beedee3
    Options
    It's day one, and I'm already struggling. Just took the kids to church and with the house empty, want to eat everything in sight. I did toss all the holiday leftovers, so there is not a lot to snack on. Hopefully, just by writing this I'll find some inner strength.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    Have a glass of water and give yourself half an hour before having anything to eat...it sometimes helps. I find doing some exercise, going for a walk, also distracts me.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    dont turn the tv on - turn on some music and tidy up or find something else to keep you moving. drink a glass of water and wait until later to eat. the time will pass quickly.

OR you could play on MFP for a while and get some ideas and have some fun. :bigsmile:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! It sounds to me like you need something to keep you busy so your not thinking about snacking? When i get one of those moments, i drink a giant glass of water, then clean out a drawer, closet or organize pictures. Anything to keep my mind and hands busy so Im not just struggling against the box of chips in the cupboard calling my name. Milk helps curve munchies for me too. Im not much of a milk drinker... hate the stuff...but if Im desperate for a sweet i'll mix in a just a little choc syrup (just a little bit) and warm it up... which is better than what that box of chips is tempting me into. :)

You can do it!!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Stay and post a lot. That really helps me stay away from the food. Play games online, too. MSN Games is free and has some really neat games and myyearbook.com does, too.
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You can do this... I find that when I start thinking about eating it is because I'm bored or without focus. So everytime I think I want to eat, I fill a glass of water, start drinking it, then find something to do - make a phone call, sort the laundry, do ten sit-ups... whatever. I am in my first week of this, but used these techniques to quit smoking two years ago and am now using the same approach to lose weight.

Hope this helps. It's just all about retraining our brains to satisfy ourselves in different ways.

Good luck! Be strong!:wink:
  • levjen
    levjen Posts: 10
    Options
    Just joined yesterday and have never posted online before. I've enjoyed the food and exercise journal so far, they keep me thinking about what I'm eating, which has been very helpful. Awareness is the first step!
  • DreaL
    DreaL Posts: 9
    Options
    I find that chewing a piece of gum curbs the cravings for a while. Water helps. Read a book?
    Sometimes, the cleaning just makes me more hungry so if I'm really bad, I'll read or write a letter or draw ... whatever your craft of choice is.