need ideas

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
I need some good snacking ideas. I also need good dinner side idea. We eat a lot of pre packaged sides. I want to somthing we can all it.

oh ya any good ideas for asparagus??

Replies

• mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I need some good snacking ideas. I also need good dinner side idea. We eat a lot of pre packaged sides. I want to somthing we can all it.

oh ya any good ideas for asparagus??

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    re: asparagus- I like to steam it, then marinate it in fat free italian dressing or any other type of fat free dressing you like. it's good warm, or chilled.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    asparagus- just drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste and broil for a few minutes or grill if you have one.

Snacks- make your own Chex mix- lower in sodium and no MSG that way. My favorite snack is chopped apple(w/peel), with yogurt, walnuts and a little rolled oats or granola on top. All natural fruit roll ups with added Fiber are good, too. Carrot sticks with peanut butter, or celery with PB or low fat-pimento cheese.
  • little_wolfie
    Options
    OH MY GOSH.

Ok I tried asparagus for the first time last week and I am in lurve. What I did was take 12 spears, pour about half a tsp of olive oil over them and coat them in that, and then a tooooooon of pepper and a little salt. I roasted them at 350* for 15 minutes and I swear they tasted just like french fries!!!! Mmmm, so good.

I also just discovered Jello's Sugar Free snack packs that are only 60 cals for a pudding cup, which is great for when I need something sweet. Popcorn is good (I got an air popper for Christmas) and I also like nuts, but they are high calorie, but I like them because then it feels like I'm actually snacking on something... like, one nut at a time, I'm eating them mmm okay I'm not making sense anymore but good luck!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    dinner ideas- lots of grilled meat (usually fish or chicken but sometime a steak)
    salads on the side.
    I make a lot of crock pot meals with chicken and honey and mustard or meats with a splash of wine and garlic.
    not your mothers slow cooker recipe book is FANTASTIC
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I made my own chex mix.

As my friends pointed out all the stuff I have in it still has a lot of sugar but it really helps with my sweet craving.
    its a mixture: honey nut cherrios, yogurt covered raisins, dark chocolate m&ms, and chocolate teddy grahams - the bulk being the cherrios so I don't feel so guilty

I think next time I'll eliminate the chocolate teddy grahams and do half the m&ms

Then I'll try to incorporate multi-grain cherrios or regular ones ....

I take baby steps.

My newest fave snack though is the Quaker Simple Harvest apple/cranberry bars ... WOW!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle Cajun seasoning on my asparagus and char it.

For a snack - try hot and spicy pork rinds- they are 0 carbs and 80 cals a serving- some are so hot you can only eat one serving (cayene pepper helps curbs the appetite).
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    the 60 calorie jello banana fudge sundae is sooooooo good. I put a little of the 15 calorie reddi whip on top for a total of only 75 calories and it's very satisfying.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    For snacks... I make my own smoothies with fresh fruit, fat free milk and ice. I'm also a big fan of the 100 calorie pack snacks.... i munch on carrots... try cutting up apple slices... a scoop of margarine with some cinnamon.... pop it in the oven for about 15min... yummy.