calories burned accurrate?

Options
What weight are these exercises based on for calories burned? Doesn't your weight also play a factor along with type of activity?

Replies

• merceah
    Options
    great question, did not consider this
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think they're a little high on average. That's why I only tend to eat about half of my exercise calories back.
  • Elaineheikura
    Elaineheikura Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is off about 2 give or take

Elaine
  • kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I always assumed that as MFP knows your weight, it worked your calorie burn out using that too. I know as I was losing (and now gaining) the calorie burn for the same activity changes. As to how accurate it is, I can't say as I've never used a HRM.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM and MFP is usually calculated higher than my HRM says
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Typically, MFP is about a 1/3 high. If MFP says 600, it was probably closer to 400.

Can't say enough for a HRM.

I asked my friends to enter 60 minutes Walking 3.5 and post what it came back at. It varied from 224 for my friend who weighs 130 to 381 for my friend who weighs around 220. It goes strictly by the weight you have entered at that time.

It's only a rough guess. Everybody has a different metabolism, etc.
  • myheartinsf1
    Options
    I think mfp is on the high side! I use a hrm and have compared my excersise.
    If I have to use mfp I usually lower the number they give me or only eat back some of my excersise calories.
    Sorry if this is jumbled together I'm on my iPhone lol..
  • Manlee52
    Manlee52 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually bank all the calories mfp states I burn. Was curious due to other sites that calculate calories burned. They seemed awfully high compared to mfp.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing weight when I got my HRM. After I up'd my daily base calories I started losing again. I can only guess, but I think my body needed those extra calories I was being 'given' by MFP.

It's not a 'cookie cutter' formula. If using MFP's calorie burn is working for you, stick with it. If not, then experiment.
  • repertoire
    repertoire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I find MFP to be really high. I'll do the elliptical at my gym holding the heart monitor bars...with my weight and age entered...and get 350 or so calories for 1/2 hour. Here...it lists it for like 600 or more calories. I always go by what the machine says as I'd rather be too low than too high...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I find MFP about 1/3rd higher than my HRM says, apart from for rowing, where I burn about double the estimate on here!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How odd because I thought it was lower. I wear a garmin watch when I run that has my weight programmed into it and It shows I burn more calories that MFP.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    to answer the initial question, MFP factors in your weight (or at least the weight you enter into the system) when giving you an estimate of the calories burned. However, understand that it can only be an estimate because MFP has no way of knowing your exertion level throughout the work-out.

if you want to know how many calories you are really burning, get a HRM...and get one with a chest strap if you want it to be accurate. My experience is that some estimates on MFP are quite a bit higher than what my actual burn on the HRM shows...while others are pretty close. Probably depends on how hard I am working in a given workout. I think MFP estimates are based on high exertion levels for most of the workout period.