Breastfeeding calories

I am usually under my calorie count now that I am calculating breastfeeding in my diary (anywhere from 500-100) even when I choose high calorie options or overindulge. Should I eat the calories even if I am not hungry? Or could my minimum be lower than mfp's base amount since I am so short, 5'1"?

Replies

• swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    how many is it giving you? I'm 5'1 too, but it goes more off of your weight and I guess depending on that. So, when I was breastfeeding and was 160 it gave me arnd 1900. Also what activity level did you enter?? And ways to up the cals in a healthy way is with PB, and whole grain breads, and don't go low fat on things - fat is actually good in the right amounts IMO. Hope that helps!
  • I'm 120 right now and it wants my to be eating 1700 calories. I feel like I eat a lot, I'm not hungry and don't restrict myself at all. I am conflicted between listening to my body and what amount I am "supposed" to be eating
  • Butterfly3081
    Butterfly3081 Posts: 67 Member
    According to the lactation consultant I spoke with we burn 500 calories in the beginning months just making milk...I would assume as your baby gets older and consumes less milk that you would in turn burn less calories making milk as you aren't making the same amount as before. I calculated mine as being 200 calories over a 60 minute period (4 feedings of 15 minutes each with the feedings burning 50 calories each time)....it seems to be working well for me that way. I've lost 6 lbs now. I also do other exercise as well.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    For breastfeeding, yes, you need to eat all your calories in order to maintain supply.
  • Butterfly3081
    Butterfly3081 Posts: 67 Member
    For breastfeeding, yes, you need to eat all your calories in order to maintain supply.

I don't eat back all of my calories and my milk supply is still great!
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    I wouldn't stress over it too much though, you're not overweight at all. So just eat healthy and exercise :)