Nike Training Club Group

Options
Keen to hear from other people who use this app and perhaps share our NTC related goals and achievements.
I've just started using it. Completed 3 workouts so far
from the Get Focused section
Shoulder Ripper
Back Definer

and from Get Lean Intermediate Level
Wipeout

I just now completed this last one and man! What a work out.

What have you done?

Not sure what this is but have an iphone? Look up Nike Training Club - its an awesome free app with a variety of training programs which can be completed with little or no equipment. Work outs range from 15 to 45 minutes. Check it out!

My goals for next week?
Two 15 minute workouts and one 30 minute from the intermediate section

What are yours?

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I still can't really even figure out how to work the app
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I still can't really even figure out how to work the app

It's quite simple but it does involve a little bit of familiarizing yourself with the exercises first.
    Open the app, select 'get workout' select from one of the options, in the next menu select a workout
    You'll then see a whole list of exercises. Look down the list. If you're not sure of any tap on the exercise - you can flick through the still images and written instructions and or select the video camera icon in the top right corner to watch a video of the exercise.
    Once you're fairly confident you know all the exercises select 'do workout' and they will take you through it. nb. you can also select 'get music' beforehand and play music from your ipod while working out
  • NewChristine1483
    NewChristine1483 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS APP. I swear by it. I just really wish I knew how to log the exercises from there, here.. any hints?
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I downloaded this app ages ago but haven't used it yet. I would love to hear about others' experience using it, though!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    love it love it LOVE it.

yeah, you have to do a little work to get familiar with the drills, but what it takes is just doing them - the trainer adds some really good safety and effectiveness points, so pay attention - then going back and checking what you did later, once you mop yourself up off the floor.

There are a fair amount of recovery periods, and I do a 15-second heart rate count and jot it down at each recovery. Multiply them times 4, then average the results to get my average heart rate over the course of the workout. Then I go to this site:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

calculate my VO2max that day (and it changes, weird, but true), and run the rest of the calculator based on that number.

really, it's not nearly as complicated as it sounds, and it's a good way to know if you're pushing yourself as hard as you want to, or too hard entirely.

i'll be doing heatwave in about an hour. (beginner/get lean)

also very important to modify anything and everything if you think it could hurt you. the point is to be able to exercise and feel good every day, so there's no point pushing yourself to do things your body's completely incapable of. The ability will come. I promise.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I just started using the program last weekend. Love it so far.
    Did the get lean intermediate program - The Shedder. 1st time through it took me 38 minutes as I had to use the help videos often. By using my HRM, I saw that I burned nearly 350 calories in that time, so not bad at all. Intense, but great workout. Hoping to try another 30 min today and may be add in an arm toning 15 minute also.
  • electriq
    Options
    love it love it LOVE it.

yeah, you have to do a little work to get familiar with the drills, but what it takes is just doing them - the trainer adds some really good safety and effectiveness points, so pay attention - then going back and checking what you did later, once you mop yourself up off the floor.

There are a fair amount of recovery periods, and I do a 15-second heart rate count and jot it down at each recovery. Multiply them times 4, then average the results to get my average heart rate over the course of the workout. Then I go to this site:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

calculate my VO2max that day (and it changes, weird, but true), and run the rest of the calculator based on that number.

really, it's not nearly as complicated as it sounds, and it's a good way to know if you're pushing yourself as hard as you want to, or too hard entirely.

i'll be doing heatwave in about an hour. (beginner/get lean)

also very important to modify anything and everything if you think it could hurt you. the point is to be able to exercise and feel good every day, so there's no point pushing yourself to do things your body's completely incapable of. The ability will come. I promise.

Great post!
    Thanks for all the info, once I get a heart rate monitor I will check out that site myself. For the time being I tend to log as calisthenics or aerobics just depending on what workout I was doing.

So far this week I tried out Get Focused's Ab workout (I can't remember the exact name right now), I'll be doing that again today.

Glad to hear others who are so excited about this ab and the awesome workouts it offers
  • ekusumo
    ekusumo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    New here. Found this site after Googling "Nike training app". I've been using it for the 3rd time now and each them it has made sweat and sore the next day. I love how I can do it anywhere, even in my tiny apartment.

I've given this site a search for the question of how much calories burned to put down after each exercise. So far, I've put in under Aerobics, but I don't know how accurate that is. All in all, I hope to see some results soon!
  • electriq
    Options
    Hi Ekusumo,

Welcome!
    It's a great app with great workouts huh. I too really like being able to do the workouts anywhere (I often do them in my very small office at work). Which workouts have you been doing?

I have to say NTC has missed out for me this last week, I have been a little busy with cycling and swimming, I'm hoping to do another workout soon though and will post again then
  • peacefrog08109
    peacefrog08109 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been doing various workouts from the NTC and loved every one of them. I was using "calisthentics" for my calorie counts and was seriously underestimating my workouts. I bought myself a heart rate monitor/calorie counter and found I was burning almost double. The last one I did was "dynamo" in the intermediate get lean section and burned 833 (!) calories.
  • electriq
    Options
    I have been doing various workouts from the NTC and loved every one of them. I was using "calisthentics" for my calorie counts and was seriously underestimating my workouts. I bought myself a heart rate monitor/calorie counter and found I was burning almost double. The last one I did was "dynamo" in the intermediate get lean section and burned 833 (!) calories.

Interesting to hear that. I too have been recording my workouts from NTC as calisthenics. I don't have a heart-rate monitor (yet), but once I do then I will be curious to see if the same goes for me. I suspect it might. Those workouts are real killers, so much so that I have not been brave enough to try a 45 min workout yet. Go you for doing dynamo!
  • ekusumo
    ekusumo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same goes for me. I put mine under Aerobics and it only came up to 227, which my body definitely doesn't agree with today! *groan*

I've done Crunch+Burn, Fighter Fit and Sweat+Shape under Get Lean. The last 45 minutes one really killed me. But I do love how it makes me sweat!

Does a heart rate monitor accurately accurately tell the amount of calories that we burn?

Interesting to hear that. I too have been recording my workouts from NTC as calisthenics. I don't have a heart-rate monitor (yet), but once I do then I will be curious to see if the same goes for me. I suspect it might. Those workouts are real killers, so much so that I have not been brave enough to try a 45 min workout yet. Go you for doing dynamo!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love the NTC app! I haven't used it in a while, but I'll be getting back into it soon! :D It works you SO HARD!
  • iJiVE
    iJiVE Posts: 20
    Options
    I just started using this app & am sticking with it! I'm making it a point to get a heart rate monitor. Just really wish this app would give you some sort of format to estimate the calories burned.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I love NTC and use it 2-3x/week at my gym. I tend to do the 30 minute ones (get strong and get toned; intermediate). My favorite is drill sergeant because it cycles through each exercise quickly (30 seconds), which helps keep me motivated. It's hard, but it feels good and I get to pretend I'm all tough.
  • vtonus
    Options
    I have Nike Training Club and I love it, but I haven't been able to really use it consistently. Does anyone have a kind of program or schedule that they go through, like a MWF kind of thing or do you just go for ones that look like you could do them with what you have?

Thank goodness NTC is free, but sometimes I find myself considering Insanity or P90x just because they have a set schedule to follow, and someone to tell you what to do.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I used this for the first time today and LOVE it!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    ZOMG it's amazing. Today's my 2nd day on MFP and NTC and I was DONE by the 17 minute mark -_- on get get lean beginner
  • trout3063
    trout3063 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So a LOT of these posts are pretty old....so I'm hoping some of you can come back and let me know how your results are, and if you've been sticking with this program. I"ve had it over a year and earned a couple of the badges/rewards...I think my next one is 420? I hadn't used it for a few months and there must have been an update in that time as I LOVE the new history format showing me that I hadn't worked out using it since last september!

So what reward have you earned through it....and how are your fitness goals coming along? I'd quit using the program only cause I was concentrating more on my running. Then basketball season hit (I'm a ref) so I was really only logging the time I was "jogging" on the court. But NOW I'm ready to get back in the swing of things and I want to put this back into the mix.

So tonight after work I will do a 30 minute work out. Last night I did the focused AB workout in addition to my 30 minutes on my elliptical, and tomorrow I"ll do an outside run to keep that also in the mix. I have a cruise at the end of march that I'm trying to pull all this together for!
  • McKristy
    Options
    I love love love this app! I use it approximately 4 times a week. Then I hit the gym on weekends and take a spin class on Wednesdays.

The most recent badge I unlocked is 780 minutes- Icon BUT I'm super pissed because when I was first at the 420 mark I deleted the app from my phone and had to start all over! So technically I should be around 1200.

My favorite workout is probably Hope Solo's 15 minute. I pair that with another 15 minute to get a great workout. I try and stick with the advanced workouts, and if I have the time, 45 minutes, but minimum 30.