Green tea ~~ What's your type??

Options
So, I think I'm drinking too much coffee after dinner and want to replace it with green tea (I've searched the topic and see there are many health benefits!). So it's on my grocery list for today. But there are so many choices!!

How do you like your green tea????

Hot or Cold?

Which brand do you recommend?

Decaf or regular?

Do you have a way to give green tea a twist?

Any sharing and education would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Lurrrrvvvvve green tea, my usual brand is Twinings, or for some fancy loose stuff i use 'coffee bean and tea leaf' Genmaicha green, which has little bits of roasted rice and popcorn in it. Sounds bizarre, tastes fab, slightly nutty flavour.

Always hot, and i've never found decaff where i live, but regular GT has less than normal tea and way less than coffee.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Japanese green tea. Currently drinking Kirkland (Costco) - it's excellent quality. Have used Republic of Tea in the past. No decaf : (
    Hot and Cold. I drink lots of iced tea - have done so since I was toddler. I now brew my iced tea with a mix of black and green. Brew it with Splenda.
    Hot - straight green. Sweeten with a bit of honely. Im interested in trying Agave nectar to sweeten.
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I like my green tea iced! Most of the time I like it plain but sometimes I like it with some sort of low calorie sweetener or I will have a flavored green tea with no sweetener!
  • akunce
    Options
    I drink Good Earth Super Green Tea! It has 70% more antioxidents than regular green tea! It has matcha, sencha and orange in it! Its great hot or cold! I use truvia if I want it sweeter or lemon for a different tast! I drink it every day! It also says that it helps with weight loss! :smile:
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I like it hot and cold-just depends....

I like jasmine green tea lemongrass green, my brands are bigelow, celestial seasonings and trader joes.

:smile:
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Japanese green tea. Currently drinking Kirkland (Costco) - it's excellent quality. Have used Republic of Tea in the past. No decaf : (
    Hot and Cold. I drink lots of iced tea - have done so since I was toddler. I now brew my iced tea with a mix of black and green. Brew it with Splenda.
    Hot - straight green. Sweeten with a bit of honely. Im interested in trying Agave nectar to sweeten.

Thanks. My husband uses agave and loves it!!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Coffee has roughly as an estimate 95-200mg caffeine. Tea has about 5-15mg. They say to keep it no more then 500-600mg per day.

That can definitely vary, whats good for the goose, may not be for the gander so to speak.

I normally love The Republic of Tea varieties and drink it hot/warm. But I'd drink it any temp. Nothing extra added. I did just order some tea yesterday from Gypsytea.com. They had some amazing sounding flavors and not only was the tea cheap, so was the shipping! Hopefully its good but I'm not too worried that its not.:wink:

If you live near a store called Teavana, they have some awesome teas. I haven't ever looked them up online but they have great loose leaf tea.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I love green tea. I almost always drink it hot, and my favorite two are Tazo's Zen (green tea, lemongrass, and mint) and plain green tea (sencha usually) with a splash of lemon.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm a total non-purist I know, but I dearly love Lipton's Diet Green Tea with Citrus in the bottle (at room temp). Does that count as green tea? :smile:
  • lorna1541
    Options
    I've been drinking green tea for years and have tried many different types. My favourite by far is dragon pearl. It's hand rolled, normally with jasmine flowers. It's quite pricey but well worth it. It's amazing for your digestion, and is delicious hot or cold.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    How do you like your green tea???? {Strong} but I love Black Tea which has more antioxidants, and tastes better to me :)

Hot or Cold? {Green Tea/Black Tea}=cold

Which brand do you recommend?{Tea Nation}

Decaf or regular?{Regular}

Do you have a way to give green tea a twist? {Drink green tea w/ nothing, black tea w/ silk very vanilla soy milk, love it}
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    "How do you like your green tea????"

I like it hot most of the time and cold when it's really hot weather wise. I am trying to stay off caffeine altogether so I stick with the Naturally Decaffeinated Lipton Green Tea which is available in just about every supermarket. I usually add a little lemon to it and sometimes a packet of splenda,
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd also mention a tip that a tea-house owner gave me. You can decaffeinate any tea by brewing it for 30 seconds, tossing that initial brew and then brewing as normal with fresh water. Most of the caffeine comes out in the first 30 seconds. This is great if you have a favorite tea that doesn't come in decaf. But, I'm not sure what the impact is on antioxidants.
  • akashastrega
    Options
    I love the green tea with brown rice (as served in asian food places)...it is not expensive and can be found at most oriental grocery stores. I always drink this one hot.
    I also love Tulsi and Green tea. The Tulsi helps to keep my moods mellow and the green tea is full of goodness. I get mine at Whole Foods. I like this one hot rather than cold (even though it tastes good cold) because of the whole mental break of sipping a hot tea.
    There is also a green tea chai I get. It is yummy, spicy chai but made with green instead of black tea. I forget who makes it but it is sold in most grocery stores and comes in a green and black box. It costs maybe $3. I get mine at Whole Foods (mainly because I get most of my stuff at Whole Foods--or Trader Joes). I like this one hot with a bit of honey and a splash of cream.

White tea has been shown recently to be even better than green, but it has a very mild flavor. Trader Joes has a delicious White Tea with Pom and also a Ginger Pear white tea, both are very yummy hot or cold, and inexpensive.

Zhena's Gypsy tea blends, while a bit pricey are delicious, as are Tazo's (which are less expensive)
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like hot decaf mint green tea with 1/2 packet of Stevia...yum :)
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like my green tea hot with a little bit of lemon juice :drinker: A nice iced green tea every now and then is good too.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Loose leaf, get it cheap at international grocery store. Sometimes I will blend it with white tea (Citrus blend, got it at The Vitamin Shoppe yum) . I drink it hot and its caffeinated. I add no sweeteners or cream/milk , but sometimes I will add apple cider vinegar. Teavana has some good tea but its pricey.
  • ajcobos
    Options
    I love Kirkland green tea in the evenings. Usually I put in 2 tbspns of Toffee nut syrup from starbucks. It tastes great...costs 75 calories...and is a relaxing way to finish the evening.
  • Naughtybiscuit
    Naughtybiscuit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love Twinings blueberry and raspberry green tea. It tastes lovely cold too.
  • tegangreenway
    Options
    I have just started drinking Heath & Heather Green Tea with Lemongrass. I like it hot and sometimes I sweeten it with honey but not always - depends on my mood.