Do you exercise with sore muscles?

Options
I started a circuit class on Thurs. Following the class guidelines, I am suppose to be at the gym today doing my weights. My thigh muscles are still sore from the lunges on Thurs but the rest of my body feels ok. I was able to do the elliptical yesterday at lunch for 40 minutes and felt no pain, but sore and little stiff last night and today. Yes, I am drinking lots and lots of water to help the muscles :):)

Even though my thighs are sore, would it be ok to go and do my circuit today? Any help I would appreciate. I am new to weight training. Thanks!!

Replies

• meka2206
    meka2206 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    YES IT IS GREAT TO DO ANYTHING AFTER BEING SORE EVEN IF IT'S AS SIMPLE AS LIFTING WEIGHTS. ITS GOOD TO CONFUSE THE MUSCLES FROM SOMETHING THAT IT'S NOT USE TO BECAUSE THEN IT'S SIMPLE MUSCLE TRAINING. HOPE THIS HELPS!
  • meka2206
    meka2206 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    OOO BUT MAKE SURE YOU DO ALOT OF STRETCHING IN THE MEAN TIME AFTER ANY WORKOUT TO GET YOUR MUSCLES LEAN
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have always understood that it is okay to list with sore mucsles as long as there is a day of rest between lifting sessions with that muscle group. I always have and it seems to help with the stiff, sore muscles. I wouldn't worry about it unless you can't bout weight on your legs. Then it could be an injury, not the normal process of muscle fiber tear and regeneration. (Which is the desired result). Don't quit on it. Good luck.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes. If i did a bunch of XT (weights/classes) i would run later that day or the next. Seems that the running helps loosen my muscles and eleviates the soreness.

Another way that helps with the soreness is that i use this exercise massage stick and roll it over my legs to help flush the lactic acid out of my muscles. i use it all the time after my workouts
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    YES. It helps your muscles become less sore faster; HOWEVER, if it ever feels worse than just a sore muscle than I would make sure first that it wasn't an injury. Best of luck! :)
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    OOO BUT MAKE SURE YOU DO ALOT OF STRETCHING IN THE MEAN TIME AFTER ANY WORKOUT TO GET YOUR MUSCLES LEAN

This ^ too! Sretching is essential!!!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Yes it is ok to exercise with sore muscles. It's just lactic acid built up. Just make sure you thoroughly warm up. Try going for a 5 to 10 minute walk. That should help you feel better.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    If I'm SUPER sore, I might pick a different workout. My butt is killing me from yesterday's strength, so I might just jog today or some simple cardio.

If I'm a LITTLE sore, I'll still work the same muscle groups again but I might not go as hard or as deep... I think they call it "phoning it in". Half-squats and sissy lunges, kwim? But enough to feel the burn.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yes it is, I did it last week. Last Saturday I did P90X Legs and Back & Ab Ripper X. On Sunday From my stomach to the bottom of my feet was sore. I had to make myself do my Turbo Fire workout that day but I felt much better afterwards. You might try a protein drink afterwards, I've found it helps tremendously with muscle soreness.