over on carbs!

Options
im trying to eat a healthy and sustainable diet that i can stick to long term however im always over on carbs, do i ignore this as im eating well and losing weight regardless or try to cut down?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I try to be good with carbs...I always go over on sugar and carbs though, thanks to fruit! :(
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Fruit and Whole grains can cause one's carb and sugar count to be high. as long as it's not mostly from refined or processed sugars you should be fine, but try and keep the carbs under 300 grams and the sugars under 50 to 75 grams.
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    as long as you are eating healthy and losing weight I wouldn't worry about it...and you may reach a time when this is a non-issue anymore :wink:
  • libby10205
    libby10205 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me.
    And yes it is the fruit.
    I eat very little to no meat so getting the protein up and keeping the calories down is also difficult for me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "Over" is subjective. If your carbs are consistently high, you should probably look at your overall percentages and make adjustments, because if you re over in one macro, you're under in another. If I'm eating a diet that is working (which I am) and my macro percentages don't match my current goal, I just change the percentages so my goals are in line with what I'm actually eating. If what your doing is working, there's no reason to force yourself to change to some arbitrary ratio.

Also, the sugar in fruit is generally sucrose, which is the same exact sugar that makes up "refined" sugar. People need to stop trying to spread the misconception that sugar from fruit is somehow different from the sugar you buy in a bag, because it's the same thing.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    as long as you are eating healthy and losing weight I wouldn't worry about it...and you may reach a time when this is a non-issue anymore :wink:
    ditto
  • egbrooks
    egbrooks Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is fructose which is metabolized differently by the liver than sucrose and other types of sugar. One thing that is important to note is that most cancers love fructose.

For reference: http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/08/02/cancer-fructose-idAFN0210830520100802

The best way to not go "over" on carbs is to eat a low carb diet. Most diets that are considered "low carb" are roughly <100 grams of carbs per day from "any" source.

Best of luck.
  • chchchangess
    Options
    I'd say don't worry about it for now, just get used to the lifestyle change and focus more on healthy eating in general, then when you've got to a point where you're comfortable with your diet and your body feels good about you making the right choices, you can decide whether or not to change your carb intake. if everything is going according to plan and you're losing steadily and know you're healthy you might not need to do anything, but if you know you're doing everything right and the weight loss isn't coming as it should, then try out lowering your carbs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is fructose which is metabolized differently by the liver than sucrose and other types of sugar. One thing that is important to note is that most cancers love fructose.

For reference: http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/08/02/cancer-fructose-idAFN0210830520100802

The best way to not go "over" on carbs is to eat a low carb diet. Most diets that are considered "low carb" are roughly <100 grams of carbs per day from "any" source.

Best of luck.
    Fructose is one of the sugars in fruit. Fruit also has plenty of glucose and sucrose, depending on the fruit. Apples for example, have sucrose for sugar.
  • "Over" is subjective. If your carbs are consistently high, you should probably look at your overall percentages and make adjustments, because if you re over in one macro, you're under in another. If I'm eating a diet that is working (which I am) and my macro percentages don't match my current goal, I just change the percentages so my goals are in line with what I'm actually eating. If what your doing is working, there's no reason to force yourself to change to some arbitrary ratio.

Also, the sugar in fruit is generally sucrose, which is the same exact sugar that makes up "refined" sugar. People need to stop trying to spread the misconception that sugar from fruit is somehow different from the sugar you buy in a bag, because it's the same thing.
    I agree....I was told that sugar is sugar...no matter where it comes from...and your body doesn't know the difference...it will count candy bar sugar..just the same as it would count sugar from an apple. It makes me mad to hear people say "oh, don't worry...if it's fruit sugar, it's ok".........No...it's not ok.