please help

Options
hello there can anyone please help me understand when i have done my food chart and gone over slightly without adding my exercise is that a bad thing to be eating back a few of the calories i have burned off .sorry to ask its just as i am new to this and confused ,joanie

Replies

• Ashleysh22
    Options
    hey! certainly not a bad thing to eat the calories you have burned off. your food diary should be adjusting your total calories for the day based on the amount of calories you burn off.

So say your daily allowance is 1300 a day (as is mine) and you workout 500 calories in your exercise routine - now you get to eat 1800!

My main motivation for exercise is the bonus food ;)
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    thanks for kind reply but if i eat my calories what ive burned off back in food how am i loosing weight.i am so confused lol
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

Seriously! There is a LOT of great info there!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    MFP builds in less calories based on how much you have set your weekly weightloss target to be.

the important thing to remember is the total number of caloreis you have each day is based on
    calories eaten + calories burnt = net calories - the net calories are effectively the calories you have given your body to use for the day - women need a minimum of 1200 per day, so if you ate 1290 calories of food - then sure you have given your body enough for the day - but if you then did a 3mile an hour walk and burnt 500 calories then the net calories = 790 below the minimum needed to sustain your body.
    Our bodys do quickly adapt to what we do to them, so going under on calories will if you keep doing it cause you difficulties with hitting a plateu as your body starts hoarding everything as it feels it isn't getting enough to survive.

hope this helps a little - you will find lots of people say you should eat any calories you burn in exercise back and others that say they never do, and are still loosing - you will need to find what works for you, remembering the minimums you need to maintain.
    On a personal note I eat betwen 75-80% of mine back I try and leave a little over to allow for under-estimating calories and over-estimating exercise calories.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You burn calories by just being alive, breathing moving etc, use the tools to find out how many. So you need that many calories to start with, it's much healthier to ' eat your calories' than to starve your body of the calories you need to exist. The problems start when you eat loads more, or eat too much fat n sugar. Most of the mfp members agree that you lose more weight if you eat your calories, and you stay healthier and the weight will stay off :laugh:
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    thanks so much:happy:
  • dclassi1
    Options
    I work out a little more, if I know there is something high-calorie that I plan on eating.
    My struggle continues to be snacking, but I do my best not to use all the calories that I've earned through exercising. Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • JOANIE69
    Options
    thanks so much for your kind help .joani:flowerforyou:
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    I have a question? Is that true that 1,200 calories is for every woman's daily requirements, no matter their weight or body type? As MFP seemed to adjust mine for how much I weigh & for how much I want to lose! I'm not sure how it goes. Thanks, Eddiegirll

5' 4"
    S.W. 234 - Sept. 5, 2011
    C.W. 227 - Sept. 12, 2011
    G.W. 125

It is important to be content in all things. "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Philippians 4:11
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the minimum reccomended by the world health organisation for women and because of this MFP will not go below it no matter how much you want to loose.
    For men the minimum is 1500

their research has decided that this figure is the minimum needed to sustain life at a basic healthy level.