I'm getting way too much sodium in my diet. Any ideas for s

Options
Hi everyone! This is my first post! YAY ME! I'm trying to get back on the weight loss bandwagon after a month on hiatus. I discovered after restarting the use of this site that I am getting WAY too much sodium in my diet. I'm trying to cut down on the packaged stuff, but that's hard w/ 2 kids. Does anyone have any ideas for salt alternatives? I love salty stuff, and I wonder if there is a "salt free salt" for lack of a better way of putting it. You know, like Splenda is like sugar w/o the sugar? Thanks for the help! :flowerforyou:

60994.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal

Replies

• onmyway2beingme
    Options
    Hi everyone! This is my first post! YAY ME! I'm trying to get back on the weight loss bandwagon after a month on hiatus. I discovered after restarting the use of this site that I am getting WAY too much sodium in my diet. I'm trying to cut down on the packaged stuff, but that's hard w/ 2 kids. Does anyone have any ideas for salt alternatives? I love salty stuff, and I wonder if there is a "salt free salt" for lack of a better way of putting it. You know, like Splenda is like sugar w/o the sugar? Thanks for the help! :flowerforyou:

60994.png
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash SPICEY is good. i personally don't care for the other Mrs. Dash's but the spicey suffices pretty good for me. :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know exactly what you mean!! I dont have high blood pressure or anything, but salt has been my struggle forever:grumble: I LOVE salty things. I can do without sweete or chocolate and all that but, gotta have my salt lol. I go over my sodium allowance EVERY day, but Im just slowly decreasing it in any way I can. I started out by just not adding salt to anything...baby steps you know?:wink:
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
    ~Roni
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options

60994.png

I have a sodium problem also. I just try and eat as natural as I can. If I salt my food when I cook I do not salt it when I eat it. I really try and eat all my veggies and fruits fresh. It is hard and I don't always get it right.

Pat:smile:
  • Janie0001
    Janie0001 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a salt person as well. I do not have high blood pressure which shows salt does not cause it. Or mine would be 1000 over 500. (yes i know that is not possible and i would be dead) I have tried the no salt and it in my opinion is horrible not just bad HORRIBLE. It will work in the sense that you won;t want to use it either so use nothing. If you find something that is a good subsitute let us know. Other seasoning is a good alternative. BUT I LOVE MY SALT :heart: :love:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options

60994.png

Welcome to the posts...

The best way to control salt intake is to stay with fresh, whole foods, and get away from the packaged foods. It is scary to read some of the nutrition panels on packaged foods.

I know this is difficult with kids - I have the same issue with mine - but you don't have to eat what they eat, more important to keep yourself healthy - the kids will naturally come along with you as they get older.

Eat meals with your kids, definitely, but not necessarily the same food. Stick with whole foods for yourself - and don't be surprized if they want to join you as you go along.

If you just can't get away from processed, packaged foods, try shopping in the natural products aisle at the grocery. There are some really good organic and natural products out there that reduce the amount of salt used in processing.

Good luck finding healthy alternatives - I have to admit this is harder than cutting down on sugar..

We are there for you.. jb
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Try adding spices to your food. I dunno how much salt curry and indian spices have, but try also oregano/parsley/dill/thyme/cumin , anything that you like and could give taste to what you eat, while reducing the salt.

It's all a matter of getting used to it, trust me. I mean, getting used to less. My principle is: try reducing now to avoid being forbidden later. As long as it's not completely forbidden, I can afford having more and playing with quantities, while not putting my life in danger.

Hope you'll find a balance :flowerforyou: .