Not eating enough calories.. if I increase will it help???

Options
Okay so I'm not eating enough calories in a day and I know it. My problem is I start off well and then I add exercise in and next thing you know I've under eaten something like 400 calories! Upsetting part is I am full and I do cheat sometimes but I have been recording that too. I exercise and have been trying to lose but the scale alas stays the same. I joined a week ago to try and see what I was doing wrong and well this might just be it. Question is if I increase my food intake will I start to lose weight again?? And if so how long would you think it could take to make a difference?

Replies

• mdebroy
    mdebroy Posts: 30
    Options
    Okay so I'm not eating enough calories in a day and I know it. My problem is I start off well and then I add exercise in and next thing you know I've under eaten something like 400 calories! Upsetting part is I am full and I do cheat sometimes but I have been recording that too. I exercise and have been trying to lose but the scale alas stays the same. I joined a week ago to try and see what I was doing wrong and well this might just be it. Question is if I increase my food intake will I start to lose weight again?? And if so how long would you think it could take to make a difference?
  • hollymires
    Options
    I have a hard time eating all my calories too. I just do what I can though...and I have still been losing...slowly...but still losing.

smiley-eatdrink020.gif
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    You need to eat all your allotted calories + your exercise calories, if you don't, your body will go into starvation mode.

for example, my allotted daily calories are: 1,260, so I need to eat these calories, if I then burn up 400 calories in exercise, I need to eat those extra 400 calories.

It doesn't hurt if now and again you can't manage say, the last 100 cals or go over by 100, as long as you balance things out, you should start to see a weight lose in a week.

Also, drink plenty of water, this also helps weight loss :drinker:

Hope this helps :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • terraw
    terraw Posts: 40
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am working out and burning more calories then I seem to be taking in therefore I am always way under for the day!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I always log everything in the morning, so I can see if I need to add in more/less snacks, so I'm not left with either a lot of calories later in the day, or none at all. :smile:
  • mdebroy
    Options
    Well the good thing is I definitely have enough water! Hopefully it'll work for me. It tells me that I need to eat just over 1500 calories per day and then you add exercise and man... I am trying today to balance my calories more and congrats to me I ate 500 calories before 10am this morning! I feel this is an accomplishment at least. We'll see what the rest of the day holds. It's that extra 400 calories I've been getting from exercise it just completely throws me. And the sad news is I've cut down on how much I was doing. I was goingto the gym every second day for 2 hours of intense training and on my days off I was running on the treadmill and doing core strength etc for an hour. Now I just do that Jillian Michaels video the 30 day Shred (by the way you need to add extra stretching because the first time I could barely move for 3 days) and misc other things like shovel the foot of snow in my driveway!!! :grumble:
  • mdebroy
    Options
    I've been trying to eat the exercise calories and that is why most of the time I'm under.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors that should be considered. First of all, how many calories are you eating and are you being completely honest and accurate about recording those calories? Next, what kind of exercise are you doing and are you being completely honest and accurate about your intensity and duration? Then when are you eating? Eating 5 or 6 small meals a day will stabalize your blood sugar levels and help maximize your metabolism. Also, what are you eating. If your not getting proper nutrition, it can impact your ability to loose weight.

If you're eating so few calories that you're in starvation mode then yes, up the calories. Adding in exercise calories is a double edge sword. Yes, you do need to add calories to fuel your activities and maintain a healthy metabolism. But, if your underestimating your calories and overestimating your exercise, then adding calories will be detrimental.

Eating right is the key, not necessarily eating more or less.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I would def try to bump up your cals slowly..how about adding some ground flax to oatmeal/yogurt
    2 tbsp is what is rec and is about 60cals
    I would also try a handful of nuts.....almonds, cashews etc
    OR sting cheese (get the regular version..80 cals)
    My last suggestion would be to add pb to anything u can....dipping apples in pb is yummy
    You can also add a little to hot oatmeal and maybe also add some honey

GOOD LUCK upping your cals!
    Kim
  • mdebroy
    Options
    Both of you have a good point. Lost 13lbs last year I guess my body needs to amp it up :smile:
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I'm big on additives. For instance, if you eat oatmeal in the morning add 1/4 - 1/2 TBL reduced fat peanut butter (or all nautural pb if you can stand it), or raisins, craisins, nuts, sliced fresh fruit. Make the oatmeal with low/no fat milk instead of water. This all adds nutrients and ups your cals - helping your energy for working out.
    I never have trouble eating all my cals!! I wish that were my dilemma!!!! :laugh: :tongue:

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter