Fruit and Vegetables

Options
Ok I am doing a 10 week nutrition/fitness class offered by my workplace, our instructor is a certified nutritionist from a local hospital It's cool as I have to $100 for it, but if the instuctor feels I have made progress, lost weight, inches, or made a lifestle change then work pays me back the $100!

We get weekly assignments. Part of this week is eat a fruit or vegetable you have not eaten before.

I love fruit and veg, so finding a new one may be difficult for me!

I thought I'd ask y'all out there for some suggestions.

I can also try cooking or serving a fruit or veg a different way.

:smile:

Replies

• RunningRatty
    Options
    Ok I am doing a 10 week nutrition/fitness class offered by my workplace, our instructor is a certified nutritionist from a local hospital It's cool as I have to $100 for it, but if the instuctor feels I have made progress, lost weight, inches, or made a lifestle change then work pays me back the $100!

We get weekly assignments. Part of this week is eat a fruit or vegetable you have not eaten before.

I love fruit and veg, so finding a new one may be difficult for me!

I thought I'd ask y'all out there for some suggestions.

I can also try cooking or serving a fruit or veg a different way.

:smile:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that is tough especially at THIS time of YEAR!
    Wow... Umm Hickama maybe? It is not a pretty thing to look at, but I happen to know that they are in season and you should be able to get some pretty cheap.
    You might also want to try an asian markets. They ALWAYS have something different there. :happy:
    Intersting, Let us know what you come up with!
    --Diann...
  • JoyceDoerr
    Options
    Try Plantain bananas

Slice them thin, broil or bake (I used to fry them) until they start to get a little crispy.
    You can do them salty or sweet - simply by sprinkling them with a little garlic salt or sugar when they are done
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Try baking brocolli with a little olive oil and sprinkled with a touch of salt. My boss was just telling me how good it is....
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    papaya, star fruit, lychees. Persimmons, beets, artichoke, fennel, figs, chickory, turnips, watercress, etc.
  • melelaine
    melelaine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    in some stores you can find broccaflower- not sure how to spell it, but my mom loves it.
  • RunningRatty
    Options
    Thank you - some good ideas. I'll let you know what I try....
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    JICAMAis ugly but sweet in taste, I like to add it to salads.
    BEETS, I love beets no matter how you cook them but if you are new to them i added them to salad for my kids and now they ask for them.
    CAULIFLOWER :flowerforyou: , best is to sautee an onion, roasted peppers and garlic and add steamed cauliflower!
    ROASTED SWEET POTATO wedges (I don't like sweet potatoes except roasted)
    SNAP PEAS...yummy
    ASPARAGUS, it's actually good grilled
    SPINACH, I like it raw as salad
    BROCOLLINI..it is baby broccoli and it looks a bit weirder but it is sweeter in taste
    veggies are actually great and it may take some experimenting to find how you like to prepare them

fruits:
    pineapple, figs, dates,mango, blackberries, star fruit, plantains, grapefruit, kiwi, persimmons, pears, plums, etc. I know these are pretty common but some people steer clear because they don't know what to do with them. You just might like it!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the new V8? 1 full serving of fruit and veg in each glass. Add that into your day along with all the suggestions above.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for broccolini that I also use from Swiss Chard and Dino Kale.

Asparagus is at it's best grilled, as mnbarnum says. Little parmesan doesn't hurt either.

Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes) can be cooked many ways.

A trip to Whole Foods or Central Market (it's a Texas store :wink: ) should get your exploring.

Have you ever had loquats? They're local.