not happy!!!!!!!

Options
I've been doing so well with my cardio work for the past few months. Yesterday, I seriously trashed my ankle during one of my early morning walks. I'm SO bummed--this seems like a large potential setback. Is there such thing as cardio without moving your feet?? Any suggestions or recommendations???????:angry:

Replies

• Caitej
    Options
    Try water exercise?
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a possibility? WHether or be swimming laps, water aerobics, etc. Most of weight loss comes from your diet, so just be certain to modify your diet if you have to workout less, and maybe focus on some calisthenics or weight training to increase your overall strength
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I've heard stationary boxing can help.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Y'all are just great!! Thank you so very much for the sensible advice!!!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Punches really get the heartrate up
  • Rekingball
    Options
    I've noticed that walking and running really puts the strain on my ankles and knees so I took up biking and it seems to have remedied the problem perfectly. Plus, I personally find it more fun and enjoyable. So, if you like to bike or live in a place that makes biking fun/easy then I would go for that in the future once your ankle heals up. Upper body weight lifting is about the only cardio exercise I can think of that doesn't involve your feet besides walking over to get weights and then sitting. Lying on the floor and doing stretches that don't involve your feet also are very good for you. I hope that this helps somehow... Good luck!
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    there are machines at most larger gyms that are like a bicycle for your hands (not sure what its called), its harder to get your heart rate up but it does work.
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've been doing so well with my cardio work for the past few months. Yesterday, I seriously trashed my ankle during one of my early morning walks. I'm SO bummed--this seems like a large potential setback. Is there such thing as cardio without moving your feet?? Any suggestions or recommendations???????:angry:

I am going through the same thing right now. I am training for a marathon and I irritated the posterior tendon in my foot. I have lovely tendonitis that comes and goes. It's so frustrating and hurst SO BAD. The key thing for me to do when this happens is to, ice my foot, take anti inflammatory meds and rest my foot as much as possible.
    If you go to the gym, see if your gym has hand bikes. It's a good workout. I used it alot when I messed up my knee a few years back after crashing on my bike. I was off my knee for almost 5 months...UGH! Talk about irritated! LOL!
    If the hand bike is not an option try shadow boxing. You would be surprised how you can work up a sweat just boxing with your upper body.
    but whatever you do, don't push it. You might make things worse. Good luck to you! I pray both of us heal soon! :wink: :smile:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    there are machines at most larger gyms that are like a bicycle for your hands (not sure what its called), its harder to get your heart rate up but it does work.

It's called a hand bike. There is 2 at my gym. If you increase your resistance, you would be surprised how good of a workout it can be. I had no choice, but to use it a few years back. I messed up my knee pretty bad and it's all I could do. I haven't touched in sense my knee got better though. Doing that thing for 5 months was ENOUGH! LOL!
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did pilates and the arm cycle machine at the gym when I sprained my ankle. Don't let it hold you back, but give yourself time to heal.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks a million for all the suggestions!! This must be why I joined this site a couple weeks ago. Awesome people!