I hate to be the spelling police...

Options

Replies

• goatruns
    Options
    Incidentally, I just read a book from the library and some *kitten* had gone through with a pencil and crossed out grammatical error and highlighted things with 'dangling participle!!!' (yes, three ! all with circles for the . and two underlines) and no it was not a editor's copy. The irony of some *kitten* doing this to a library book did not escape me but I suppose some must be right at any cost. Defacement, people's comfort level, public shaming, etc.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Hey spelling police....loose is not a noun, it is an adjective. if you are going to be obnoxious and correct people, then make sure you are correct. Where did you go to school. A noun is a person, place or thing......an adjective describes a noun....loose shirt. Shirt is a noun and loose is the adjective. get it?????

Edited my post. I was in a hurry and just realized it. I stand corrected :-)
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I feel better. I have never posted anything negative on this site until I saw your incorrect correction. I have seen many posts where people must be speaking English as their second language. Since I could not speak, let alone write another language, I respect the messages that people are trying to get across. I could fill my day correcting spelling and grammar on this site......but why are we all here? I think we are here to support each other in our health lifestyle journeys....nuff said :-)
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I feel better. I have never posted anything negative on this site until I saw your incorrect correction. I have seen many posts where people must be speaking English as their second language. Since I could not speak, let alone write another language, I respect the messages that people are trying to get across. I could fill my day correcting spelling and grammar on this site......but why are we all here? I think we are here to support each other in our health lifestyle journeys....nuff said :-)

BOOOYAH!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    wow, seriously, who gives an F. Its sunday, go outside and do something.

Its already Sunday where you're at? That's so cooool! Its still Saturday in the states. I love that there are people from other countries on here, it feels like traveling into the future! How's Sunday going? Or should I sleep through it?
  • methetree
    Options
    I posted something similar recently...

what I learned is that it is a waste of time to let it get to you.

I appreciated all the feedback received from those that read and responded to my post, learned something about myself, and now have moved on.

You can too.

It's a choice to judge people based on their ability to spell or not. Perhaps there are reasons beyond their control.... perhaps they are using a phone and things just aren't perfect.

It no longer bothers me, I hope you can work it out so it doesn't bother you any more either.
  • xsargex
    Options
    wow, seriously, who gives an F. Its sunday, go outside and do something.

Its already Sunday where you're at? That's so cooool! Its still Saturday in the states. I love that there are people from other countries on here, it feels like traveling into the future! How's Sunday going? Or should I sleep through it?

Prepared to be wow'd. I'm actually traveling into the future right now. I've officially typed this message without a spellcheck cause I don't give a *kitten*, for the 3rd time, because technology blows ace in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. I'm in a flying Delorean, because the movie was actually based on a true story. Its 0445 and this is what we do on the night shift.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just putting my two pennies worth in, what I have found funny on here is people writing the french word 'Voila' as vwalla. :laugh:
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Great, now I have the "A noun is a person, place or thiiiiiing..." song stuck in my head. Which will then lead into 'Conjunction Junction, what's your function?" followed by "I'm just a Bill.."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • livnlite
    Options
    ...but for the last time it's LOSE weight, not LOOSE!!! Loose is an adjective, not a verb. Loose is the word that describes what your clothes should be after you LOSE! Lol!

I let a lot of things slide but I am getting really sick of seeing that! I know not everyone cares about spelling and grammar, but that is bugging me a lot. That is all, carry on. :-)

Oh come on .. REALLY?

Did you EVER consider that maybe .. just maybe ... there are some members who have joined to be a part of a support group .. but maybe, just maybe .. they are not good spellers .. maybe, just maybe .. because they are not well educated, or maybe, just maybe they have a learning disability .. or something to that effect. My guess is they never joined to be made fun of, or have someone like you criticizing their scholastic shortfalls.

I guess I musta missed the prerequisite for a college edumacation when I joined this forum.

Pffttt! If you are so good with grammar .. How about looking up the word EMPATHY. I'm thinking they never covered that subject in police school.

Sheesh!
  • xsargex
    Options
    Did anyone else see Auburn loose to Clemson?
  • thurberj
    Options
    Yes, loved to see Auburn lose to anyone.....Go Dawgs!!
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    Did anyone else see Auburn loose to Clemson?

No but I saw Tennessee lose to Florida.
  • thurberj
    Options
    I saw that one too. Couch potato this afternoon.....did the exercise this morning.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ...but for the last time it's LOSE weight, not LOOSE!!! Loose is an adjective, not a verb. Loose is the word that describes what your clothes should be after you LOSE! Lol!

I let a lot of things slide but I am getting really sick of seeing that! I know not everyone cares about spelling and grammar, but that is bugging me a lot. That is all, carry on. :-)

Oh come on .. REALLY?

Did you EVER consider that maybe .. just maybe ... there are some members who have joined to be a part of a support group .. but maybe, just maybe .. they are not good spellers .. maybe, just maybe .. because they are not well educated, or maybe, just maybe they have a learning disability .. or something to that effect. My guess is they never joined to be made fun of, or have someone like you criticizing their scholastic shortfalls.

I guess I musta missed the prerequisite for a college edumacation when I joined this forum.

Pffttt! If you are so good with grammar .. How about looking up the word EMPATHY. I'm thinking they never covered that subject in police school.

Sheesh!

So what you're saying is, if somebody makes a mistake, rather than correct them and help them learn, you'd rather just let them go on screwing up? Huh. Personally, I like helping people.

When did criticism become a bad thing? Are we really that wimpy a society now that we can't even take criticism and learn from it? It automatically becomes an evil thing to do to try and better people by pointing out a mistake and trying to help them learn the error of their ways?

And how is English being a second language even an excuse? If I'm writing in German, Spanish, or Japanese and I make a spelling or grammatical error, I damn sure would expect and honestly would want someone to point it out to me. How else am I going to learn, if people don't point out and correct my mistakes?
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

So what you're saying is, if somebody makes a mistake, rather than correct them and help them learn, you'd rather just let them go on screwing up? Huh. Personally, I like helping people.

When did criticism become a bad thing? Are we really that wimpy a society now that we can't even take criticism and learn from it? It automatically becomes an evil thing to do to try and better people by pointing out a mistake and trying to help them learn the error of their ways?

And how is English being a second language even an excuse? If I'm writing in German, Spanish, or Japanese and I make a spelling or grammatical error, I damn sure would expect and honestly would want someone to point it out to me. How else am I going to learn, if people don't point out and correct my mistakes?
    .....this

However I do prefer the passive aggressive approach rather than the more direct spelling police approach.

Just read my siggy :bigsmile:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It exacerbates the heck out of me when that happens.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Personally I want to lose some loose skin. :laugh:
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Eye like two spill like this.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm loving how exacerbate has made it's way into almost every thread today.:laugh: