2»

Replies

• livinghcglacey
    Options
    up water intake, up calories, get pregnancy test, and blood work :smile:
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    First, it doesn't look like you are eating enough (if that's how you eat every day) - or eating enough of the right foods. The body needs proteins to heal and repair. A woman needs to eat 60-90 grams of protein a day (closer to 90 if she exercises). 3 eggs = 18 grams of protein, just to give you an idea! It takes FAT to lose fat. Google "coconut oil" and read up about it. Coconut oil has a lot of healing properties and it helps promote weight loss. You need to reduce your fruit and grain (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, etc.) intake as both those convert to sugar in the body which spikes insulin which results in fat storage. Eating protein promotes glucagon, which promotes fat burning/weight loss. I personally eat very little fruit, no sugar, no breads or grains. I eat lots of good protein, nuts, salad, vegetables and very little fruit.

When you don't eat enough in the day the body thinks you are starving it and will hold onto everything you put in the body.

When someone has a thyroid issue, that can absolutely affect your ability to lose weight. However, there's also something else that gets missed... The nervous system is "commander and chief" of your body and tells everybody else what to do. There are two parts to the nervous system: parasympathetic (slow down, relax) and sympathetic (fight and flight, speed up). Sometimes what happens is that the body can stay STUCK in parasympathetic or sympathetic mode or, sometimes the nervous system gets confused and turns on sympathetic when it should've turned on parasympathetic (and vice-versa). In the case of the latter, the body will do the opposite - in other words, a woman goes on a diet, exercises and GAINS WEIGHT. With that said, If either of these conditions are present, the body isn't open to anything and can affect your ability to lose weight. There are very specific reasons why this occurs and very simple solutions that can be done to resolve it.

I recommend looking into the alternative health realm - a practitioner who does "muscle-testing" who can find what's going on and put you on natural whole food supplements to help your body heal and repair so that you can lose weight.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I wondered about how much I should eat. MFP says I need 1450 calories a day to sustain 1lbs a week weight loss. I dont actually track my calories here. (I used to on an old account, but I had an email address get hacked and ended up just recreating my account here) As far as water goes, I drink between 6 and 8 8oz glasses a day. I try to eat snacks during the day but I get so wrapped up in working, I just forget (even with setting reminders on my phone.)

I think my first step will be to make an appointment with the doc specifically for this, rather than my annual or semi-annual wellness exam. I am also going to try and be better about entering my calories to try and get a handle on how many I am actually eating each day - I would guess between 900 and 1200 a day.

900-1200 per day is not nearly enough for someone your age, weight, and height. In fact, 1200 calories really shouldn't be anyone's goal unless they are very obese and supervised by medical professionals while on the diet. By the calculators that I use online, it looks like you should be eating somewhere between 1700-1800 calories to lose weight, + exercise calories. Ans that's for someone who is sedentary, which, from what you describe, it sounds like your lifestyle is more "lightly active", and you may even need to be eating even more than that. (http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced)

If your thyroid isn't the problem (which I am doubting it is) I would also recommend some real strength training and raising your calories to a healthy level.
  • debbiemoretti
    Options
    I would for sure make a dr. Apt. For blood work, get on a med. For it, if you are for sure you are hypo.it can cause weight gain if not on medication for it, as i am and have been for quite some time now. Then from this day on it will always have to be monitored for your hormone levels can change often if not followed.
    I have whats called "Hosimotos desease " it ends up a form of hypothyriodism. But your body can get so out of wak!
    So please get your blood test done!
    Let me know if you have any other questions about it, i also work at our hosp. Here and in the health field for many yrs. So i can answer any question you might have? Good luck
    Deb
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Consider adding more protein into your diet around lunch time. Grilled chicken or lean beef on the salad, maybe a protein bar or shake supplement side peanut butter & jelly sandwich (with 1 slice of whole wheat bread), etc. Complex carbs (whole wheat) are also great to add into your diet if you eat regular pastas, bread, etc.

You could be retaining water after eating out (I do all of the time). Drink lots of water to try to flush out the excess sodium.

Change up the exercise routine. Add in a day on one of the weekend days or an extra mile or a 2nd round of the video later that day. Yoga is great to help build strength and there are some great free videos on Exercise TV that are online or on your On Demand service if you don't have Dish.

Otherwise if you make these changes and things still aren't moving that make an appointment with your Dr and Dietician.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    A lot of exercise + not enough calories = weight gain or no weight loss.
    The latter is possible. The former absolutely is not. The body is not a perpetual motion machine. If it helps to wrap your mind around this idea, take it to the extreme. If you ate NOTHING at all, and exercised a lot, would you expect to gain weight? Of course not, so why do people think adding another 800 or 1000 Cal to that equation would change the outcome. Even thyroid problems can't change the basic thermodynamic equation of calories in vs calories out, except to lower the calories out number which would make you stable, NOT gaining.

However, to the OP, I do think that you probably need to visit a doc to make sure everything is operating normally. I have a question, though? Are your measurements changing for the better in spite of your weight gain? (I doubt it, seeing your diet, but it's possible.)
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It could be what my issue was if your on birth control. A few years back I was in the same boat. And I found out it was my iud. If you have one for some reason you wont lose weight and in my situation I didnt gain eather. Hopefully you get your ancer even if this one isint it. Cuz I know how crazy it was making me. Good luck in your weight loss.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My initial guess is you need some good fat in your diet. Avocado, fatty fish, nuts, seeds...it sounds like your body is holding onto the little you give it.

And, I'd love to know, with all the exercise and lean eating you're doing, are your clothes looser? You may just have been gaining some wonderful muscle and not any fat.