Vitamins

Options
Typically I take a vitamin C and B12 each day.. are there any additional vitamins that anyone could recommend?

I am 27 years old.. :)

Replies

• irisheyes42us
    Options
    :smile: It would be good to take a multivitamin from a health food store. You need the nutrients balanced. It has C and B's in it.
  • summerholden
    Options
    That's what I was thinking (and some of my coworkers have recommended). What about fish oil, etc?...
    :smile: It would be good to take a multivitamin from a health food store. You need the nutrients balanced. It has C and B's in it.
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin too plus i have to take a prescription vitamin D because i work at night I don't get it from the sun.
  • JanetTerry
    JanetTerry Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just started taking GNC's Women's Ultra Mega Active VitaPaks and I feel pretty good! They are NOT small pills.... and there are seven of them! But they go down better for me with milk :) They are in daily packages for you - so no messing with bottles :)
  • summerholden
    Options
    i will def be investing in multivitamins :)
    I take a multi vitamin too plus i have to take a prescription vitamin D because i work at night I don't get it from the sun.
  • summerholden
    Options
    That's one thing I do not like.. huge pills! I thought my vitamin C pills were large.. eek :/

Guess I'll go into GNC this week and check some things out..
    I just started taking GNC's Women's Ultra Mega Active VitaPaks and I feel pretty good! They are NOT small pills.... and there are seven of them! But they go down better for me with milk :) They are in daily packages for you - so no messing with bottles :)
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I take:

Omega-3 1000mg, 3 per day

Cayenne Pepper 150mg, 3 per day (look this one up learn about it)

Astaxanthin 10mg, 1 per day (read about this one as well)

Thanks,
    TF
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I take B12 & B6 the B6 really complements the B12...Google Benefits of B6 & B12. :wink:
    Fish Oil is good also, I have to get some more lol
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I take:

Omega-3 1000mg, 3 per day

Cayenne Pepper 150mg, 3 per day (look this one up learn about it)

Astaxanthin 10mg, 1 per day (read about this one as well)

Thanks,
    TF

I've read some good things about astaxanthin, are you taking it for the anti-oxidant benefits or something else?
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    (How am I becoming the resident skeptic on this board? :ohwell: )

Most of the peer-reviewed studies vitamins have found no benefit to high doses of vitamins beyond USRDA amounts. Anecdotal evidence to the contrary is subject to the placebo effect and breaks down under rigorous, double-blind studies. A useful analogy is to think of vitamins like bricks for building a house. If you don't have enough bricks, the house can't be built, but having an extra pile laying around won't get the house built faster or easier either.

In fact, it is actually possible to overdose on some (generally fat-soluble) vitamins and become sick - notably vitamins A, B, D, and E. The USDA has established a "Tolerable Upper Intake Level" for most vitamins and minerals and you should not exceed that.

That said, I do take a daily multivitamin to make sure I have enough bricks lying around. You don't need some $1/day GNC bottle either; $5/month from Centrum or Naturelife will do just as well. I also take Omega-3 in the form of krill oil because there is a lot of heart disease in my family and I'm, well, fat (for now). Krill oil is a lot more expensive than fish oil, but the pills are much smaller and you don't burp fish when you take them. Mercury is also a potential problem with fish oil.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    (How am I becoming the resident skeptic on this board? :ohwell: )

Most of the peer-reviewed studies vitamins have found no benefit to high doses of vitamins beyond USRDA amounts. Anecdotal evidence to the contrary is subject to the placebo effect and breaks down under rigorous, double-blind studies. A useful analogy is to think of vitamins like bricks for building a house. If you don't have enough bricks, the house can't be built, but having an extra pile laying around won't get the house built faster or easier either.

In fact, it is actually possible to overdose on some (generally fat-soluble) vitamins and become sick - notably vitamins A, B, D, and E. The USDA has established a "Tolerable Upper Intake Level" for most vitamins and minerals and you should not exceed that.

That said, I do take a daily multivitamin to make sure I have enough bricks lying around. You don't need some $1/day GNC bottle either; $5/month from Centrum or Naturelife will do just as well. I also take Omega-3 in the form of krill oil because there is a lot of heart disease in my family and I'm, well, fat (for now). Krill oil is a lot more expensive than fish oil, but the pills are much smaller and you don't burp fish when you take them. Mercury is also a potential problem with fish oil.

Yes, an overdose of anything can be detrimental, even fatal. Even drinking too much water in a short period can kill you.