Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

why do so many people think you have to eat you ex cals back

Ive seen a few posts actually quite allot about how you should eat your excercise calories back ?? why
why do people think its sooooo unhealthy to to lose a bit extra it seems to me people are forgetting what we are in essence that is a animal and our bodies are designed to guide us to eat properly its just that we have stoped listening to it and have corrupted it with addictive things like sugars etc and have taught it to take in way more than we need ,,, i get that its not healthy to lose lots of weight quickly and to not eat enough and not get nutrients etc etc but i think its just as unhealthy to make ourselves eat when we dont feel like it or need it, if after a big excercise day you dont feel like eating why should you to me that is just going against our bodys already accurate gauge and forcing it to do something that isnt healthy after all we are all individuals so to me applying a rule like this to everyone is just stupid, personally im going to keep listerning to my body on days where i feel i need to make up those cals i will on days were i dont feel hungry and feel satisfied i wont its working so far and i feel great anyway i am actually honestly interested as to why and and why not people follow this maybe im missing something im always willing too be open minded and to listern afterall if i new it all i wouldnt be here :)

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    ANYONE ORDER A DEAD HORSE?!!??!
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    i7Y4d.gif

No, but really -- why not? Some people do -- some people don't. I personally don't, but it does matter to some people, so why question that?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    It's personal preference, a lot of people have noticed that they lose more/faster when they eat their exercise calories back. If you use the search function and read replies you'll see a lot of explanations for it.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    our bodies are designed to guide us to eat properly its just that we have stoped listening to it and have corrupted it with addictive things like sugars etc and have taught it to take in way more than we need ,,,
    or trained it to not complain on less.

You already have the answer there. You can't trust your body until you re-train it to accept and want the right kinds and right amounts of food.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    You can choose to do whatever you want. I eat my calories back because when I don't, I plateau. I use capital letters and punctuation, but some people prefer not to.

We all make choices and can always change our minds if something isn't working.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    ANYONE ORDER A DEAD HORSE?!!??!
    I did! thanks...
    *swings bat*
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I eat them because I've learned it is what my body wants. Considering I'm in maintenance and have been at (or below!) my goal weight for a year now -- I'm pretty sure I do it because it works.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Different strokes for different folks. I don't burn enough calories exercising due to physical limitations to matter one way or the other. For someone on a 1200 calorie a day and then burns 600-700 calories in exercise, it would seem to me that they would need to eat back the calories burned just to stay out of starvation mode. I think it is different for everyone and in the end, one's own decision.
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    This battle goes on and on.....
  • What??? Wow, that's the longest sentence ever. :noway:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    First, I really like your profile picture.
    Second, I'm a growing boy.. not eating my excersize calories will cause my muscles to shrivel up and fall off.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Great Post! I totally agree I thought it was just me that felt that way. It's like eating back all your hard work...you just exercised and burnt. With this thinking I am watching to see if the scale moves back a little more...Just staying and not going over my limit...the calories I worked so hard to burn are invisible...So we'll see lol :wink:

I am just trying different things at different times to see what works for "my" body. 2 wks of this 2 wks of that just to see how the scale moves: I could be right- I could be wrong...How I lose weight has the last say.
  • I would hope that when you are doing extensive exercise such as running or cycling you would continuously replenish while exercising. You will get more out of the run/ride and you will not feel depleated. Running yourself nutritionally or energy wise into the ground while doing lengthy strenuous exercise is unhealthy.

I personally do not eat all my exercise calories back, but they are nice to have because I would otherwise go over what I am given by MFP, On long bike rides such as yesterday's 72 mile ride, I burned 5500 calories. I ate about 3400 for the day, so I was still way under. Most of the extra calories were consumed while on the ride.
  • I basically just use the calorie count as a guideline. When my metabolism is working great, my body tells me I'm hungry, and it's pretty much on que every few hours. I usually don't eat my exercise calories back. I know if I'm fueling my body well, I feel great, have energy etc, ...so if it's not broke, why fix it?! What works for one, may not work for another. All depends on the person.
  • because the human body requires food to live. at least, that's what they taught us in elementary school. *shrugs*
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    To all the its been done , dead horse etc comments im sure it has im sure i could search and find a billion answers to similar questions but it wouldnt be my question i wouldnt be getting the exact answers i want i wouldnt be involving myself into the community asking things i want to ask ,,,, i think its pretty simple if you feel like this has been answered if you feel i dont deserve your time or a reply then wait for it........................................... dont answer it dont read it wow that was hard huh i think those so called answers i could search for would be more helpful if comments like yours didnt fill them ,, now when some one searchs this topic they will find my questions with your stupid and unhelpful answers anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

To all the other people with your helpful advice thankyou i wasnt trying to attack or anything im new here and this whole concept is new and confusing to me like i said im open minded and i know i dont know everything or even much about weight loss if i did i wouldnt be here trying too become healthy so even if your advice was agaisnt my opinions it was very helpful its interesting to me to know that some people actually lose more weight when they eat back their cals and its something i might try

anyway thanks again to the people who didnt come here to complain about reading something that they clicked open and read
  • Chelly02
    Chelly02 Posts: 34 Member
    Yea, I was wondering the same thing! Im definitely going to try and see if it works for me.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Because that's how MFP is designed. You've already been given a healthy deficit to lose weight without exercising. If you add more of a deficit, you risk running too large of a deficit. A healthy deficit is 1,000 calories a day for a larger person - that's a 2 pound loss a week. The smaller you are, the smaller a healthy deficit is. If you already have a 1,000 cal deficit, exercise, and burn 500, your daily deficit is now 1500. Too big, you should eat some of those back to get closer to a 1,000 cal deficit. By trying to speed up weight loss to a point that is unhealthy is, well, unhealthy, and for some can cause health problems in the long run, even if it seems to be working for weightloss at the moment.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories