Steak & Shake Chili - Use With Caution

Options
This thread is for people who are trying to learn to eat normal foods in moderation. I don't need to hear from clean eaters, how all the sodium is going to ZOMG kill me, that there's way too much fat to possibly lose weight, or whatever. Save that for another thread, please.

But IF Steak & Shake is something you'd ever consider eating, be careful with their chili - it's absolutely LOADED with calories.

Took the family there this evening for dinner after some shopping. They have a "Snack Pack" meal that is a single w/cheese, jr fries and a drink (tea) for $2.99 that's 496 Calories and quite filling if you have them load up the burger with veg. I eat it occasionally. Anyway, I was feeling a little extra hungry and I knew I had about 300 extra calories in the budget since I'd slept through breakfast this morning. The soup was crap, so I thought the little bowl (about 1 cup) of chili would be a decent substitute. I guessed it would be 200-250 Cal because I'd made chili at home last week, and it was 250 Cal/2 cup serving. So I ate it and it was good.

When I got home and checked the MFP database, I found to my shock that the little cup of chili weighs in at 440 Cal! It is roughly FOUR TIMES as calorie-dense as my homemade chili - and I didn't do anything special to make that "diet food." So that meal was 936 Cal. For that, I could have had a freaking bacon double cheeseburger and medium fries!

I won't make that mistake again.

Replies

• naturalveg
    Options
    Thanks for the head's up! I wouldn't have thought it'd be that high either. Live and learn... :smile:
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I miss Steak and Shake. There aren't any around this area.
  • MaryRarick
    MaryRarick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good for you for checking when you got home. It's a good reminder to all of us. Thank you.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    First, I know you feel cheated as you tried very hard to stay within your calories. This is the most amazing and helpful thing about this site to me is being able to look up chain restaurant entree calories. I would always get the sirloin steak, plain bake potato and salad with half the dressing at Outback Steak House thinking I was doing pretty good. When I looked it up, over 1000 calories! So, I looked up the grilled chicken with vegetables for Outback and it is 401 calories so now I know what to order. I have to tell you, there is so much good info on this site that I can't believe it is free but I am so happy that it is!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    wow. . .Just keep in mind that the data base here is really good, but is not always correct as it is dependent on what people put in there a lot of times. .

My recommendation. . See if the restaurant has a website with the nutritional info and look it up on your own. . Just a thought. . Good luck on health and fitness journey!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    wow. . .Just keep in mind that the data base here is really good, but is not always correct as it is dependent on what people put in there a lot of times. .

My recommendation. . See if the restaurant has a website with the nutritional info and look it up on your own. . Just a thought. . Good luck on health and fitness journey!
    I know. I was so surprised that MFP told me 440 that I check the S&S website and sure enough, 440.

I'm still under for the day with exercise, but I don't get to have a beer tonight now. :sad: