2 months into weight loss & quitting smoking ...

Options
So i started at about 225 lbs 8-9 weeks ago..im now at 183.9 (42 lb loss) and now im quitting smoking...omg, all i want to do is eat...how do I NOT gain weight??

Replies

• babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    i had lost 50 lbs on my own before i quit smoking 2 years ago. i gained it all back when i quit. to help me with the wanting to eat all the time.. i used the nicorette inhaler. it worked.. u probably want to eat all the time cause u are missing the hand to mouth motion.. with the nicorette inhaler, u get the benefit of feeling like u are smoking with no nicotine and it helps curb the hunger.
    hope that helps.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I quit when I found out I was pregnant. I was so hungry, from the pregnancy and quitting! Seriously, I know it is hard, try to eat healthier and at least you wont gain as much. Try to chew on gum, eat carrot and celeri sticks....I dont know what else to tell you but it is soooooo worth it to quit! In no time you will feel so much better! If I could do it, so can you! Congrats on quitting!
  • Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One thing I did was to buy some giant bags of frozen mixed vegetables. They fill me up, there's great nutrition in them, they're cheap, and if I add a bit of chicken or fish to them they really aren't so bad.

Congrats on quitting smoking btw! Keep at it...it's been a few years for me, and I can really feel the difference.
  • Keep moving!!!! I ate a lot of gobstoppers and ate french fries. I found myself smoking my french fries, for real. I also tell myself that it doesn't fit into my lifestyle anymore. good luck and stay strong
  • kacbldmm07
    Options
    I have done tons of research on this and also have talked with my doctor. They say you burn 10-20 calories every time you smoke one cig. So if you smoke a pack a day thats 400 calories you burn. Most people who quit do not replace those calories burned your body is used to. So there, you gain weight. Plus to fix the hand mouth they tend to replace it with unhealthy food. So not only are you not burning those calories but your putting more into your body then normal. This is where the weight gain comes into play. So, take an extra walk to burn those calories your body is used to, and buy some no calorie fixes. Straws work. Even the electronic cigs work. Buy some vicks rub and rub it under your nose. I am not a dr so I cant say I am 100% correct on this, but it does make sense.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    Water works for me. If I lose my water cup, I swear it's as bad as running out of smokes used to be. Been quit since March 19th. I didn't gain when I quit, but my loss did slow. My cup has a straw, so it gives me some added oral fixation release. And of course, water gets rid of that 'hunger' feeling that is really thirst :)
    Good luck, you are making great changes in your life!
  • d1lazarus
    Options
    Good for you! I quit smoking on 1/3/11 and have been feeling better ever since. Started on the road to weight loss here not too long ago. About 3 weeks of good workouts in and down 18lbs. I already feel so much better.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    :heart: Great job girl!!! Since we are friends I had to check this out! I am so glad you got some good advise. You are doing the right thing!!!! One day at a time - YOU CAN DO IT :bigsmile: