Anyone using G.I. Diet (Glycemic Index)

Options
Anyone using the G.I. diet to lose weight? My wife has a problem with sugar and was reading that this would help level out the sugar cravings that plague her.

Replies

• cherryObebe
    Options
    I am not on a GI diet, but am trying to eat more low GI foods.
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    I have a problem with sugar!!! *BUMP*!!!!
  • johncowart
    johncowart Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to them but also depends on what it is. Just because it has a low GI may not mean it is that slow absorbing.
    J
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Foods that have a higher glycemic index spike the blood sugar; whereas food with a lower glycemic index do not spike it. It gently rises and falls back to normal. Eating low glycemic foods helps to keep the blood sugar more consistent. When we spike the blood sugar our bodies produce a lot of insulin to take the high amounts of sugar out of the blood. An additional problem to the spike is that our bodies keep producing insulin until the blood sugar comes down. The excessive insulin not only brings our blood sugar back to normal levels, but it then takes us below. Hence, the crash. Once we are below that level, then it is our body's goal to get more sugar.

Eating 5 small meals a day opposed to 3 larger meals also helps to keep the blood sugar more consistent.
  • BabzillaRR
    Options
    I should learn more about this "bump"

I'm a borderline diabetic in a family of diabetics
    3 generations of diabetics before me. My last tests over 1 yr ago can back .1 above normal. I'm hoping 28 pounds gone will make a difference.
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes that is true it will help her. Low gi is an excellent way to eat. It will stop the blood sugar spikes that occur when we eat high gi foods. It is alot easier on our beta cells as well (cells that produce insulin) just like anything in our bodies if we overwork them, they will wear out (in this case developing type 2 diabetes)
    Many foods are low gi, you will be spoilt for choice, there are many good books on this subject. My favorite is: The new glucose revolution. Same old story though, if we eat too much (even low gi) we will gain weight. Especially with low gi, for example chocolate, icecream and grainy bread is low gi, but if we eat too much of that we will gain weight. Basically anything high fat will be low gi, as the fat slows down absorbtion and digestion of glucose (energy) ie: blue milk is lower gi than green milk. But it is better to choose the low fat version where ever possible. As a general rule most wholefoods are low gi, since they are still in there original form. Also so much better for you. Hope this helps, good luck with your ladies cravings :smile:
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    An additional problem to the spike is that our bodies keep producing insulin until the blood sugar comes down. The excessive insulin not only brings our blood sugar back to normal levels, but it then takes us below. Hence, the crash.

Be cautious about this information. It is a gross oversimplification about the role and function of insulin (which is down-regulated at its target cells and partnered with an antagonist hormone called glucagon that prevents this from happening regularly). This suggestion that the very production of insulin causes a crash is misleading (would NOT lead to a good grade in the endocrine part of my physiology course) and the overproduction of insulin that can cause a crash is typically characteristic of chronic hyperglycemia and not a single food item in a single meal. People at risk for diabetes and under medical advice on diet to avoid high GI foods would do well to follow their medical provider's advice. At the same time, this type of information, while peddled in numerous web sites claiming to provide accurate health information, is not entirely accurate.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    An additional problem to the spike is that our bodies keep producing insulin until the blood sugar comes down. The excessive insulin not only brings our blood sugar back to normal levels, but it then takes us below. Hence, the crash.

Be cautious about this information. It is a gross oversimplification about the role and function of insulin (which is down-regulated at its target cells and partnered with an antagonist hormone called glucagon that prevents this from happening regularly). This suggestion that the very production of insulin causes a crash is misleading (would NOT lead to a good grade in the endocrine part of my physiology course) and the overproduction of insulin that can cause a crash is typically characteristic of chronic hyperglycemia and not a single food item in a single meal. People at risk for diabetes and under medical advice on diet to avoid high GI foods would do well to follow their medical provider's advice. At the same time, this type of information, while peddled in numerous web sites claiming to provide accurate health information, is not entirely accurate.

Sigh - lol

I didn't think that people on this forum needed the long version. Yes, it is quite a bit simplified. I never said that the production of insulin was due to a single food item in a single meal.

Feel free to educate everyone kind sir.
  • Pinky67
    Options
    Wow I'm suprised my simplified opinion got passed on for comment!?! I should know what I'm talking about, my 10yr old son is a type 1 diabetic, not to be confused with type 2 (caused by obesity 98% of the time) My sons good health is reliant on me knowing what I'm talking about, but I don't need to be too scientific....We need to be able to live this way everyday for the rest of our lives, if it's too hard...well we will just give up i suppose.... :ohwell:
  • Pinky67
    Options
    Wow I'm suprised my simplified opinion got passed on for comment!?! I should know what I'm talking about, my 10yr old son is a type 1 diabetic, not to be confused with type 2 (caused by obesity 98% of the time) My sons good health is reliant on me knowing what I'm talking about, but I don't need to be too scientific....We need to be able to live this way everyday for the rest of our lives, if it's too hard...well we will just give up i suppose.... :ohwell: