Having a hard time getting the protein in. Tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Edamame is great for snacking on and you can carry it around with you for a quick fix. You can buy it fresh or frozen.

Interesting idea. I've had it in salads and mixed in other meals but have never thought to just snack on it. Isn't it rather tasteless? Well, I'll give it a try and see.

You can roast it with a little salt and pepper and it's really good.
    I do cottage cheese with 1/2 a cup of Kashi Lean mixed in, Chobani Greek Yogurt, Synth-6 and Optimum Nutrition Protein Powders to help get protein from sources other than meat. Everything is in my diary.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fish is great source of protein, but you don't need meat of any kind to get protein. Beans and nuts (and nut butters) are good veg sources of protein.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try chick peas or hummus. Also a lot of people have recommended, but don't over look the bars, they are much more portable and pack a lot of protein. Go to a GNC or similar store that has a lot of brands and read the labels. You can get 20 grams of protein for 200 cal and <4g carbs no problem.
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes...especially after a work out. :-)
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Glad someone posted about this cuz i noticed recently i wasnt gettin enough protein in as well!! Lots of awesome ideas!! Thanks
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Glad someone posted about this cuz i noticed recently i wasnt gettin enough protein in as well!! Lots of awesome ideas!! Thanks
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    seeds and nuts, but especially pumpkin seeds. they have more protein than steak!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    How about low carb wraps instead of sandwiches?

I do wraps once in awhile. I just keep them to occasional use like I do with whole-grain bread as I'm not fond of the low-carb variety. Strange texture. Quite often, I'll just use a big lettuce leaf to wrap my sandwich innards in. Yummy and low carb.

we are so hooked on vegetarian rice wraps (spring rolls) with peanut sauce! they're like almost no calories, fresh, raw and the peanuts offer some protein in the mix.

lately i've been using bok choy, bean srpout, cellophane noodle, green onion & basil. they're fast, easy and nutritious!! get yer wrapping on!

each 8" wrap (1 roll) is something like 50 calories (with sauce). i eat around 4 rolls and i'm full.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    we are so hooked on vegetarian rice wraps (spring rolls) with peanut sauce! they're like almost no calories, fresh, raw and the peanuts offer some protein in the mix.

lately i've been using bok choy, bean srpout, cellophane noodle, green onion & basil. they're fast, easy and nutritious!! get yer wrapping on!

each 8" wrap (1 roll) is something like 50 calories (with sauce). i eat around 4 rolls and i'm full.

Oh, that sounds like a nice option. I will have to check them out.