To suck it in or not?

1a1a
1a1a Posts: 761 Member
Someone once told me that, generally, when you see a skinny person, they are holding their tummy in. The thought occurs to me that, sometimes when you see a larger person, they too might be sucking their tummy in and, that it is probably good to do so, but I am much to lazy, and spontaneously curious as to how many people do, or don't, suck it in.

So, do you?

And while I'm here, who makes a conscious effort to stand/sit with the shoulders back and their back straight? I often do but not always (I'm slouching at the keyboard right now).

Replies

• I suck my tummy in all the time, I don't even realize I am doing it now.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    some guy dancing with me tonight grabbed my roll! so i sucked it in the rest of the night.
  • Maputi
    Maputi Posts: 49 Member
    Nope, I do not suck it in. Before my transplant I was a size 4-6 and I didn't suck it in then. It was in then and it is out now. I've got other issues to deal with, I think I'll skip the stress of sucking it in. :-)
  • Ajbays10
    Ajbays10 Posts: 39 Member
    i suck it in all the time, unless its just me at my house...its habit now
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    I don't suck my tummy in anymore, but I used to a lot when I was in junior high/high school. Now I just let it hang all out.

Oh, and I have really bad posture. The only time I actively think about standing up straight with my shoulders back is when I'm working out, or when I'm randomly standing somewhere and there's nothing else to do. habitually, I slouch.
  • Maputi
    Maputi Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks, by asking the question, it did make me sit up straight over the keyboard.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    I don't exactly suck it in, but I make sure to engage the muscles in my abdomen as often as I remember, because it's good for keeping them strong, and keeping my posture good. I'm not doing it to impress though :P
  • I used to suck my stomach in on all time.
    Not like as small as I could get it but just to where it became flat.
    It eventually became something I did w/o even thinking about it.
    It burns a few more calories and it works your muscles a bit.

I stopped working out as much and eventually stopped holding my stomach in.
    Though I've gained weight it wasn't until recently that I lost my flat stomach.

So, I def think people would do it.
    It also helps with you posture, which helps with your other muscles too :)

By sucked in I mean what moushtie was saying. Just taught abdominals.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    I don't exactly suck it in consciously, but I've always tended to do a lot of exercises that strengthen my core muscles; a well-conditioned core keeps your stomach taut and "sucked in" without any effort on your part.

A good habit to get into is to pull your stomach muscles in when you're doing any exercise, particularly resistance work - it adds to the benefit of the exercise and improves core strength.
  • I mostly keep mine sucked in, it's a habit, and then as I have a horrible fear of becoming hunchedback I always sit up straight at my desk. I sit for 8 hours a day with my job so I"m keeping my back straight.....been like that ever since I saw a women in her early 30's hunched backed and realized I did it at my desk. I'm NOT going to become hunchedback
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    some guy dancing with me tonight grabbed my roll! so i sucked it in the rest of the night.

omg i would kick his *kitten* for that! i would die of embaressment if that ever happend to me! even by hubby! :mad:

not that any guy would ever ask me to dance with them again anyways! lol
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    I tend to not, but I bought these two tops that are sorta spandexy/clingy and when I wear those I usually suck it in because I look worse if I don't ughh hate these kind of tops lol
  • I suck it in a bit, not that you could tell lol!

I don't make a conscious effort to stand up straight any more - but that's because my neck and shoulder muscles are trained to do it. When I was younger I slouched horribly and my head/neck would naturally hang forward - I had the nickname Quasi at school :( which is whne I started making an effort. Now I stand up straight without trying. :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    When I stand or walk, I stand up straight, therefore it's kind of naturally "sucked in."
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member

You where eating out correct?
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    I think it is automatic... depends on how comfortable you are.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    so Chris, what youare saying is you like to Suck?
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    so Chris, what youare saying is you like to Suck?

funny guy !! no I said it was automatic, like taking your feet off the desk when the LT is doing rounds....
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    I do both b/c thats what Ive always done. Ive been told holding in the stomach muscles help my "core", and good posture affects my health along with first impressions of me. (Bad posture is like a wimpy handshake crappy.) Below is more info...

Posture

The benefits of good posture are not only related to making you look healthier and more confident but may also help to relieve some existing aches and pains. Bad posture accounts for a good portion of most peoples existing back problems. Good posture helps to keep your body pain-free.
    Believe it or not, in terms of our posture, our best days are actually behind us but I wouldn't worry about this unless you have a chronic illness, severe problems due to an accident, or require surgery: for the average healthy person it's entirely possible to regain proper posture.

As for our best days being behind us, our posture was probably at its best when we were kids, before bad habits and stress caused us to tighten up and slouch,sometimes all at once.

Stand Up Straight! Here are a few benefits of practicing good posture:

• Relieve Pain- I'm sure at one time or another someone (probably your mother or grandmother) has told you to stand up straight or to stop slouching. Well guess what? They were right.

Having a properly aligned spine helps the bones, muscles and ligaments in the spine to move smoothly and pain-free when training, doing sports, or just performing daily activities.

Otherwise, if you create imbalances other parts of your body will have to compensate, causing strain, lower back and neck pain, headaches and worn out, fatigued muscles.

• Protect Your Joints- An aligned spine puts less stress on your joints, and less stress on your joints means less of the wear and tear that can lead to pain and reduced range of motion.

• Breathe Better- Slouching makes breathing more difficult for most people because slouching and poor posture compress the lungs and diaphragm, making it more difficult for them to expand. When standing up straight you give your lungs and diaphragm room to expand, making breathing easier.

• Relax Your Muscles- It's easy to assume that people who slouch are just lazy but it takes a lot of effort to have that sloppy looking slouch. Slouching forces your muscles to work harder to hold you in that awkward position, which leaves you feel fatigued. Sitting or standing up straight actually relaxes the muscles and leaves you feeling energized.

• Engage Your Abdominals- Standing or sitting up straight automatically forces you to use your abs, so you're basically killing two birds with one stone: good posture and sexy abs.

• See a More Confident You- Standing up straight, with everything aligned, makes you look and seem like you're on top of the world rather than under it, like when you're slouching.

• You Look Great!- Stand up straight, right now. Now look in the mirror: need I say more?

As you can see, the benefits of good posture are abundant, and abundantly clear, so always be conscience of how you're standing or sitting.

Stomach

Sucking in your stomach when used as an exercise is actually a very good way to increase your core and abdominal strength.

It’s easy, effective and when combined with a nutritional and exercise routine, helps get visible results.

Here is how it works.

Sucking in your stomach is actually known as an ‘abdominal vacuum and is most effective toward the end of your workout.

Start by standing or sitting upright with your back straight. Suck your stomach in and imagine that your belly button is being pulled toward your spine. Hold this position for about 20 – 30 seconds at a time and repeat for as many times as you feel the need.

Be aware that doing only abdominal vacuums will not get you the famous ‘six pack’ or a flat stomach. What it will do however is increase the strength in your core, allowing you to execute more advance abdominal movements and exercises, which will in turn, get you the six pack that you are seeking.

For some more unusual exercises and techniques to help you attain a six pack body there is more information located at the following site

http://www.squidoo.com/Fastest-Way-To-A-Flat-Stomach
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Thanks, by asking the question, it did make me sit up straight over the keyboard.

plus one.