Help please.....

Options
I've had two big binges over the last two nights, not even put most of the stuff on my diary. Not feeling well at the moment and got a lot of emotional stuff going on as well, I'm out for the day today so just going to TRY to put it behind me and carry on as normal and not let it ruin today as well, but really feel like stopping in bed and crying! How do you all cope with all the rubbish that gets thrown your way especially with regards food and emotional comfort, I am in dire need of some help and realistically I know I will be fine but just feeling low ;-(

Replies

• Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You can't change the past - the binges are history. By eating well, and getting exercise, you will start to feel better.

You know you can lose weight, so just take one step at a time. Work out what needs to be done, and do the most urgent/important things first.

Good luck
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ah, binges do happen.God knows, I've gone ultra crazy sometimes (pots and pots of Ben and Jerry's later...) Sometimes we just need that comfort, end of. There is nowt to do, except to accept what happened and move on. Don't starve your body too much of the good stuff otherwise binges are more likely.

Look on the positive side - you have acknowledged what happened. The good thing is you probably did a zig zag calorie thing and your body will probably be grateful for extra calories. Now you can hop right back on the bandwagon and continue your journey!

Good luck my friend! Keep smiling.
    Options
    The odd binge is something which most of us live with. I used to get like you - depressed and fed-up with myself. Now, a long time ahead of those days, I do still have a binge occasionally, but I tell myself off (not too harshly!!) to put it behind me and carry on again. Like the rest of us, you are human after all! After my husband was ill, I regained the 7 lbs I had lost while he was ill, but am now back on track. You will be too, be sure of that, and love yourself - it will help to give you confidence.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling the same if it helps to know you're not alone (like we feel at the time) - I am the opposite tho - eating stops completely (starvation mode - the reason I am OW).
    Anyways, my best coping strategy is to keep exercising. It doesn't work on the days you can't get out of bed of course - but on the days you can - exercise and you will feel 100% better.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well, the practical stuff first: I agree with Jennie. Don't let the binges become another big emotional thing you have to deal with.

Chances are you haven't done *that* much damage. And if the scales show a big increase, don't panic - most of that will be water from the now unaccustomed fats and salts in the food.

On the emotional side - I'm really so sorry that you're having such a hard time, lovely. This is definitely the toughest part of trying to get healthier. Eating to self-soothe is such a natural thing to do - it's what babies do, it's how babies form their first attachment, it's what we learn as our first form of emotional comfort. Physical and emotional nurture *are* intertwined.

It's not an easy thing to unlearn when that pattern's gone a bit wonky, and when the nurturance we give ourselves with food has become a bit toxic because we're feeding ourselves 'comfort' food that isn't really terribly good for us. A few things that I find help me. First is asking myself whether this big wedge of cheese, chocolate, crisps, whatever, is really going to have any actual impact on the circumstances making me feel cruddy. Second, I have choices available to me that i know make me feel good, but that aren't unhealthy. Cherries and mangoes work for me, as does, bizarrely, rice and beans (carribean style - very earth-mothery and works better for me than mash potato!). Finally, if I'm feeling particularly like I don't want to get out of bed, and really want to sink under the duvet with a box of chocolates and stay there till spring.... I force myself out of bed, and I go to the gym. Because I'm trying to teach myself that looking after myself means looking after myself, not filling myself up with junk.

There's no miracle solution to it, and it took me a while to really change my mind about my need for comfort food. I certainly still have major lapses - I think we all do. The trick, I think, to sustainable weightloss, is not to let those lapses knock you off course. Dusting yourself off and getting back on the horse is the only way forward.

I do hope this doesn't sound all worthy and smug - I hope you know I'm neither of those things! But this is what works for me, with all my depressive, anxious, dysfunctional eating stuff. If I can help at all, just shout. xxxx
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just forget the binges - they're done and over with and don't stress with how you should feel or how much will-power you should have, you'll get back on track just give yourself some TLC.
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind words, I am now going to get back on track and cut myself some slack ;-)
  • UphillBattleAxe
    UphillBattleAxe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just a quickie, but keeping exercising is the best thing for me.....I can get down about a food binge, but it happens at sometime to all but the iron willed out there (who to me are not normal!!!). Try and get out for a walk.....being outdoors always does me good, if its sunny feel the warmth on your skin and appreciate the blue sky......if it's raining (it does a lot of that here in Ireland) still go for it, even at 42 I have been know to splash in the odd puddle or two to vent frustration....childish yes, but fun :-)

I always get more upset with myself over a break in exercise rather than the odd binge....hope this helps :-))
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you, I have a couple of dogs so walking twice a day at the moment and enjoying the outdoors is a big help ;-)