Curious on calories burned while crawling hands/knees

Options
I seem to remember as a kid one of the larger calorie burns seemed to come from crawling on hands and knees.

Been looking on websites trying to find a accurate calorie burn for it, if it was done as part of a exercise program.

Say a moderate pace, not a fast crawl. Weight range would be 250-275.

It ought to burn a good amount I would think. say 20 minutes?

If someone has an idea of how many calories it burns, I would be grateful. Maybe even add it into the database if it is good.

Replies

• suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump! Not sure if this is a serious post or not haha!
  • lostsoul2216
    lostsoul2216 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It is serious.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Mind going crazy trying to keep it clean...UGH ...your killing me
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I wanna see this!
  • kassied09
    Options
    I wish I could help you out! All I can say is I hope you are cleaning ;]
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

:blushing:
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I don't see how there would be any advantage over walking or running. There may actually be less muscle use because you're not balancing. Babies crawl because they're not strong enough to walk upright yet.

So, at best it would be similar to walking or running which is: kilograms x kilometers x 1.036
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    As a kid, how did you know it was a large calorie burner? :laugh:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Mind going crazy trying to keep it clean...UGH ...your killing me

rofl same :devil:
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have the Human Centipede in my head now :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    Just out of curiosity....is this an indoor our outdoor activity?
  • lostsoul2216
    lostsoul2216 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks on the formula to figure it.

I did 125 kg x 5 km x 1.036 and got 647. Mind you this was just curiosity.

not as good on the numbers as I was thinking. Ok. Thanks that answered the question.
  • kindergartenmommy
    Options
    I actually googled "calories burned by crawling" and came to this board. I wasn't cleaning. But I was having fun following my kids through an indoor playground! Walking hunched over, crawling, avoiding obstacles (over and under and in between) and occasionally carrying my toddler! So for all you curious people - here's another reason crawling can be exercise! :) (Felt like a circuit training!)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember as a kid one of the larger calorie burns seemed to come from crawling on hands and knees.

what?!

you monitored the calories you burnt when crawling on your hands and knees when you were a child????????
  • unicornsmom
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only Mommy/Babysitter that thought of this after chasing kids around the playspace in the libray, planning another playdate with friends at the playspace in the mall! Little ones got in good naps & I'm losing inches, win-win!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    *tries to think of a comment that won't get him a strike, can't, then slowly backs out of thread*

AigwxmJ.gif
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    OK I CANT POST HERE
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Been looking on websites trying to find a accurate calorie burn for it, if it was done as part of a exercise program.

Say a moderate pace, not a fast crawl. Weight range would be 250-275.

It ought to burn a good amount I would think. say 20 minutes?

If someone has an idea of how many calories it burns, I would be grateful. Maybe even add it into the database if it is good.

I think they call it bear crawls. I have seen it on some crossfit videos.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I don't know about calories, but did you know there's quite a demand for stuff like this?
    People who want to crawl on their hands and knees can meet other people who like to...wait for it...make people crawl. You might even get paid to do it and i hear the outfits are quite interesting.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I don't know about calories, but did you know there's quite a demand for stuff like this?
    People who want to crawl on their hands and knees can meet other people who like to...wait for it...make people crawl. You might even get paid to do it and i hear the outfits are quite interesting.

Where do I sign up?