I think I'm going to have to stop the 30 Day Shred.

Options
I'm on Day 12 of the shred, but I think I'm going to have to quit.

I have sprained one of my ankles twice in my life. The first time was 9 years ago, playing soccer. The next time was 6 years ago, after jumping rope weakened it.

My ankle has been aching with that weak feeling the past 3 days because of all the jumping in the workouts. I was going to press on, but it's not getting better.

Oh well, I tried. I'd rather stop now and let my ankle heal than to press on and end up spraining it again and not be able to work out for 6+ weeks.

Replies

• aprilhelmreich
    aprilhelmreich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Maybe jog in place instead of jumping once you heal. I broke my arm a little bit ago and I started Insanity workouts... when it comes to stuff that bothers my arm I just jog in place. My results are still great!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't like the 30DS. I find it hurts my knees, and I don't have especially weak knees. I hate to think what it does to someone who is overweight. I also find it rather boring.
  • kelleman1
    kelleman1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Maybe jog in place instead of jumping once you heal. I broke my arm a little bit ago and I started Insanity workouts... when it comes to stuff that bothers my arm I just jog in place. My results are still great!

I was jogging in place during the jumping at first, but I got ambitious :/ There's way too much jumping in level 2 to compensate for it though.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You can modify ANY of the moves for any weak body part. For me, it's my knees and I rarely do any actual jumping.
  • kelleman1
    Options
    I don't like the 30DS. I find it hurts my knees, and I don't have especially weak knees. I hate to think what it does to someone who is overweight. I also find it rather boring.

Yes, it does get quite monotonous!
  • kelleman1
    Options
    You can modify ANY of the moves for any weak body part. For me, it's my knees and I rarely do any actual jumping.

Probably true, but now the damage has already been done, and I want to rest my ankle. I feel like by the time I get to where I can do it again, I might as well start over.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I have a mini stepper that I purchased at Walmart for around $40. I use it during the cardio, much less impact.
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    "Do, or do not... there is no try." - Yoda.

As others have said, all exercises can be modified to compensate for a weak / injured part. I twisted my knee doing TurboFire on Monday. After a few days I am now back at it, modifying the moves as I go to involve less twisting. It can be done, you just need the motivation to do it ^_^.
  • kelleman1
    Options
    "Do, or do not... there is no try." - Yoda.

I'm not giving up, I'm doing something else.

Right now it hurts to stand up for a time.

There are plenty of exercises that I do everyday, work out DVDs just aren't going to be one of them.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    That video made my ankles and knees hurt. It was better when I started doing the workout without shoes LOL But I think you should try something else. When something is not working, it is time to re *kitten* what you are doing.

Good luck
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You might look into a cheapy ankle brace for whatever future workout you do.
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    That video made my ankles and knees hurt. It was better when I started doing the workout without shoes LOL But I think you should try something else. When something is not working, it is time to re *kitten* what you are doing.

Good luck

Me too!! my foot and ankle were hurting, so I tried it barefoot, which i'm sure lots of people will say its no good, but I feel much better that way! I'm on level 2, did all of level 1 barefoot!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body! If it is telling you that you are in pain listen, bu if it is telling you to go have a cheeseburger ignore:laugh: Either way find another route!

Ken
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't know the 30DS specifically. But I have a huge history of bad ankles. I tore my ligaments at 12 and have spent years and years of being in casts, walking casts, braces, etc. etc. Have probalby torn ligaments in both ankles at least 10 times over the past 25+ years. There are exercises you can do to specifically stretch and strengthen your ankles. Look on Youtube. I've been running for 18 months and do insanity and p90x and have not had any ankles issues whatsoever. I also have bad knees that I found the best thing was to strengthen them. I run in barefoot shoe which was recommended by my podiatrist because of my ankle looseness. It's been a remakeable recovery. Please don't let your old injuries stop you from getting to your goals.... strengthen them!
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I ruptured my Achilles a year ago, and I never, ever want to go through that again. I am stubborn, though, so I have to watch out. I started with 30D Shred and had to improvise on the plank jacks and stuff. She does give you modifications, as others have pointed out, and those helped me. I didn't do it for 30 days straight because I also get bored doing the same thing over and over again, but I still think her workouts are the best I've done- much easier on my body than the BeachBody series. Yesterday, after doing the 6 week 6 pack, my Achilles hurts (because of the cardio intervals). So, today I'm going to do something low impact and I will continue to do that until my Achilles feels better. I know that other people have problems with knees using her DVDs; it is because there are so many lunges, etc. For me, making sure my knee doesn't go past my ankle has been the key. It means I'm way slower than her and her 'girls', but I get it done in the safest way possible that works for me.

All of this is to say that I fully support you listening to your body and not pushing it. I do encourage you to try other DVDs of her's though. Feel free to friend me, if you like, and good luck on your weight loss journey:smile:
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

I'm actually obese and have joint problems but I find 30DS ok on my knees, but I know A LOT of people do find it hard on the knees even when they don't have knee problems. The only exercise I can't do is the knee circles - that DOES hurt my knees. I guess it's like all DVDs - it's not for everyone.

Yeah, I think taking a break from 30DS is a good idea and perhaps do something that puts less strain on the ankle instead for a while. You may find you can do it in the future but you may have to have days off in between. Perhaps you can find some exercises online to strengthen your ankle. I hope your ankle is feeling better soon.
  • kelleman1
    Options
    Barefoot! That's an idea!

ken: I don't like cheeseburgers anyway! :P

mlb929: I will do that, thank you!

dlj1970: thanks! I think I'm going to keep doing what I was doing before, and maybe hold off on any workout dvd's until I lose more weight.

CarolynB38: thank you!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Very wise to listen to your own body.