SO, I GOT MY HRM AND.......

Options
WHAT A SHOCK~ I have been WAAAAAY OVERestimating my calories burned!!!

For JMs 30 Day shred, a "calorie calculator" gave me 323 cals burned. ACTUAL (on HRM) 164!!

For JMs Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism (that kicks my butt)~ Calculator over 500. HRM~ 244!!!

I will get over my bruised ego and am grateful for the "reality check" but geez guys, did it have to "slap" me??

Meanwhile, the Polar FT7 is as easy to use and comfortable as you all said it would be and I really AM glad to now know for sure what I'm doing. Someone mentioned that a HRM changed their whole fitness routine and I believe that's what will happen for me too.

I already WANT to work harder to get my heartrate up!!

Replies

• Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7... and to find out how much I was over estimating... Ugh!! Great to know, but I totally agree with the I was 'slapped' in the face too!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It really makes you see things differently. I found when I first got mine it was totally a new toy. I did things just to see what I burned and if I could go further, faster, longer just to see the numbers rise..LOL.

May just have to go dust mine off and see if I can get that new toy feeling back ;)
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I want to get one too. Sometimes when i enter my exercises I think "there's no way I burned that much"
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    haha thats why I LOVE my HRM
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    HA!

I just bought my FT7 yesterday, and was shocked to see how much i'm *actually* burning, compared to what I thought.

What a nifty little machine though!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Jenn

BTW~ your stats ROCK!!! Congratulations!!
  • Suepop1994
    Options
    Somewhat confused by the abbreviations however, I feel as thought the MFP calculator is inaccurate and I want to find a better way to calculate calories burned. Can you help?
  • bexp2
    bexp2 Posts: 41
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I switched to a Polar HRM from a Timex. Likewise, it was quite an ego blow, but as you said, it's best to get an accurate picture--I'm hoping it's more accurate, anyway. The Polar allowed me to input more personal info, so I think that made the difference.
  • kassied09
    Options
    I have a question about this - When I work out on machines at the gym (and there is a heart rate monitor on it) do you find that your HRM is definitely much different from those numbers as well? (you guys are scaring me!)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    WHAT A SHOCK~ I have been WAAAAAY OVERestimating my calories burned!!!

For JMs 30 Day shred, a "calorie calculator" gave me 323 cals burned. ACTUAL (on HRM) 164!!

For JMs Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism (that kicks my butt)~ Calculator over 500. HRM~ 244!!!

I will get over my bruised ego and am grateful for the "reality check" but geez guys, did it have to "slap" me??

Meanwhile, the Polar FT7 is as easy to use and comfortable as you all said it would be and I really AM glad to now know for sure what I'm doing. Someone mentioned that a HRM changed their whole fitness routine and I believe that's what will happen for me too.

I already WANT to work harder to get my heartrate up!!

Mine is a Polar FT4 but when I first got it... I was also slapped in the face. With all my workouts I thought I was burning about 700-1000 a day and its like half that :ohwell:
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Mine will be here tuesday and I CANT WAIT!
  • CPrincipeDeSA
    CPrincipeDeSA Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't have an FT7, but I do have an FT60. I was wondering if you did all the settings. There may be places where you can set your weight, age, etc. You didn't say how many minutes you were working and I don't do those types of routines myself, but those numbers do seem kind of low. If it's all set and everything then also make sure it's picking up your heart beat. If the contact isn't good between the belt and your chest it may not register. If that's a problem, wet the strips on the underside before strapping it on so the contact will be better. Anyways just some suggestions. The HRM is a very useful tool though.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    MFP is always about double what my HRM says too.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I feel ya baby....it is like a smack in the face when you see the calories burned on your HRM compaired to everything else...totally sucks, but at least with the HRM you know you have earned it!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't have an FT7, but I do have an FT60. I was wondering if you did all the settings. There may be places where you can set your weight, age, etc. You didn't say how many minutes you were working and I don't do those types of routines myself, but those numbers do seem kind of low. If it's all set and everything then also make sure it's picking up your heart beat. If the contact isn't good between the belt and your chest it may not register. If that's a problem, wet the strips on the underside before strapping it on so the contact will be better. Anyways just some suggestions. The HRM is a very useful tool though.

You can set everything in it. I can't remember which button it is but, it's one of the ones on the right side. You can figure it out by holding down one for a few seconds and seeing what happens. If it's not the settings go back and then hold down the next one. Start with the bottom one....I think it may be that one.

Edit - It's the one on the bottom left. Hold it down and you can adjust the time, user, etc. settings.
  • rag5051
    Options
    are ft7's a pain to wear all day?
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have a question about this - When I work out on machines at the gym (and there is a heart rate monitor on it) do you find that your HRM is definitely much different from those numbers as well? (you guys are scaring me!)

A HRM that attaches to you will always be more accurate then a generic machine. Most machines don't take into account height, weight, age..etc where a HRM does. Nothing it 100% accurate but a HRM that straps to your chest will give you the closest.

Also just wanted to mention I did the JM Shred and was always around the 200 burn mark and I was using the FT4 ( I think)
  • rosied915
    Options
    Somewhat confused by the abbreviations however, I feel as thought the MFP calculator is inaccurate and I want to find a better way to calculate calories burned. Can you help?

HRM= heart rate monitor
    JM= Jillian Michaels

According to my results using my Heart Rate Monitor, the MFP calorie calculator is Way off.
    BUT just to be fair, I am obviously way off in my estimation of the intensity of my workout. I feel, like many others do (at least I hope others do) that if I am dripping with sweat, then that's an intense workout.

According to the Heart Rate Monitor which is attached to YOUR particular body, that may not be the case.
  • joesan563
    joesan563 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with the group I was using a mio motiva strapless HRM and was floored to see how off it was once i got the polar ft7 MIO Motiva strapless HRM would tell me I would burn for instance 500 calories on a half workout when in reality the polar ft7 would show 265.

What a slap in the Face!

Joe
  • rosied915
    Options
    are ft7's a pain to wear all day?

I'm only going to wear for my workouts.